Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread

simoon

Re: Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread
« Reply #620 on: 22 Nov 2017, 12:38 am »
The new Contortionist, Clairvoyant,  is pretty amazing!

Not quite as good as their previous, Language, but still great.

Great, complex melodies, some nice atmospheres, chops galore, and emotion.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=post;topic=97938.600;last_msg=1645193

kingdeezie

« Reply #621 on: 22 Nov 2017, 12:53 am »
+1.

I think I am starting to like it more than Language however. It took a while to grow on me, but it just flows so well from start to finish. Monochrome (Pensive) is an excellent closing track.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #622 on: 2 Dec 2017, 09:26 pm »
Black Sabbath : Sabbath Bloody Sabbath in HiRez

JoshK

« Reply #623 on: 27 Jan 2018, 04:52 pm »
So I imagine you guys that are going on the Cruise are getting super stoked right now!!  I tried to get a last minute ticket, but no luck so far.  I was going to try to pull it off last minute.   The lineup is insane!

If I were to make it, this is my must see list (haven't seen before, an many are European bands that don't tour NA much):
Aeternam
Benighted
In Mourning
Septic Flesh
Naglfar
Necrophobic
Wolfheart
Obscura
Voivod
October Tide

Plus bands I absolutely love, but have seen before, still want to see again:
Dark Tranquillity (seen twice)
Meshuggah (seen twice and they are insane)
Enslaved (seen once before opening for Amon Amarth and seeing them again on the 20th of Feb)
Goatwhore (once before, excellent live)
Insomnium (seen once and am seeing in May again)
Beyond Creation (seen once in tiny venue, fantastic)
Swallow the Sun  (seen twice and they are fantastic live)

Then there are bands I probably would like to see like:
Sepultura
Aborted
Exhumed
Alestorm could be fun even though it isn't my style
Cannibal Corpse just because
Kreator is worth seeing
Witchery
Gyze

That would be pretty hard to pull off I think.  No sleep.

Who are you guys absolutely seeing?

FireGuy

« Reply #624 on: 27 Jan 2018, 05:25 pm »
JoshK - could not muster up a few tickets for 70,000 tons for 2018.  We were on the bottom of the pecking order and since this mega event is so treasured and in super high demand, we got smoked.   I think the web had GP up for any 1/2 hour and that was all she wrote. 

However, got booked on Monsters of Rock.   :thumb: 80's 90's vibe and there is some damn good music to be had.  Lita Ford, Doro, QUEENSRŸCHE, Telsa and Great White are (IMO) doing the headlining duties.

I think once the event gets in gear we're golden.  It's about the music, atmosphere, meet & greets, tattoos and the opportunity to be with metal people... of which will be as happy as hell  :D

Sail date is Feb 11 out of Miami.  Pre-party (concert) two nights before the sail ta boot.  No charge to booked passengers.

Will do a review post when back in port. 

http://monstersofrockcruise.com/the-bands/

JoshK

« Reply #625 on: 28 Jan 2018, 12:44 am »
Enjoy the MOR cruise.  Not really my cup of tea, but sounds like fun.   BTW, my best of 2017 list copy/paste from another forum (metal-fi.com).

Ok, I guess I am going to do this the wrong way, and list my top 8 first. They were the easier picks. The next 8-16 I can't seem to order in any sensible way yet, more listening is in order for me.

My list is non-kvlt. I spent a good portion of the year listening to a lot of old starwalts that I never gave a listen to before (Obituary, Sepultura, Decapitated, Morbid Angel, etc). Maybe if I knew a lot more of the classics I would have a better frame of reference from which to judge, but who gives a fuck really? I like what I like. I like progressiveness if it isn’t wankery. I like melody if it is coupled with some hard hitting elements as well. I like technicality if it isn’t in lieu of good song-writing. I also really like a good riff and a groove that catches you.

I have a hard time ranking in an absolute sense albums, particularly if they are very different styles. My list is a bit more clusters. The top cluster (8 listed here) represents albums that I really loved and played many times and see myself playing them many times again. The next cluster is albums I really liked but maybe haven’t given enough time to in order to have a sense whether they should be higher up or lower down the list. I might have bought them recently or maybe just didn’t get around to listening a lot.

8) Hegemon :Initium Belli –Credit goes to Hungus for this tasty piece of black metal. It might rank higher if it wasn’t for I’ve only had a few spins of it. I’m in a busy time of the year for work, so haven’t had enough time.

7) Havukruunu :Kelle Surut Soi –Others have mentioned that this album isn’t as good as Havulinnaan, and I might agree, but I still played the absolute shit out of this album. It is the kind of black metal that I like. I am not really into a ton of black metal, but this hits home for me.

6) Venenum :Trance of Death –This album just has me banging my head. It rocks. It has crunch. It keeps my interest. It was the standard death metal album go-to this year for me.

5) Power Trip :Nightmare Logic –This one seems to be a bit contentious, so love it, some don’t get it. I was never much of a thrash fan growing up. I completely missed the crossover thrash era. This album is just fun, like serious crank it and rock the fuck out fun. That works for me.

4) Ordos :House of the Dead –This was from the very beginning of the year, but I listened to it a bunch of times. I don’t normally like doom, but this heavy doom (death doom?) is heavy hitting and doesn’t bore me like most doom. It’s my go-to in this style. I liked Khemmis from last year, and I like this a few times better.

3) Wormwood :Ghostlands –this one is melodic, which I like and has good influx of folk, which makes it more interesting to me than Aosoth’s album, even though I did like that later as well. Guess I am not a goat fucker yet.

2) Archspire : Relentless Mutation –ok, so I very much like the technical side of metal, especially death metal. One of my good friends here, big nerd like myself (him PhD in Engineering, me MSc in Applied Math) is a big fan of tech death. We have seen a few shows together including Beyond Creation. [btw, his tech-death pic is Sutrah – Dunes]. Archspire encompasses what I feel modern tech death should be and still retains an eye on the song as a whole before wanking off with the guitar (ala Origin, imho). Its high ranking reflex my current sensibilities that could change over time, but no apologies.

1) Aeternam :Ruins of Empires –I’m, an unapologetic MDM lover, but I admittedly have grown tired of a lot of the bands in the sub-genre. Too many mediocre bands. Too much blatant copying, often too little ‘death’ remains. Enter Aeternam from Quebec City, Quebec. Fact: the best rock and metal festivals in Canada are definitely in Quebec. Back to the show, these dudes are the embodiment of all the best things of MDM together with some really cool Middle Eastern influences. My girlfriend of 1.5yrs is Persian. She loved this band straight off the bat (she was a fan of Opeth before I met her, she now loves Gojira, Aeternam, Insomnium and a few others too). She pointed out the precise influence to me in a day of dissection of musical influences.

FireGuy

« Reply #626 on: 17 Feb 2018, 07:45 pm »
JoshK - could not muster up a few tickets for 70,000 tons for 2018.  We were on the bottom of the pecking order and since this mega event is so treasured and in super high demand, we got smoked.   I think the web had GP up for any 1/2 hour and that was all she wrote. 

However, got booked on Monsters of Rock.   :thumb: 80's 90's vibe and there is some damn good music to be had.  Lita Ford, Doro, QUEENSRŸCHE, Telsa and Great White are (IMO) doing the headlining duties.

I think once the event gets in gear we're golden.  It's about the music, atmosphere, meet & greets, tattoos and the opportunity to be with metal people... of which will be as happy as hell  :D

Sail date is Feb 11 out of Miami.  Pre-party (concert) two nights before the sail ta boot.  No charge to booked passengers.

Will do a review post when back in port. 

http://monstersofrockcruise.com/the-bands/

Well, it's over.  Fantastic, once or twice-in-a-life time event.  MOR 2018 was my first experience on a quality music cruise.  I'll be posting way more info in a bit... need to clear my head, organize my thoughts and articulate the details.

Eddie Trunk (former host of That Metal Show) did a hell of job hosting and broadcasting (daily).

Other than Queensryche, surprise band on the trip was Pink Cream 69.  Super engaging metal core group.  Blew me away.

http://pinkcream69.de/
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2018, 01:38 am by FireGuy »

milford3

« Reply #627 on: 17 Feb 2018, 08:31 pm »
FireGuy, I was on that cruise.  Home now resting up.  A once in a live time vacation and my first cruise.  So many bands to mention.  So many bands were outstanding...  But my favorite artist was Lita Ford by far. She looks great and sounds better than ever. 

http://www.litafordonline.com/

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #628 on: 9 Mar 2018, 03:16 pm »
Just out today:

Judas Priest : Firepower

JoshK

« Reply #629 on: 10 Mar 2018, 03:47 am »
I am planning to cue that one up soon.  I have been super connected with all the Judas Priest best to worst threads in the metal media, it has been fun.  It's meant to be a ripper. 

I am listening to the first ever Black Metal Album where I can say it was recording superbly, it retains the harsh/raw elements of the BM sound while having superb production, it isn't uber crushed in dynamics (the DR score).  Major separation happens for me.  One of the only times I've heard it like a good recording while I've adventuring into BM.  I thought you guys might give it a go, you might actually really like it.  It is one of the best SQ albums I found in BM.

https://war-anthem-records.bandcamp.com/album/fall-from-reality

JoshK

« Reply #630 on: 10 Mar 2018, 04:03 am »
Here is another great atmospheric blackish metal that is actually recorded well.
https://open.spotify.com/album/5OXrHU8mW9u5ojwDkypLAA?si=SHqYUtqoTgCmNNC8aISFCw

JoshK

« Reply #631 on: 10 Mar 2018, 04:45 am »
Just out today:

Judas Priest : Firepower

It is pretty awesome. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #632 on: 10 Mar 2018, 01:18 pm »
Love it. 

Know one of the engineers on the recording, so had been waiting on the release.  They all sound great!

FireGuy

« Reply #633 on: 20 Mar 2018, 05:29 pm »
Found this today.  Very rare indeed on first listen to be in consideration for my album of the year.  Love these types of surprises.    Excellent Tech Death Metal in all respects.

Rivers of Nihil "Where Owls Know My Name"