Bryston, long road. Anybody else got a story?

mike678

Bryston, long road. Anybody else got a story?
« on: 24 Aug 2011, 10:40 pm »
I have been in the audiophile hobby/delusional state since the early 70's. I met my first Bryston amp in the 70's. While not "state of the art" at that time, it was a bargain among SS amps. At that time I lusted after the Krells, Levinsons, Audio Research, Audible Illusions, and other such ilk. But I was a mere tradesman, with a family to raise, and thus had to make do with what I could make, beg for,  or buy cheaply.

Fast forward to 2003, when I came into a small bit of money. Now I could finally buy a decent system! I went to the Mac/Levinson store with cash in hand and...found that they did not want to be bothered. What the heck? So, that same night I went to another store, one that sold Bryston gear. They made me feel like they actually wanted my business, giving a great demo with plenty of time for me to audition. (The store is now defunct. Go figure.)I bought my 4BSSTand BP25 there on the idea that "it was good enough to make do". Later I did purchase (used) some Levinson, Spectron, Spectral, Threshold, Atma-sphere, and other highly sought after gear to feed my Audiophillia Nervosa.

Here is the point...after all that, and the money spent, the gear that is still here is...the Bryston. Everything else had a "flavor" where it would be wonderful in one system, but horrible in another. The Bryston, on the other hand, always acquitted itself well and was always my "go to" gear when I wanted to be sure of a good shootout with others systems. In virtually every case, in others homes, the Bryston came in second to their favorite gear (usually the one that the system was dialed around). Comments like "its just so relaxing and musical" "I didn't know SS could sound this good" and so on were made. More than a few ditched their tube gear.

In the last 18 months I advised a friend to use Bryston on his $200k speakers. His dealer laughed, but I got around it by saying "Oh, its just for the bass, and we all know Bryston is great there." He agreed on that point and ordered up a pair of 4BSST2. Well, as I got the system more and more dialed in the Bryston started surpassing the $60k  and $100k tube and SS amps. My client, with my prodding, then ordered up a full stack of 28B's. The dealer, now a believer, signed up to be an authorized dealer for Bryston. (He now states that he sells more Bryston stuff than anything else.)

From being "good enough to make do" to "damn, this stuff can compete with anybody" is quite a road of discovery.

mkaiser

Re: Bryston, long road. Anybody else got a story?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2011, 10:54 pm »
Hey Mike,
Now you have to convince him he doesn't have to spend 200k on a pair of speakers to get comparable sound from something else costing less.  8)

Mark

mike678

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2011, 12:59 am »
Already being done. But, working with giant horns and plasma tweeters is fun!

Stu Pitt

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2011, 01:40 am »
The true allure to Bryston for me is that it simply gets out of the way.  The least sonic signature of anything else I've heard.

The warranty and James & Co's customer service are equally great, however they'd be irrelevant if the gear didn't sound great.  Luckily, we've got the best of both worlds with Bryaton IMO. 

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2011, 01:56 am »
Mike, an outstanding story. I've been buying Bryston gear for its performance, warranty, service and reasonable price, also since the 70s, but I have no story like yours which is a powerful testament.

jaxwired

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2011, 02:32 am »
Mike,

Great story.  You painted a nice picture of your journey. 

My Bryston story is boring by comparison.  I ended up with Bryston for a couple of reasons.  For a long time I was a NAD user and I still think they make fantastic products, but I wanted to upgrade my electronics without breaking the bank.  Bryston is just plain good value.  They had the high end street cred and I love how Bryston doesn't have "good better best" product lines.  I also love how Bryston products look sort of minimalist, like it's only the sound that matters.  I hate flashy equipment.  And lastly I noticed that Larry Greenhill of stereophile uses Bryston for his reference as does the What HiFi staff.   

But compared to you Mike, I'm just starting my Bryston journey...

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2011, 03:43 am »
Mike,

that the dealer now is a believer tells a thousand storys... :thumb:

say music, say Bryston.

al.

mike678

« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2011, 07:25 pm »
It's a funny thing. This guy actually SELLS his Bryston gear. Most stores I have been in hide the Bryston stuff, and if you ask about it they say something like  "it's a pro amp, made to be reliable but its not musical" and so on. As if reliability and quality are mutually exclusive!  I think many places signed up with Bryston just so they could keep it from being sold by competitors. And, if the customer insisted on a demo, they would demo it with cables that accentuated brightness and ,in general, did what they could to make the other gear sound superior.

