Earthquake in DC

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: Earthquake in DC
« Reply #40 on: 24 Aug 2011, 03:05 am »
I called my wife today to tell her I might have to go home as something strange was happening to me. I thought maybe there was something wrong with me (more than usual) and I was quite concerned. I told her it felt like the floor and walls as well as the shop lights of my building were swaying and it felt like I was on a waterbed :o. She told me I was loosing my mind and working to hard and to go home and lay down and if it continued, to call the doctor...... with my wife being a nurse I did exactly that.....shut down the shop and went home to rest.
 When I got home i turned on the TV to watch a little news and there it was, 6.o Earhquake rocks VA. I called her back and told her I wasn't ill or loosing my mind and it was real!
 Up here in upper NY, we had stuff falling off shelves.
 Very glad to hear there were no serious injuries or damage.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #41 on: 24 Aug 2011, 03:29 am »
Here in So Cal, earthquakes are like humid days. They happen, they get everyone's attention, and they are forgotten.

One thing we have all perfected, though, is the Earthquake Party. The power typically goes out (cut the Richter in half, that's the amount of DAYS it's out) and there is no good reason to let the beer get warm or the steaks go bad. In '94, I had complete strangers knocking on my door at 5:00 in the morning saying "Do you have any way to power a blender?"  8) 

I work for a retail tool company. The ice cubes were the first to understand the full extent of the damage.  :lol:

Did anybody have an Earthquake Party?  :scratch:

Just curious,

Jerry

OgOgilby

« Reply #42 on: 24 Aug 2011, 05:28 pm »
Felt it here (south of Boston). I grew up in Southern California and would say that it felt like a category 3. Most of the people I spoke with here didn't feel it at all.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #43 on: 24 Aug 2011, 05:39 pm »
My brother tells me of extensive damage in his Baltimore neighborhood.

OgOgilby

« Reply #44 on: 27 Aug 2011, 10:21 am »
Surprised it wasn't on the news!  :lol: