« Reply #20 on: 23 Aug 2011, 07:58 pm »
We felt it on the beach here on LBI in S. Jersey  :o
Just got home and all is well :D
Margarita anyone? :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSNxu_405Mk

ken

Re: Earthquake in DC
« Reply #21 on: 23 Aug 2011, 08:33 pm »
We felt it up here in NO N.J. as well, at least my wife and kids did for some reason I was impervious to it.  Fortunately it wasn't strong enough to knock my Nano monitors off their stands, sounds like yours are intact as well. That would have been a significant loss :bawl:

*Scotty*

« Reply #22 on: 23 Aug 2011, 08:44 pm »
I was on my way in my truck to Home Despot in Fairfax Va.during the quake and I did not notice anything happening.
When I arrived at Home Despot everyone was out in the parking lot and I thought there might be a hotdog cart somewhere that I didn't see. In fact everyone had evacuated the building.
 Basically I missed the all the excitement.
I live on the 12th floor of a condo building and my condo showed no evidence of a shake at all.
I was concerned that my perhaps my loudspeakers might have toppled. They have 1inch roller ball isolation feet sitting machined aluminum footers and apparently this vibration isolation works for speakers as well as buildings.
The Smithsonian Castle has some minor damage as does the National Cathedral. It lost the tops of some spires,there may be more damage uncovered after a thorough inspection,I hope not.
Scotty

rodge827

« Reply #23 on: 23 Aug 2011, 08:48 pm »
When I arrived at Home Despot everyone was out in the parking lot and I thought there might be a hotdog cart somewhere that I didn't see.

First thing I would have thought of. :green:

BPoletti

« Reply #24 on: 23 Aug 2011, 08:54 pm »
We felt in in North Bergen, NJ....my kid yelled: Someone's shaking the bed!!!  I felt the subtle sway at my laptop...

Was the shaking bed related to the earthquake?    :)

pansixt

« Reply #25 on: 23 Aug 2011, 09:17 pm »
We had stuff falling off of shelves and pictures falling off the wall here in Northern VA.
It sounded like a freight train.
My driveway and sidewalk in front of my house are both cracked.
It was awesome and freaky.
Glad my amp is on the bottom shelf.

James

Phil A

« Reply #26 on: 23 Aug 2011, 09:27 pm »
Have not been home yet but the whole building (8 stories) shook at work and was evacuated.  I'm probably about 70 miles away at work from the epicenter and another 15 miles to home.  For a minute I did not realized what happened.  Definitely more potent than a subwoofer.

DTB300

« Reply #27 on: 23 Aug 2011, 10:47 pm »
I was standing on the 18th Tee when I felt it.  Thought it was just from the trucks going by on the road right next to the hole.  Next truck went by, no vibrations...strange?  When I got to the club house is when I learned I felt the quake...

40 min drive to the course in the AM, 2+ hour drive home....

vinyl_lady

« Reply #28 on: 23 Aug 2011, 11:06 pm »
I hope everyone is OK. My prayers are with all of you.

jakelieb

« Reply #29 on: 23 Aug 2011, 11:14 pm »
We felt it in the Charlotte area.  Hope all you ACers are ok . . . and the stereo of course.  It would be sad to get the turntable shaken off the stand!!

neekomax

« Reply #30 on: 23 Aug 2011, 11:16 pm »
Felt it very strongly on the east end of Long Island!  :o

Phil A

« Reply #31 on: 23 Aug 2011, 11:17 pm »
I got home and have not checked everything but it doesn't look like any damage.  I had a file drawer partially opened and a coat closet door that needs adjustment at some point (not much) that came a few inches open.  The news did show brick structures in Baltimore that came down.

john1970

« Reply #32 on: 23 Aug 2011, 11:51 pm »
Felt the earthquake in Boston MA.  I was in the middle of a meeting when it occured.  It made me feel very light headed and dizzy for a few seconds.  One of the most bizzare experiences I have had.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #33 on: 24 Aug 2011, 12:00 am »
Felt the earthquake in Boston MA.  I was in the middle of a meeting when it occured.  It made me feel very light headed and dizzy for a few seconds.  One of the most bizzare experiences I have had.

I didn't feel it in Hopkinton, MA (about 20-25 miles southwest of Boston).  :-(

George

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #34 on: 24 Aug 2011, 12:05 am »
Felt it good at the office! Made my shop door swing a little and made the furnace pipes rattle. WOW! Felt allot like last year's. Other things were visibly moving as well. We're very close to a major fault line in the Adirondacks- I don't know if that had anything to do with how well the quake was transmitted my way.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #35 on: 24 Aug 2011, 12:13 am »
I was outside walking around on break in Harrisburg, PA when my coworkers came pouring out. 
I thought it was a fire drill as I didn't notice anything but I'm told everything was rattling around big time up on the 15th floor.

Phil A

« Reply #36 on: 24 Aug 2011, 12:50 am »
Felt it good at the office! Made my shop door swing a little and made the furnace pipes rattle. WOW! Felt allot like last year's. Other things were visibly moving as well. We're very close to a major fault line in the Adirondacks- I don't know if that had anything to do with how well the quake was transmitted my way.

It's the way the plates are - http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/0823/East-Coast-earthquake-How-does-a-5.9-temblor-happen-in-Virginia

When the West Coast has an earthquake it may be a bigger magnitude but it is more localized.

Last year there was a smaller quake in Maryland around 4AM and I woke up and did not know it was a quake until later in the day.  I thought someone might have been trying to break a door and I turned on the lights and went outside and then back to sleep for an hour.

sfox50

« Reply #37 on: 24 Aug 2011, 01:33 am »
I'm in Frederick, MD & was at work( a local craft brewery) I happened to be cleaning some paint brushes & rollers in a floor mounted mop sink, so I was on my knees on the concrete slab the building sits on. It was really odd to feel everthing moving like that- kind of came in two separate waves. The building kind of rumbled also. We all realized what had happened fairly quickly, then got back to work. No apparent damage there or at home.

pansixt

« Reply #38 on: 24 Aug 2011, 01:54 am »
My buddy in Colorado Springs felt the quake out there last night.

It was lower on the scale but it still rattled his furniture.

He couldn't believe that we had one here when he saw the news this afternoon.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #39 on: 24 Aug 2011, 01:59 am »
I was at work on the ground floor of our 2 story building in So. NJ and it swayed and groaned.  We went to evacuate and our Director of Operations said "Stay inside everyone, you could get hit by falling debris outside".  I pointed out that the most dangerous debris was the second story above our heads and they weren't any pictures of rescuers digging people out of lawns and vacant lots in the last earthquake footage I saw.  It's a wonder how people get promoted to positions of responsibility.