Any "good bang for your buck" RCA cables...?

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Any "good bang for your buck" RCA cables...?
« Reply #40 on: 18 Sep 2011, 09:37 pm »
I would like to give these a try-

http://www.hllyhifi.com/choseal-q854-hi-end-rca-audiol-cable-p-251.html

But I use BJC's and have not found a difference in sound with any cables that I have used.

Keoma

« Reply #41 on: 27 Sep 2011, 08:05 pm »
I have used Emotiva's X-Series RCA's (less than $40 for 1m) with great results. Compared to my $500/meter Nordost Red Dawn LS the difference is NOT huge by any means.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #42 on: 27 Sep 2011, 09:05 pm »
I really like the Zu Oxyfuel cables which sell for under $50 on ebay. I have a pair of Bottleheard Paramours which have inputs mounted on top. Because the Zu cables are very stiff and keep their shape, they are able to arch gracefully over the hot tubes without making contact.

If any of you guys are like me and constantly switch out your gear make sure your cable ends aren't too tight. I once pulled the entire RCA jack out of an amp still attached to the cable.

The Blue Jean cables also have great ends and will hold their grip yet are easy to remove.

ebag4

« Reply #43 on: 27 Sep 2011, 09:13 pm »
The Morrow Audio cables are reasonable and were an improvement over the various low priced mass market cables I was using before.

Best,
Ed

IronForge

« Reply #44 on: 17 Oct 2011, 07:19 pm »
I use monoprice.com cables.  Can anyone else comment on these?

ctk

« Reply #45 on: 20 Oct 2011, 11:37 pm »
I am really surprised and pleased with the IC from Virtue Audio...notably with lower power tube amps. I loan these out to friends once in a while and do miss them when they are gone, which is a good sign they do many things well.

Best,
Cory

ctk

« Reply #46 on: 20 Oct 2011, 11:41 pm »
oh yes! Cannot forget to mention any IC's from Auricle Audio. The Kaptons get most of the net praise, but I personally like the Teflon IC best. Takes bit longer to burn in as well as 'settling in' if removed for a bit (relative to the Kapton)
 :D

Cory

chgolatin2

« Reply #47 on: 22 Oct 2011, 03:33 am »
Or built your own~ simple, cheap and a good performance compared to high price cables which are basilly a designer series of bs, marketing bs and more bs! A good set of RCA cable shouldnt have to cost you an arm and a leg, $30 or $50 the MOST...  Buy used, check out Audiogon.com

Best of luck

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #48 on: 22 Oct 2011, 04:05 am »
Or built your own~ simple, cheap and a good performance.............

Yip.  :thumb:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #49 on: 22 Oct 2011, 04:44 am »
Or built your own~ simple, cheap and a good performance compared to high price cables which are basilly a designer series of bs, marketing bs and more bs! A good set of RCA cable shouldnt have to cost you an arm and a leg, $30 or $50 the MOST...  Buy used, check out Audiogon.com

Best of luck
if you want silver, it's hard to see how you can beat the price of these, even if you diy. (especially if you are wanting to buy more than one pair.):
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=98179.msg992513#msg992513

these are nice cables, imo.

doug s.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #50 on: 22 Oct 2011, 03:28 pm »
if you want silver, it's hard to see how you can beat the price of these, even if you diy. (especially if you are wanting to buy more than one pair.):
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=98179.msg992513#msg992513

these are nice cables, imo.

doug s.

Yes Doug, you mentioned these already.  I sympathize, I wanted my recommendation to be applauded as a vision revealed from on high.  But in these threads where someone asks for product recommendations, invariably we get a cacophony of opinions, each one like seagulls on the beach hollering "Mine!, Mine!".  Yet not one of us, myself included, has asked the OP about his system or preferences.     

Wayner

« Reply #51 on: 22 Oct 2011, 03:38 pm »
I am making my own cables now. I'm using 75 ohm RG-6 foil and braid shielded and am using gold plated compression fittings. There is no soldering involved, the connectors will never come off, and they have really low capacitance, like Bluejeans cable. I have a 1 meter pair that measures 58pf, including connectors. That is really low. The cable I use also has a single solid center wire, Which makes the cable somewhat stiffer, but there is some evidence to support a single solid conductor over multi-stranded.

I bought all of the tooling required to make the cables, so that allows me to make the cables as long, or as short as I want to. I have more cable to make for my sub-woofer, about 25 feet long.

Wayner

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #52 on: 22 Oct 2011, 03:42 pm »
Yes Doug, you mentioned these already.  I sympathize, I wanted my recommendation to be applauded as a vision revealed from on high.  But in these threads where someone asks for product recommendations, invariably we get a cacophony of opinions, each one like seagulls on the beach hollering "Mine!, Mine!".  Yet not one of us, myself included, has asked the OP about his system or preferences.     
i am not looking for applause; i am simply reiterating the fact that, unless you are willing to buy in bulk quantities, you won't be able to "diy" for any less money than some folks who do yust that, and sell the stuff out of their basement...

ymmv,

doug s.

Daedalus Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #53 on: 22 Oct 2011, 03:46 pm »
Q audio!!!!!! 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #54 on: 22 Oct 2011, 04:43 pm »
Q audio!!!!!!
mebbe these cables are the shiznit, but at $300 per 0.5m pair they're not even close to "good bang for your buck", imho...

ymmv,

doug s.

simoon

« Reply #55 on: 25 Oct 2011, 01:00 am »
What?!

No love for Simply Physics?

I think these are phenomenal for the price.

http://myworld.ebay.com/simplyphysics/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #56 on: 25 Oct 2011, 03:16 am »
If you can solder, this solution is the best I have found. I've had some high buck cables in my system and found these to be every bit as good to my ears. Cost is $8.50 for RCAs and about $.08 a foot for the wire per stereo pair.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pair-Pure-Copper-OFC-Silver-Plated-RCA-Connector-Plug-/290571823037?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item43a76e27bd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWG-23-5-Copper-Magnet-Wire-H200C-High-Temp-/250819667777?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a66046741

I have tried this style and it works...

V...

Martyn

« Reply #57 on: 25 Oct 2011, 04:25 am »
A couple of years ago I made up a pair of short RCA cables to go from a Squeezebox to my AKSA amplifier. I used some Canare Star Quad speaker cable left-overs and very modest gold-plated connectors. To my surpise (I'm not really a believer in cable magic), they were a noticable improvement over the stock Squeezebox RCA cable. Cost me very little, but provided lots of satisfaction.

low.pfile

« Reply #58 on: 25 Oct 2011, 04:50 am »
I am either BJC or monoprice. I hand down the un-needed cables (usually length determined) to friends entering the world of audio/ht.

I have been happy with both BJC and monoprice.

Cheerwino

« Reply #59 on: 25 Oct 2011, 11:27 am »
Another  :thumb: for Blue Jeans Cable and Monoprice.

I have both. Monoprice cables are perfectly serviceable but tend to be stiff and make very tight connections, so much so that they're hard to disconnect. If you switch gear around a lot or are cramped for space, some of the "softer" Blue Jeans cables might work better. They're just overall nicer. I'd also suggest Blue Jeans if the thought of a $2 interconnect is going to keep you up at night worrying about what you're missing or if you wish to minimize teasing by audio snobs who might be offended by your Monoprice.  :lol: