Soundfield Audio Monitor 1

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
Soundfield Audio Monitor 1
« on: 28 Aug 2011, 07:08 pm »
Hello all,

Soundfield Audio introduces the Monitor 1, a bookshelf sized speaker (17x10x12.5) with full ranged sound, obtained by using a 5.5" passive coaxial midwoofer/tweeter and an active 8" long throw subwoofer, powered by it's own 300 watt amplifier.
Introductory pricing is $1000/pr.
Details can be found here: http://soundfieldaudio.net/Home.html
Listener reviews from Capital Audiofest http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91026.0.

cheers,

AJ

Saturn94

Re: Soundfield Audio Monitor 1
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2011, 06:11 pm »
Congratulations on your official launch. :thumb:

I wish you great success!

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2011, 06:34 pm »
Congrats on the new company and product!  It's great to see someone take a different approach to monitor speakers.  Your design appears to be very clever and innovative, and, judging by the responses from people, very good sounding! 

I don't know how you are making any money at that price but I hope you continue offering these types of designs!

Cheers,

J

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2011, 03:16 pm »
  Looks great, best of luck.

charles

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2011, 03:22 pm »
Best of Luck and by the way your Avatar looks much better than the old one :icon_lol:

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2011, 03:36 pm »
Best of Luck and by the way your Avatar looks much better than the old one :icon_lol:

Thanks Phil. I only look like that now when I have to knock off a bank to keep my speakers prices so low :lol:.

Working on getting a couple more out there....

Chris Adams

« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2011, 11:59 pm »
AJ, I'm really intrigued by these speakers and what I've read. I'll be sending you an email.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #7 on: 6 Sep 2011, 04:29 am »
Hi AJ,

Did you ever try the reverse scheme of gloss baffle and satin or wood sides?

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 6 Sep 2011, 03:09 pm »
I think this is a brilliant concept. I don't really understand the reasoning behind the questions about highpassing and so on - it looks like the perfect speaker product for smaller rooms and limited budget. For example, I drive a Mini - I love it, it's perfect for me and my better half. But we don't have kids, dogs, or cargo to carry either. I wouldn't try and re-engineer a Mini into a people-mover.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #9 on: 6 Sep 2011, 03:53 pm »
I think this is a brilliant concept. I don't really understand the reasoning behind the questions about highpassing and so on - it looks like the perfect speaker product for smaller rooms and limited budget. For example, I drive a Mini - I love it, it's perfect for me and my better half. But we don't have kids, dogs, or cargo to carry either. I wouldn't try and re-engineer a Mini into a people-mover.
i think it's a brilliant concept, too.  but, as someone who has used small speakers w/an outboard subwoofer system in huge rooms to great effect, this speaker also sounds intriguing for for other uses than smaller rooms/limited budgets.  unlike a mini-cooper for people hauling, haha!

doug s.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #10 on: 6 Sep 2011, 04:10 pm »
Hi AJ,

Did you ever try the reverse scheme of gloss baffle and satin or wood sides?

Hi Russell,

Well, seeing that I'm using an "off the shelf" PE 0.75 TW cabinet....no I have not :D.
Making my own cabs would make the already "break even" low price point untenable. I am trying to absolutely maximize audible performance where it counts (yes, I am fully aware of the overwhelming psycho-acoustic evidence that better looking "sounds" better :wink:). The stock cabs (and IMO, quite nice) are a means to that end. These aren't the greatest of times economically...and lord knows, IMO, there are plenty enough heftily priced (and perhaps much better looking) products on the market. However, I would not shy away from a head to head showdown with anything of (reasonably) similar size, regardless of cost (gasp! :green:). Preferably blind, but I'm ok with sighted too. The fact that I drew a rave from a guy who thought they looked like "Franken-speakers" and absurdly out of place at a "High end" event, tells me that even strong visual/price biases can be overcome with the right...soundfield :lol:.

cheers,

AJ

neekomax

« Reply #11 on: 6 Sep 2011, 04:47 pm »
Hey! My white/maple SAM1s are gorgeous!

