Well Tempered DPS Power Supply
« on: 22 Aug 2011, 12:35 pm »
Hi,anyone try this power supply and how much,thanks

Sam

doak

Re: Well Tempered DPS Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2011, 05:14 am »
Interesting.

I've posted regarding my experience with a replacement PS.
Those wall warts, I got 2 with my WTA, are not fitting to this great TT. 

threadkiller

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2011, 07:44 pm »
It's definitely an improvement over the wallwart.
It's one of those products that you think to yourself, do I need this, will it make a positive change? After getting to test drive one at home, the answer is unequivocally yes.  Seems to give a better sense of stability, both with images and pitch. And for those that could use it, has a 12volt plugin to power the Dynavector P-75 phono stage. Haven't tried that yet.  Looks like the US retail price is $400 and will be hitting stateside soon.
One of those add-on products that, having to give back, I instantly missed. So yes, I'll be getting one when they arrive.

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2011, 08:08 pm »
Thanks for that update. Can be used with the P75? Niiice. Can't wait to hear whether there is much P75 improvement to boot.

threadkiller

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2011, 08:22 pm »
I hear that there is, but only hearsay till we hear it, right? :lol:

DavidS

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2011, 01:41 am »
I have ordered a new Amadeus with upgraded power supply.  The Amadeus will land next week but the power supply is not scheduled til mid-September.  I am in Canada so maybe Canuck timeframe but will be good to get to know the turntable for a couple of weeks with walwart and then add the outboard power supply.

David

michael w

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2011, 02:16 am »
Funny thing about this new power supply...

It's said to be an upgrade for the DV P-75 phono stage but...

The P-75 instruction book says the quality or size of the external power supply is irrelevant.

:green:

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2011, 02:20 am »
Well, I believe that early reports on the Well Tempered Amadeus also claimed the power supply to be irrelevant. And IIRC, the power supplies of the WTA and P75 share some similarities other than just use of a wallwart.

Antelope also claimed this originally for their Zodiac line, and now they have the mighty Voltikus power supply for sale...

threadkiller

« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2011, 02:49 am »
Agree to both remarks. As I said, this is an add-on product. This is not designed by Bill Firebaugh. It was brought to market by WTL to fill a niche some people were asking for.  You don't have to use it to get that exquisite sound of an Amadeus.  Yet, like the best of add-on products, it works very well and adds to the sound of the table.
Whether it adds anything to the p-75 or just enables one to plug in without the wallwart some of us will soon be finding out.

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2011, 03:03 am »
Gotcha. But your earlier comments certainly got my attention. Can you give some additional details. What types of recordings were you listenting to? What genres sounded most improved with the DPS? etc.

threadkiller

« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2011, 03:23 am »
Well, I had or ended up with a pretty big pile before I had to give it back--let's see...

New Paul Simon
       The Feelies

Patti Smith - Trampin
Ella. - Cole Porter songbook
Dvorak sym 2 on London
Sandy Denny. Box set
Bill Evans- village vanguard
Nick lowe- convincer
Alkan
Royal Ballet- classics reissue
Johnny Cash - unchained
Cannonball Adderly- something cool
Belle and Sebastian- almost all
Rachels- egon schiele
Doc Watson  - southbound

Quite a few more...
I don't follow the rest of your question...
A table either plays music well or it doesn't..regardless of type.
If the dps hadn't have worked with any of the above grouping, it would have gotten the punt.  And it is definitely a keeper. And a good sign as related by a fellow hobbyist, it was missed when it was gone...a very strong endorsement!

roscoeiii

« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2011, 03:31 am »
Great. Thanks for the details. Sometimes I find that improvements in pieces of equipment show up particularly with one genre of music (for example, I often wonder whether the debates on passive vs. active preamps, and NOS DACs may come down to the types of music played on these pieces of equipment). And sometimes there are across the board improvements evident across most genres. 

But seems like you spun a pretty wide variety of stuff and saw a lovely across the board difference. OK, officially counting my pennies.

And which upgrade has made the greater difference, the Auditorium mat or the new PSU?

Lastly, glad we are on the same WTA threads, because your profile pic kills me everytime I see it. 

threadkiller

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2011, 03:59 am »
Thank you!  Somebody sent me that years ago and I liked it so much I stored it away til now. 
I suppose I know what you mean now about genres, but I couldn't detect anything better than another. It was all for the better.

I'd definitely do both and save for both.  You will hear improvements with both.
Remember to adjust the vta for the mat and your particular cartridge, not someone else's.  Otherwise it'd be like we all drove camrys but with different tires, and you were asking what someone else's pressure was at. (i think that analogy holds true--Mike, could you chime in please?). Mike knows cars, I know chocolate.

Let us know when you get yours!
Take care

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2011, 04:04 am »
Will do. Might be a while. Probably hit the mat first unless the DPS reviews start getting really over-the-top enthusiastic.

gagamut

« Reply #14 on: 27 Aug 2011, 04:11 am »
everybody thanks for help :D

MikeDuke

« Reply #15 on: 15 Sep 2011, 03:26 pm »
Basically new to this forum. Just a few posts.  I was very interested in this when I saw it on the website.  I am using an Amadeus GTA with a XX2 MRKII cart the Dynavector preamp.  I really like the sound this table provides.  I have had it for close to two years.  This power supply is on the "to do" list" for sure

roscoeiii

« Reply #16 on: 15 Sep 2011, 03:47 pm »
MikeDuke,

What phono stage do you have paired with the XX2 MkII? I have a P75 so am excited that the DPS can also power it (and I will be mighty curious about whether I hear an improvement in sound).

-Roscoe

MikeDuke

« Reply #17 on: 15 Sep 2011, 05:15 pm »
I have a 2ch\HT combo so I have the DV P-75 mkII connected to one of the inputs of my Integra 80.2.  When I want to listen to records, I just switch to that input, put the Integra in Bypass mode so the 75 is active, and then just sit back and enjoy the music :D.

roscoeiii

« Reply #18 on: 15 Sep 2011, 05:31 pm »
And do you run the Dyna cart with the P75 in PE mode? Really thinking hard about one of those carts (prob a 20x2) in PE mode with the WTA. Hoping that would be a stellar combo.

threadkiller

« Reply #19 on: 15 Sep 2011, 05:38 pm »
It is, and you should... Lol.  I have two friends who have the same front end... Wonderful combination...