Pure Music+AUGraphic EQ+Airfoil = Win!

neekomax

Pure Music+AUGraphic EQ+Airfoil = Win!
« on: 17 Aug 2011, 02:14 am »
Just had to share my stoke...

Tried the Pure Music demo on my MBP today. Great sound!!!! I was honestly skeptical that a different player could really make a drastic sonic difference, but I stand happily corrected.

Specifically, the soundstage is wider, the bass has tightened up, and there's more air between instruments than with iTunes.

I've been having a problem with a response dip at 100-200 Hz in my system, and this is where the AU graphic EQ plug-in capability of PM really makes things even better. I have fine grain control, and can bump up the AWOL freqs, and voila, high bass is back in my life  :D! Yay!

Finally, I can't live without streaming, so instead of Airtunes, Airfoil steps in nicely to send the signal to my Apple TV. Even without upsampling (DAC is 16/44.1), the SQ is really improved. Gonna try via USB as well, out of curiosity.

Pros:

Sound!
Sound.
Sound :).
Ability to use plugins (quality eq)

Cons:

Dealing with three applications instead of one (iTunes).
Won't play tracks with DRM (don't have many, but still)
GUI and menus not that great
Finder switches back to iTunes window between tracks, annoying when posting to AC :wink: (fix for this?)
Gonna spoil me for the sound from Spotify and my CD player (no eq possible as of yet).

Anybody using a similar setup? Any freeware eq plugins that you think are worth trying? Tips for getting PM dialed?

Love it when stuff sounds better!  :thumb:

bunnyma357

Re: Pure Music+AUGraphic EQ+Airfoil = Win!
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2011, 03:42 am »
The ability to use plug-ins is a big plus for me with Pure Vinyl.  I can't really help with free plug-ins, but I have been using IK Multimedia's Advanced Room Correction plug-in and have been really happy with the results.

On occasion I have also used compressor plug-ins or eq to create a "loudness" function like on an old receiver.

I have a fair number of plug-ins from video editing hardware and software, so I haven't had to search for free alternatives.

Jim C

neekomax

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2011, 03:49 am »
The ability to use plug-ins is a big plus for me with Pure Vinyl.  I can't really help with free plug-ins, but I have been using IK Multimedia's Advanced Room Correction plug-in and have been really happy with the results.

On occasion I have also used compressor plug-ins or eq to create a "loudness" function like on an old receiver.

I have a fair number of plug-ins from video editing hardware and software, so I haven't had to search for free alternatives.

Jim C

Wow, that room correction plug looks AWESOME!

For $300, I'd probably go the hardware route instead, as then I'd be able to EQ my other sources (CD, etc).

In the meantime, I'll be on the lookout for a good free eq plug...

bunnyma357

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2011, 04:06 am »
I'm also using a pro-audio fire-wire interface as a psuedo pre-amp, so I can have 4 inputs in addition to iTunes.

At some point in the future, I'll use Pure Vinyl's crossover feature and the 4 stereo output channels of the audio interface to create an active crossover set-up on my speakers.

Jim C

neekomax

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2011, 04:10 am »
I'm also using a pro-audio fire-wire interface as a psuedo pre-amp, so I can have 4 inputs in addition to iTunes.

At some point in the future, I'll use Pure Vinyl's crossover feature and the 4 stereo output channels of the audio interface to create an active crossover set-up on my speakers.

Jim C

Wow, very cool solution. If I eventually put a Mac mini in my HiFi, I'll have to consider that. I already have a PreSonus Firebox that I could use...

For now, though, streaming is just so convenient  :)

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2011, 04:37 am »
Finder switches back to iTunes window between tracks, annoying when posting to AC :wink: (fix for this?)

Try turning off the "Notify when busy loading into memory" option.

neekomax

« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2011, 04:43 am »
Try turning off the "Notify when busy loading into memory" option.

Nice, thanks.

morganc

« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2011, 07:05 pm »
Hi Neekomax,
    Can you tell me where you downloaded your plug-ins and exactly how you access them in Pure Music?   I want to go down the same path but am a Mac newbie.......also if anyone else has any other software equalizer recommendations I would love to hear them.

JDUBS

« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2011, 07:09 pm »
Hi Neekomax,
    Can you tell me where you downloaded your plug-ins and exactly how you access them in Pure Music?   I want to go down the same path but am a Mac newbie.......also if anyone else has any other software equalizer recommendations I would love to hear them.

FabFilter Pro-Q is really great.

http://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-q.php

-Jim

morganc

« Reply #9 on: 28 Aug 2011, 11:06 pm »
FabFilter Pro-Q is really great.

http://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-q.php

-Jim

Thanks Jim.  Are there any programs in the $100 range that are maybe less for editing and more for listening?  Anyone else with recommendations?
Thanks,
Morgan

JDUBS

« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2011, 11:18 pm »
Thanks Jim.  Are there any programs in the $100 range that are maybe less for editing and more for listening?  Anyone else with recommendations?
Thanks,
Morgan

Yep, Fabfilter is not inexpensive at $200 but its (one of, at least) the best out there.  I use fuzzmeasure to do measurements and Fabfilter to do all eq'ing and crossovers (48db).

Not sure what its "editing" capabilities are.

-Jim

morganc

« Reply #11 on: 29 Aug 2011, 03:59 am »
Thanks Jim.   I will try the free demo for sure.  Do you integrate the program into itune or Pure music or is it independent?

JDUBS

« Reply #12 on: 29 Aug 2011, 04:34 am »
Thanks Jim.   I will try the free demo for sure.  Do you integrate the program into itune or Pure music or is it independent?

It seemlesly integrates into Pure Music. 

-Jim

chrisby

« Reply #13 on: 29 Aug 2011, 09:01 pm »

Jim C

late to reading this interesting thread - which Fire-Wire interface are you using?

wilsynet

« Reply #14 on: 30 Aug 2011, 02:32 am »
I'm a PureMusic user.

So what I do is buy FuzzMeasure, do measurements, buy Fabfilter, then plug in parameters into Fabfilter and away I go?

What hardware do I buy to enable FuzzMeasure to take the right measurements?  Is there a tutorial to use FuzzMeasure in the right way, because it looks like a pro tool, not something for an ignorant audiophile to use to figure out how to measure the room.

I'm really just totally ignorant here.

JohnR

« Reply #15 on: 30 Aug 2011, 02:44 am »
Jim, thanks for the pointer, I've downloaded it to have a play  :thumb:

JDUBS

« Reply #16 on: 30 Aug 2011, 03:00 am »
Happy to help out on this, guys.  I forgot about the free trial period, so you could alway just dl FabFilter Pro-Q and give it a try.  It is what the Spatial Computing guys use.  Check out the last two pics here...pretty compelling stuff:

http://www.spatialcomputer.com/page2/page2.html

The somewhat annoying part is the measuring as you want to measure the test tone (generated by Fuzzmeasure) as it flows through Pure Music first (and thus has Fabfilter Pro-Q parametric eq'ing applied to it).  You can use a free program such as Sound Flower to accomplish this aspect. 

The basic process is to run the test tone through your system and capture that base-line measurement.  You then adjust Fabfilter (24 bands of adjustment - talk about flexible!) to make changes and get the sound to where you want it (I shoot for as flat as possible).

-Jim

dlbeck

« Reply #17 on: 14 Nov 2012, 12:25 pm »
Great info on this thread.  I went to fabfilter.com and downloaded the Q plugins and have verified they are in the library folder.  Now, how do I get them into Pure Music?  I've opened the Audio Setup menus and see the drop down menus for the stock plugins but do not see a way to load 3rd party plugins?

Thanks

David

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: 14 Nov 2012, 12:30 pm »
FabFilter ProQ  should appear in the drop-down list of plugins. At the bottom?

lokie

be careful
« Reply #19 on: 14 Nov 2012, 12:49 pm »
No one has mentioned that you should be careful in "over" correction and adding too much boost that your gears can't handle.

You can damage your amplifier and/or your speakers.