One dealer, on the QT, told me that the reasons stores did that is that Bryston ruined their business model; they relied on customers constantly changing their tastes, or the gear changing due to degradation in the parts. The problem with Bryston buyers was that, sure, they could hear the difference between the very best SS and the Bryston gear (this was in 1993) but were more than happy with what the Bryston could do and would keep the Bryston and not get on the endless upgrade path needed to keep the store running.

See, the way that  Bryston sounded was the way it would continue to sound for the next few decades. It would not degrade.  A lot of  gear changed over time, by quite a bit in fact. He mentioned the names of the stuff that was, well, variable, in its sound.  I could understand the tube stuff, but there was a lot of SS gear in that camp too.  Price had no bearing on that.

Even after all that, my own experiences included (for instance, before the 20 year warranty, I new only one person that EVER payed for a Bryston repair...and it involved beer spilled in the amplifier), and seeing the dirty tricks in the stores, the high-end myths were too hard to shake. I STILL lusted after the tweaky gear! It finally took me being able to actually work with the gear in question and, compare over a long time period , to appreciate what a wonder the Bryston company is.

No, I don't think Bryston gear is perfect. They are man-made and have flaws too. But, they are easy to live with flaws, they are consistent from unit to unit, and the company stands behind their stuff. I guess what I mean here is that the gear seems amongst the most "human"  of SS gear. Like good tube gear, you might be able to "pick out" some flaw or other but, really, just not care. The music is there. (Some other pro amps have that quality too.)

For instance, is their 1.5 phono stage my favorite phono stage? No, a tubed behemoth is. But it IS my favorite backup preamp, always delivering a balanced  musical performance that other, flashier and more expensive, SS preamps just cant do. It is a joy.

GaryArthur

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2011, 08:04 pm »
No, I don't think Bryston gear is perfect.

Maybe you are not familiar with the 28B-SST^2's.  :D

srb

« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2011, 08:15 pm »
Maybe you are not familiar with the 28B-SST^2's.  :D

They are good backup amplifiers.   ;)

Steve

mike678

« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2011, 10:07 pm »

They are good backup amplifiers.   ;)

Steve

LOL. I should be so lucky as to have a "few" 28B's as backup! As far as I can tell the 28 is as close to perfect as an amplifier as I have ever seen. That's probably why I got my wealthy friend/client to buy a stack of 4 28's and 2 7's for his active  system. I am forced to have to "make do" with a pair of cast-off 4BSST2. Oh the humanity!

As to the 1.5 phono stage....it has competed with, and won against, preamps here that cost more than five times as much as itself. But it is an old design, I don't think Bryston has updated it to this day.   I would love to see Bryston revisit the design. As it is my gigantor Wavestream phono stage just does a few things a wee bit better, primarily in dynamic behavior. 

PRELUDE

« Reply #11 on: 25 Aug 2011, 11:11 pm »
I have a lot of stories but they not good to hear.Because it is hurt some people and nobody smiles.
The reason of having this stories was me not them because in my very early years,I am talking about 13 to 14 I had a dream and it was not any name brand.I only wanted to build not to buy.
I think the problem with some people is the brain not the eyes.I have been a long time Bryston user and I have been bad mouth a lot for that too which is never bothered me.
Long time ago some one told me that nothing is sound good to his ears but Mark Levinson.I asked him how about Bryston?And he told me Bryston is good for people that do not want to pay for repair.I said ok.
I find a used Mark levinson and the owner needed the money and he gave me a price that I could not pass it.I bought the amp and I had a old Kenwood power amp which I was using as a set up in my work shop.I opend the ML and took the whole amp out and replace it with $200 kenwood and put the empty Kenwood box in the basement.I called this Mr. right and told him if he would like to come over to hear a ML and he came over right away.I started  the music and he said solid state does not get better then this.I almost swallowed the hot coffee and asked him,How about some old Kenwood I heard they had a good model.And he told me he would die before listen to the Kenwood.I did not tell him that ML was nothing but $200 Kenwood just the box was ML.Then I asked him if He ever heard any active system and he told me he does not understand that what I am talking about.Now we are here for 6 hours.I took him to the room which was my main active system with 4 Bryston amps and DIY speakers and electronic crossover.I told him sit down and started the music.It took only 10 min and he told me that he thinks he was deaf for 25 years.This is not the whole story but I think it is enough.

mike678

« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2011, 11:39 pm »
...opend the ML and took the whole amp out and replace it with $200 kenwood and put the empty Kenwood box in the basement.I called this Mr. right and told him if he would like to come over to hear a ML and he came over right away.I started  the music and he said solid state does not get better then this.I almost swallowed the hot coffee and asked him,How about some old Kenwood I heard they had a good model.And he told me he would die before listen to the Kenwood.I did not tell him that ML was nothing but $200 Kenwood just the box was ML.Then I asked him if He ever heard any active system and he told me he does not understand that what I am talking about.Now we are here for 6 hours.I took him to the room which was my main active system with 4 Bryston amps and DIY speakers and electronic crossover.I told him sit down and started the music.It took only 10 min and he told me that he thinks he was deaf for 25 years.This is not the whole story but I think it is enough.
[/quote]

I love stories like this. I have done "black box" demos too and it is hilarious the results I get. For the cable folk, I will have some super expensive cable visible and they will just gush at how wonderful that cable is, and I let them go on until they just cant back out...then they find out that I am actually using Mogami or somesuch. Some folks just can't handle it, and I never see them again. Others try to tell me they heard something wrong all along...riiiiiigggghhht. Got you on tape here dude....And, oh yeah, its been done to me too! Best just to laugh at human frailties and move on.

One friend of mine had opted to try my suggestion that he use the dbx dsp crossover on his Martin Logans (on the woofer section) and power the panels and woofer with two good pro amplifiers via studio cables. He tried it out, dialed it all in, and in a week reported that this was the first time he heard real dynamics from his stats. He was very pleased, and was getting ready to sell off his Uber tube amp. I suggested that he get his audiophile friends over for a listen, but leave the tube amp visible and on so that they would think that was the amp working. He did the demo, his "friends" were over the top in praising the sound...until he showed them what he was using for amps and cables. Shock and consternation! This can not be!!...eh, most never came back.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #13 on: 26 Aug 2011, 12:50 am »
You guys reminded me of something I always wanted to do in college...

Get a keg of O'Doul's or some other non-alcoholic beer and serve it at a party as if it were a regular beer.  I'd love to watch people get sloppy drunk on NA beer.  It has to have been done before. 

mike678

« Reply #14 on: 26 Aug 2011, 01:29 am »

Get a keg of O'Doul's or some other non-alcoholic beer and serve it at a party as if it were a regular beer.  I'd love to watch people get sloppy drunk on NA beer.  It has to have been done before.

I used to like to do the opposite.....put real alcohol in the near-beer.....

PRELUDE

« Reply #15 on: 26 Aug 2011, 01:57 am »

I have to think about this now,How could I get it done? :scratch: :lol: :thumb:

mtruong34

« Reply #16 on: 26 Aug 2011, 03:28 pm »
In the past 4 years, I've pretty much changed (upgraded) EVERY component of my system except for my Bryston BDA-1.   Enough said...

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #17 on: 26 Aug 2011, 07:47 pm »
Great stories. It good to know you're more than happy with Bryston!

XOR

« Reply #18 on: 27 Aug 2011, 01:09 am »
I started off with Denon, then moved to NAD, then decided to try out very high end gear. I had never heard of Bryston but it was something like 1/3-1/2 the price of other gear. So Bryston should perform 1/3-1/2 as well right? Wrong. I listened to Bryston and it was just amazing. The sound was neutral which is what I wanted. I didn't want the amp to color the sound in strange ways not intended.

Then I saw that Bryston was used in many mixing studios for all manner of audio productions. I even met some people that actually used their amps in their own studios for artists. I then saw the amps used in some concert production audio setups. Between my own ears and seeing that it's what the industry often uses to mix the audio I enjoy I figured it was a good choice.

I found it hard to believe the negative comments I heard about Bryston SS amps from some when it's the gear the pros have been using to mix all the music these other amps are supposedly improving. How can you improve on the sound of a recording with another amp when odds are that recording was mixed using Bryston gear to begin with? If you are trying to mimic the sound the artist and audio engineers intended shouldn't you be using the same gear they probably used?

Now it's been over a decade and I moved from ST to SST amps and I have never once regretted it. I'm now working with lossless audio and the results have been amazing. I see no need to upgrade this gear as it sounds as good as anything I still hear even today. Bryston is a great value for high end.

lanchile

« Reply #19 on: 27 Aug 2011, 02:41 am »
I used to work in a electronic repair shop long time ago. My boss had a "crazy" friend. I asked him what is wrong with him and my boss said, He never gets tired talking about his amplifier and how good it was. My boss said, This guy got a good amp, but every time He walks by the store,He has to talk about his amp. one time I was alone in the store and this "crazy" guy stopped by...He started talking and talking about his amp and the quality of his amp and bla bla bla bla bla..... He mentioned the brand but at that time I did not know the brand. Well, years passed by and when I got into "real" audio gear. I new why this "crazy" guy talked all the time about his "BRYSTON" amp.
Now I can call my self a "crazy" guy too! :thumb: