SlushPuppy

Re: What Fresh Hell Is This?
« Reply #40 on: 27 Sep 2011, 03:41 pm »
Absolutely horrid.

Stink sausage.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #41 on: 27 Sep 2011, 08:58 pm »
I just remembered something: I believe that the first pressing of Metal Machine Music was purposely made with a skip at the end of Side 2 so it wouldn't shut off. 
He's a funny guy, all right.

The track on (IIRC) side four was actually cut on the run-off groove, so people with a turntable that didn't have an auto-return tonearm would have infinite-like playback time (which is why there was an infinity loop on the jacket (I think)... I almost forgot, it was also released on 8-track tape. Infinite, indeed.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #42 on: 28 Sep 2011, 02:16 am »

Here's the first song from the new album.

http://www.spin.com/articles/hear-lou-reed-and-metallicas-first-full-song?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=092711

Well now, wasn't that sumthin'! As Mike Tyson said to Jeffrey Ross during the recent Charlie Sheen Roast:  " Listening to you, I wanted to bite my own ears off..." 

D.D

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #43 on: 28 Dec 2011, 12:49 am »
Ugh, negative review in Tone Magazine describing it as 94 minutes of turgid swill (or something along those lines).
Perhaps the upcoming Rock and Roll Animal/Abba collaboration will fare better.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #44 on: 28 Dec 2011, 03:21 am »
I'd rather climb a mountain made of broken beer bottles than listen to those Amazon samples again[Metal Machine Music] - and I love weird music. The only albums I've owned that were 'almost' as bad were "The Whitey Album" by Ciccone Youth (Sonic Youth's experimental side-project) and Pat Metheny's "Zero Tolerance for Silence" - both of which can be traced back to Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth - who I greatly admire. Both were tossed in the trash to prevent some unlucky individual from picking them up in a used CD bin thinking they found some kind of long forgotten musical gem. This Metallica/Lou Reed project - I'd rather eat my own stool than listen to this garbage. Just sayin'

I wish I had  listened to those samples before buying tickets for Lou, Laurie Anderson and John Zorn at the Montreal Jazz Festival.  We walked out after two "songs".  Surprisingly a portion of the audience stayed.  I guess they had listened to the samples  :lol:.  It was extremely unpleasant and discordant noise.  Lou Reed walked, looked and played like a zombie.  We received complimentary tickets for another concert.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #45 on: 28 Dec 2011, 03:32 am »
Ugh, negative review in Tone Magazine describing it as 94 minutes of turgid swill ...

Mmmmm....turgid swill... :lol:

D.D.