Cornet 2

Lynxo

Cornet 2
« on: 19 Aug 2011, 08:15 pm »
Hi,

I saw one in this forum the cornet 2 with WIMA caps.

I would like to know which caps you used. The lead spacing seems to be way
off between the stock and wima caps.

The TIP50 is 'THE' replacement for the 2SC3942?

Does this project sound like $1K phone stages or more around $500 ones?

Thanks

GRD

Re: Cornet 2
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2011, 10:07 pm »
The C-2 has a strong following, excellent performance for the time and money invested.

Can't address the other questions.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2011, 01:43 am »

Or maybe even a $5000-$10,000 phono pre-amp if you choose the right parts.

tubesforever is the only one I know who has compared his Cornet2 to the expensive brands and still likes his best.
Searching for "Cornet2" or "C2" by tubesforever will yield a wealth of information regarding caps, resistors, and tweaks.
Here is a starting point: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58941.0

I have compared my Cornet2 to less expensive but still well regarded units and have always preferred it's sound.

Wayne

poty

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2011, 08:50 am »
Interesting question. $1k stages sound different even when we compare between themselves. DIY things are almost always better regarding the sound as far as you know exactly what you want and what way you should go to achieve the result. Just follow good schematic and build principles could led to unsatisfactory results. There is one more thing: the DIY devices are simplified in every way for clear reason - they should be good for repeating with limited skills. The simplicity can potentially improve sound, but definitely lacks stability of the results facing changing environmental conditions (power supply, EMI, heating...) and time matters (like aging). Many DIY things are constructed around center-datasheet values to allow wide range of parts to be used without tuning (problems with adequate measuring the result if there is a tuning possibilities). It means usually that you will either live with device as is or get into expensive and possible infinite loop of "parts-rolling".

Lynxo

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2011, 02:00 am »
Thanks for your replies.

This info helps a lot.

I actually don't own a turntable yet. It's quite a big investment from cleaning the record to all the setup/calibration/steps required to actually sitting down and hearing a vinyl.

I've built tube pre's before so the diy part is not the issue. Just wanted to get more feedback on this particular
phone amp and from the feedback, it's all good.

The Cornet 2 does both MC and MM?  That would be my only other question.

Right now I'm looking into the Music Hall Turnables, like the 5.1SE.

poty

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2011, 02:12 pm »
The Cornet 2 does both MC and MM?
No, it is only MM, but several DIYers use step-up transformers to run MC with Cornet 2 with good results.

Lynxo

« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2011, 07:14 pm »
once built and measurements taken, is it pretty much ready to go?

you don't need a scope and fancy setup to test it?

poty

« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2011, 04:18 pm »
If you managed to build it correctly you do not need any measuring. Almost all problems (if they appeared) can be discovered by using a simple multimeter.

Lynxo

« Reply #8 on: 30 Aug 2011, 03:39 am »
Thanks Poty.

Do you know what is the minimum output the cartridge needs to be to work with the Cornet 2?

I'm looking at the sumiko blue point no.2 and it says 2.5mV.

The Jolida JD-9 has much better SNR, I believe due to the op amp input stage.
It work with MC's and has dip settings(more flexibile).

I have not dived into the Cornet 2 as of yet. I'm undecided now after reading the JD9 reviews/specs.

poty

« Reply #9 on: 30 Aug 2011, 11:50 am »
... what is the minimum output the cartridge needs to be to work with the Cornet 2?
I'm looking at the sumiko blue point no.2 and it says 2.5mV.
Cornet 2 gas 44dB amplification, so 2.5mV should be easy goal from the technical point of view. In reality - it depends on the other devices in your setup too, and there will be slightly less performance in the field of SNR.
The Jolida JD-9 has much better SNR, I believe due to the op amp input stage.
It work with MC's and has dip settings(more flexibile).
Functionality and flexibility are often unrelated to sound. I can't say anything about Jolida JD-9, I'd rather make choice by feelings (from hearings), not specs. I can't find exactly what "SNR" means in the Jollida spec (not value!), it may defines different "view" on the parameter, so they (Jolida vs Cornet) may be not directly comparable. If you like flexibility you can easily add several switchable resistors for loading (and several capacitors too). MC cartridges could be connected by Piccolo (another Hagtech product) or by SUT. The Piccolo have a lot of flexibility in loading resistance and even switchable amplification!

GRD

« Reply #10 on: 31 Aug 2011, 03:43 am »
I use a Shure with 2.5mv output and it works fine.  Not much different than the 5mv cartridge I used previously.