Maybe that's why I think they sound so damn righteous?  :scratch:

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #12 on: 6 Sep 2011, 05:25 pm »
Maybe that's why I think they sound so damn righteous?  :scratch:

I hope not :wink:.
Glad you like them. Shipped another one today to an AC member. Guess we'll see if it's just looks. :lol:

neekomax

« Reply #13 on: 6 Sep 2011, 05:35 pm »
I do really like them. They've made listening to music very exciting and pleasurable. Before I got them I was looking into eq hardware and treatments so that I could 'fix' my room's acoustic problems.

Now, the idea seems laughable. :lol: There's absolutely nothing left to fix. I actually can't believe it.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #14 on: 6 Sep 2011, 05:40 pm »
Hi Russell,

Well, seeing that I'm using an "off the shelf" PE 0.75 TW cabinet....no I have not :D.
Making my own cabs would make the already "break even" low price point untenable. I am trying to absolutely maximize audible performance where it counts (yes, I am fully aware of the overwhelming psycho-acoustic evidence that better looking "sounds" better :wink:). The stock cabs (and IMO, quite nice) are a means to that end. These aren't the greatest of times economically...and lord knows, IMO, there are plenty enough heftily priced (and perhaps much better looking) products on the market. However, I would not shy away from a head to head showdown with anything of (reasonably) similar size, regardless of cost (gasp! :green:). Preferably blind, but I'm ok with sighted too. The fact that I drew a rave from a guy who thought they looked like "Franken-speakers" and absurdly out of place at a "High end" event, tells me that even strong visual/price biases can be overcome with the right...soundfield :lol:.
cheers,
AJ
Understood, and in the final analysis - beauty is as beauty does. The better something works, the better it looks!
RD

saisunil

« Reply #15 on: 6 Sep 2011, 06:56 pm »
I have been looking for a reference level monitor that would in low 30's and this looks like it ... sending pm
« Last Edit: 7 Sep 2011, 10:50 pm by saisunil »

JohnR

« Reply #16 on: 7 Sep 2011, 10:41 am »
i think it's a brilliant concept, too.  but, as someone who has used small speakers w/an outboard subwoofer system in huge rooms to great effect, this speaker also sounds intriguing for for other uses than smaller rooms/limited budgets.  unlike a mini-cooper for people hauling, haha!

doug s.

I guess Aj would be able to tell you what output levels you could get by highpassing the inbuilt sub, but still, to me it just looks really well matched to a purpose the way it is.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #17 on: 11 Sep 2011, 02:42 am »
Hello all,

Soundfield Audio introduces the Monitor 1, a bookshelf sized speaker (17x10x12.5) with full ranged sound, obtained by using a 5.5" passive coaxial midwoofer/tweeter and an active 8" long throw subwoofer, powered by it's own 300 watt amplifier.
Introductory pricing is $1000/pr.
Details can be found here: http://soundfieldaudio.net/Home.html
Listener reviews from Capital Audiofest http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91026.0.

cheers,

AJ
AJ, very cool!  Nice looking design and a great introductory product and pricepoint.

Welcome to the darkside of audio manufacturing.  :thumb: You have my best wishes on your new venture.

Dave

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #18 on: 12 Sep 2011, 12:54 am »
AJ, very cool!  Nice looking design and a great introductory product and pricepoint.

Welcome to the darkside of audio manufacturing.  :thumb: You have my best wishes on your new venture.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Darkside indeed, having just spent the entire weekend trying to fulfill orders...despite awful weather all day Sat  :cuss:

Going to RMAF? Pretty sure Danny is. Think I may just crash the party.....:icon_twisted:

cheers,

AJ

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #19 on: 12 Sep 2011, 02:35 am »
Thanks Dave. Darkside indeed, having just spent the entire weekend trying to fulfill orders...despite awful weather all day Sat  :cuss:

Going to RMAF? Pretty sure Danny is. Think I may just crash the party.....:icon_twisted:

cheers,

AJ
AJ, we'll all be in room 2024 of the Marriott tower, just like last year.  Please stop by.  It will be interesting for you, I'm sure.  Bring some tunes that will play on a Mac Mini.  Mach2 will be in there with Danny as well as dB Audio Labs.  We always make good music.

Dave