SxyCenter Dipole for HT

matevana

SxyCenter Dipole for HT
« on: 24 Aug 2011, 11:55 pm »
Recently I set out to reap the benefits of traditional open back speakers in a small, inexpensive, center channel speaker for Home Theater applications.  Aside from the low cost, sonic goals also included ultra clear and natural sounding movie dialogue, relatively high efficiency, and a small footprint. Due to the information contained in most center channel material, an uber-flat frequency response was not necessarily a major priority of this project; instead giving way to the goal of achieving unconstrained, non-tubby spoken dialogue that is often not prevalent in many cabinet based CC systems. A secondary goal was aesthetic in nature, since CC speakers are always in plain sight during a movie.

The SxyCenter was going to be driven by a small Tripath stereo amp in a bi-amped fashion. In this case, a Dayton DTA-100 was used. Since one of the project goals was low cost, I decided to take advantage of a current buyout driver, namely the Brazilian made Bravox 6.5"  12 ohm poly driver at around ten bucks per unit. They have nice poly cones and a rather impressive (and silent) plastic basket assembly. My drivers total Q measured between .55 and .60 which would roughly hit the mark for OB. A pair of these would be mated to an Usher 9950 soft dome tweeter, which required almost no attenuation once BSC was factored in. Dipole roll-off would be addressed in the digital domain.

After many hours of testing strictly with dialogue, it became apparent that many of the more traditional rules did not apply. For example, my preference in achieving the proper weight associated with most human voices, occurred only when the Bravox were allowed to roll-off naturally. Similarly, the Usher 9950 was crossed with a singe film and foil cap, with a value of 1.2 uf.

The content from the single RCA center out was split using am RCA to dual-RCA cable. This would allow both channels of the DTA-100 Tripath amp to be used, since this particular amp cannot be bridged. One side sees a 6 ohm load, from the two Bravox wired in parallel. The other channel is used to biamp the Usher with a more traditional 8 ohm load. Both sides are quite easy on the amp, as I can detect no additional heat build up after many hours of use. As mentioned, there is no need to further attenuate the 9950 which came out to be a happy coincidence.

I was able to purchase the drivers, baffle material, and hardware for well under a hundred dollars. The results are excellent considering the price. I have always been surprised by the apparent lack of interest that many people have in designing OB center channel speakers. I hope this weekend project inspires others to give it a try. You wont be disappointed!

JohnR

Re: SxyCenter Dipole for HT
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2011, 12:16 am »
Hi, interesting project  :thumb: Perhaps one reason for not seeing more is difficulty of placement. Anyway, when you say you are doing dipole compensation in the digital domain, what are you using there?

matevana

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2011, 12:36 am »
Hi, interesting project  :thumb: Perhaps one reason for not seeing more is difficulty of placement. Anyway, when you say you are doing dipole compensation in the digital domain, what are you using there?

I'm using between 3-9dB of boost from a PEQ between 40Hz and 125Hz selectively. I basically EQ'd the range flat from around 60Hz through 250Hz. The rest of the spectrum is untouched, with the exception of a small notch centered at 630Hz which may be a result of some bounce from the rack it currently sits on.

Placement was not nearly the challenge I had anticipated. While my front L/R dipoles are a good 3 ft from the rear wall, I find that the center is far less fussy with regard to placement issues... perhaps due in part to the content of the material itself.  Currently it sits on top of an audio rack, directly under a flat screen TV. The speaker is only 15" from the rear wall and I am detecting little if any adverse reflections or smearing. The dialogue just seems very natural and the depth of the sound stage is also very realistic. Since many boxed speakers are at least that deep, its final location isn't much different.     

matevana

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2011, 12:49 pm »
Update: After throwing everything at this speaker for two weeks, I am still favorably impressed. Spent lots of time A/B'ing with an NHT Center Channel 1 and I can honestly say I prefer this for movie dialogue. It is more naturally reverberant, unconstrained and intelligible with speech. The SC-1 is superior for multi-channel music, in part due to its more complex crossover and its ability to play deeper.

I would also like to put in a plug for the Bravox buy-out speakers from PE. Really nice sounding poly cones, well made, good in OB and at $10 a piece you really cant beat 'em. Excursion at 5mm p-p with no basket noise isn't too shabby at this price point either.