Info on LS6 upgrades?

NapaValleyHT

Info on LS6 upgrades?
« on: 16 Aug 2011, 10:40 pm »
I have a pair of LS6's which I have been very happy with over the last 2 years. Are there any driver/crossover/cabinet upgrades that I could look into? What have other forum members done?

I've got a bit of the upgrade bug now that I will soon have an LS-C !!!

Danny Richie

Re: Info on LS6 upgrades?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2011, 11:30 pm »
Where did you get your LS-6's? Just wondering what you have.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2011, 11:32 pm »
No Rez, better caps and Tube Connectors will take it up another level.   :green:

How did I do Danny?   :P

NapaValleyHT

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2011, 12:01 am »
I bought them from av123

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2011, 01:01 am »
No Rez, better caps and Tube Connectors will take it up another level.   :green:

How did I do Danny?   :P
+1.  First, No Rez, then caps ...  then connectors, resistors, and hook up wire.  Finally, you can upgrade inductors.  Those cabinets are big, and AV123 didn't always use enough or high quality deadening.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2011, 02:31 am »
You guys did real well. What they said.

As for the crossover, There is one Erse cap and resistor in the woofer circuit that can be upgraded to a Sonicap and a Mills resistor. Then there are three caps in the tweeter circuit that can be by-passed with a Platinum. That will do it. Everything else is very good quality.

NapaValleyHT

« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2011, 06:29 pm »
You guys did real well. What they said.

As for the crossover, There is one Erse cap and resistor in the woofer circuit that can be upgraded to a Sonicap and a Mills resistor. Then there are three caps in the tweeter circuit that can be by-passed with a Platinum. That will do it. Everything else is very good quality.

Sounds like major surgery on my crossovers... is this hard to do?

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2011, 06:37 pm »
Sounds like major surgery on my crossovers... is this hard to do?

No.

mojave

« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug 2011, 06:53 pm »
Not all the cabinets from av123 had a round over at the back of the woofer holes. While the drivers are out to install No Rez, you can also round over the backside of the woofer holes using a round under router bit. MLCS Woodworking sells a 1/4" shank, 1/2" round under bit (#6327 at bottom of page).

If there is no polyfill in the woofer or tweeter cabinets then you can put some in.

soundofrockets

« Reply #9 on: 17 Aug 2011, 06:55 pm »
Kurt you are upto something major here.....will keep an eye on this thread.......also interested in learing more about the upgrades....i am sure the upgrades would be similar for the 6 series and the 9 series........

SoCalWJS

« Reply #10 on: 17 Aug 2011, 09:52 pm »
Kurt you are upto something major here.....will keep an eye on this thread.......also interested in learing more about the upgrades....i am sure the upgrades would be similar for the 6 series and the 9 series........

I will also watch this thread for more info.

I already did the crossover modifications. I started doing the polyfill, but what a pain in the a$$. I guess I should finish off that project, but would love suggestions as to how to do it with less headaches. Should I disconnect each driver with a solder gun so it's out of the way? I had my wife holding the darn thing while I stuffed in the poly. I don't think I have the ooomph to lift the speakers and set them down horizontal to be able to set the driver down while doing the work.

What's this about a tube connector?

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #11 on: 17 Aug 2011, 10:00 pm »
That's what we did when we received our LS6s from av123 a long time ago.
It's kind of time-consuming but I can't think of any other way. :)
I will also watch this thread for more info.

I already did the crossover modifications. I started doing the polyfill, but what a pain in the a$$. I guess I should finish off that project, but would love suggestions as to how to do it with less headaches. Should I disconnect each driver with a solder gun so it's out of the way? I had my wife holding the darn thing while I stuffed in the poly. I don't think I have the ooomph to lift the speakers and set them down horizontal to be able to set the driver down while doing the work.

What's this about a tube connector?

stu

« Reply #12 on: 17 Aug 2011, 10:15 pm »
I did the crossover upgrade to my LS-9's, and it was not difficult.  Danny sells an upgrade kit for them  that includes all the caps, instructions, and pictures telling how to do the upgrade.  It made a nice improvement in the sound of an already great speaker.  I also added the poly-fill too.  I did not think that was hard either.  I did not disconnect the drivers.  I got a soft towel and draped it in the hole so that it was covering the outside of the cabinet.  I let the driver rest on the towle so it did not damage the finish, and stuffed the area behind the port.  It took about an hour to do each speaker as I recall.  If you are only going to do one uprade, I would do the crossover upgrade because it will give the most improvement.
 Good luck,
Mark

srb

« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug 2011, 10:18 pm »

doug067

« Reply #14 on: 19 Aug 2011, 04:53 am »
Interested in this too. Couple weeks away from ordering the ls-6 kit
So to begin the concensus is to get the no rez, cap upgrade,polyfill behind the tweets, trying to understand the rounding of the holes as to where still and order the tube connectors??
Anything else??

stu

« Reply #15 on: 21 Aug 2011, 07:53 pm »
doug067,
Just to be clear, the polyfill mod we are discussing here is for the area in each bass enclosure.  The speakers from av123 had the polyfill in the tweeter section, but not the bass sections.  The design called for polyfill in each bass enclosure so that the area behind the port tube opening is filled.  That is what we are doing to our speakers.  My pair was the first production pair of LS-9's, and for the first several pairs they did use no-rez on the inside walls.  I did not have to do that mod!
Mark

freerider

« Reply #16 on: 24 Aug 2011, 08:07 pm »
Not all the cabinets from av123 had a round over at the back of the woofer holes. While the drivers are out to install No Rez, you can also round over the backside of the woofer holes using a round under router bit. MLCS Woodworking sells a 1/4" shank, 1/2" round under bit (#6327 at bottom of page).

Thanks for the link!!  I've been looking for an affordable option for this bit!  I've got some LS6 cabinets that need prep.

Should I use a 1/2" or 3/8" round for the woofer holes?  I fear that the 1/2" might remove too much material, that the screws need to hold the woofers in.

edoggrc51

« Reply #17 on: 25 Aug 2011, 10:58 pm »
Some good info here guys, thanks!

Do the crossover upgrades require soldering??

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 25 Aug 2011, 11:11 pm »
Some good info here guys, thanks!

Do the crossover upgrades require soldering??

I little.

edoggrc51

« Reply #19 on: 25 Aug 2011, 11:45 pm »
I little.

Are all the crossover parts located on the removable lower cover on the backside of the speakers??