Car Crashers Photos...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Car Crashers Photos...
« on: 31 Aug 2011, 02:30 am »
Insurance anyone?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Car Crashers Photos...
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2011, 02:39 am »
This is what happens when you put a V12 transverse...

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2011, 05:25 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhKTFqUcCuY
Crash, THIS is a crash...
In case you are interested. The dude lived.

Elizabeth

« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2011, 06:26 am »
This is a better video of the same incident:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ6CPIM1ZCs&NR=1

enjoythemusic

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2011, 07:35 pm »
Technically, the red car is a typical engine fire... usually due to owners buying vintage cars yet not replacing all the fuel, oil and coolant lines. Happens to Ferrari cars with stupid owners all the time.

As for the Bentley, we all need 'donor' cars from time to time and there are so few Bentley 'parts cars' out there. There is A LOT going on under the hood of a Bentley CGT that is never seen by the owners (many parts, hoses, etc). It is a very solid car.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2011, 08:55 pm »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #6 on: 4 Sep 2011, 03:51 am »
"The white bit, at the right-hand side of the hole in the side of the car, is the clue. "

The graphic display (below) was placed at the Stockholm Motorcycle Fair by the Swedish Police and Road Safety Department. The sign above the display noted that the rider had only recently obtained his license.

The Honda rider was traveling at such a "very high speed", his reaction time was not sufficient enough to avoid this accident. Swedish Police estimate a speed of ~250 KM/h (155mph) before the bike hit the side of the slow moving car at an intersection. At that speed, they predicted that the rider's reaction time (once the Volkswagen came into view) wasn't sufficient enough for him to even apply the brakes.

The car had two occupants and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car with them, along with the motorcycle itself.
The Volkswagen actually flipped over from the force of impact and landed 10 feet from where the collision took place.
All three involved (two in the car, plus the rider) were killed instantly.

At 250 KM (155 mph) the operator is traveling at 227 feet per second. With normal reaction time to SEE-DECIDE-REACT of 1.6 seconds the above operator would have traveled over 363 feet while making a decision on what actions to take. In this incident the Swedish police indicate that no [such] actions were taken.   :o

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #7 on: 4 Sep 2011, 04:11 am »

this and the last are a couple of the worst pics i have seen.  in this one, look closely to the left of the license plate, and below the semi's door handle 2nd from the left. 

doug s.

Elizabeth

« Reply #8 on: 4 Sep 2011, 04:26 am »
The worst pic i had ever seen was in a driver's ed class back in?? 1965. It was some official (16mm film) driver-ed shocker and it really was shocking.
The only thing i remember is an image of a car that hit the back of a semi. You could see three childrens heads crushed into the small triangular front vent window (i forget what they were called. most cars had small swivel triangular windows in front of front windows for directing air inside)
Anyway the three little smashed up bloody faces crushed into that space.
Back then they only had reality to scare folks.
I NEVER forgot that image.
In real life as a teen I and a few friends heard a crash, and ran around the corner. A guy had rear ended a bus at like 35mph (1962 maybe?) and the guy was clearly dead sitting in the drivers' seat. We kids were the first ones there and we had no idea whatt to do. All the doors were jammed shut.We could see the guys right hand was inside the radio. He must have been tuning the station and never saw the bus had stopped in the middle of the block for some unknown reason. he did not look very smashed up. Just not alive. (If we had any sense we would have smashed a window to get inside and check a pulse, then start trying to bring the guy back from the dead.. i am certain back then no one did stuff like that...
Even the bus driver got there after us, and just stared at the guy.

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #9 on: 5 Sep 2011, 06:05 pm »
Back in 2003, friend of mine had a head on crash with a lorry (not the large semi but a smaller one) in his 99' Merc S500 @ around ~80MPH on the motorway in pouring rain.

His driver was clearly driving too fast in the rain and they were going down slope. The car went out of control, smashed across the barrier, went onto the opposite lane and crashed into the lorry. The car then spinned 180 degrees due to the momentum and the back end smashed off the lorry's front axle and both wheels.

He was sitting in the front passenger seat, belted in, although the crash triggered all the front air-bags and curtains but the brute force still broke 11 of his ribs and caused a severe pneumohemothorax, but he was lucky enough to survive mainly because there happened to be a very well equipped hospital not far away and the rescue arrived in under just 8 minutes. But the peoples in the back weren't so lucky, the two friends sitting on both sides of the rear seats got thrown out of the car and killed

But his wife and his young son both sitting in the middle of the back seat miraculously survived and suffered only minor injuries.  I was so shocked by the immense power and courage a mother could dispay in a dire event to protect her children . She said she crossed her arms and grabbed onto both of the handles on the back of the front seats so she could protect her son under her body. 

Btw, those god-o-mighty german handles, they're tough :bowdown:  I once checked the back handles of another similar S-class, although wrapped in leather, the center was made of some tough synthetic material and the flexible material on both ends goes very deep into the backs and almost impossible to pull off..

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 5 Sep 2011, 08:23 pm »
I was home from college for Christmas break in the winter of 1967 and one night I borrowed my Dad's new Chevy to do some shopping at the neighborhood mall. A cross wind by a cemetery created a patch of black ice. The wind gently slid the Chevy into the opposite lane of the 2 lane road and I hit a Buick head-on.

The Buick fared a little better

Watching a pair of headlights coming straight at you in slow motion changes a person. Luckily we were going only 25 mph each and the cars did what they are supposed to do. The other driver and I both survived. I was wearing my seat belt and only lost a few teeth to the steering wheel.

Two lane roads at night can still freak me out.

Wayne