Best small GR speaker choice as surrounds for LS6's

NapaValleyHT

Best small GR speaker choice as surrounds for LS6's
« on: 16 Aug 2011, 04:36 pm »
Hello everyone... new to this forum.

I am looking for a small set of bookshelf speakers to use as surrounds for my LS6s. Which kit would best match the drivers of the LS6s? I would love a wall mountable surround speaker... if one is available!

Thanks in advance for the advice!

TomS

Re: Best small GR speaker choice as surrounds for LS6's
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2011, 04:43 pm »
Welcome to AC!

Though I don't have LS6's, I do have 4 of these AV1-RS wall mounted surrounds from Danny and they work very well in the right room.

http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=113

There are vendors here that can build the cabinets if you need that as well.

Tom

Jerrin

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2011, 05:13 pm »
If you have the room, I'd recommend the O-3's.  They require a bit of space though.  If not, then I'd agree with the above poster. 

I was working on the same question myself, but then I lucked into some really, really cheap 6's and 9's.

mojave

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2011, 07:29 pm »
If you have the room, I'd recommend the O-3's.  They require a bit of space though.  If not, then I'd agree with the above poster. 

I was working on the same question myself, but then I lucked into some really, really cheap 6's and 9's.
Did you end up getting those cherry LS-6's and what finish are on your 9's? When are you getting the 7 channel balanced Dodd buffer?  :wink:

NapaValleyHT

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2011, 10:41 pm »
thanks for the advice!

mcallister

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2011, 12:05 am »
I use three LS9's for my LCR (with upgraded crossovers) and about a year or so ago had forum member Ron build a pair of N3S's with all upgrades to use as side surrounds. I bought a pair of omnimount wallmounts to wall mount the N3S's and had Ron pre-drill holes for the mounts. Mounts are rated for 70lbs a speaker. They sound fantastic and match the LS very..very well.

I've been looking for a pair of O3's for back surrounds actually and think those would be amazing for surrounds and match just as well. But I'd seriously consider the N3S or N2X wallmounted as a surround option.

mcallister

« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2011, 12:07 am »
I believe there is another AC member who also has either 9's or 6's that uses N3S's as surrounds and likes the match also. Maybe he will chime in?

NapaValleyHT

« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2011, 12:17 am »
wow... the N3S looks like a great choice.

emac

« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug 2011, 01:11 am »

I'll second the suggestion for the O-3's as surrounds.  I've used the X-Omni's as surrounds for my O-3's (which I use as mains) and the effect was terrific.  Also worth mentioning that for use as surrounds, it probably isn't as important to get the O-3's off of the walls (which is a few feet if using them as mains).  As long as you can get them 1.5-2 feet off the walls as surrounds, then IMO, you should be good given the content that surrounds usually have.

Also, you would have a set of speakers in the O-3's that, while probably not as good as the LS's overall, are quite a pleasure to listen to, and sound very different than many speakers.  So, you would have 2 different pairs of main speakers that sound very different.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 17 Aug 2011, 03:25 am »
There are a lot of good options, but if you need to wall mount one then the A/V-1RS is by far the best way to go. It will give you a larger sound field (with accuracy) than any other option.

Jerrin

« Reply #10 on: 17 Aug 2011, 04:11 am »
Did you end up getting those cherry LS-6's and what finish are on your 9's? When are you getting the 7 channel balanced Dodd buffer?  :wink:

Yes, I did get the cherry 6's for $2700 and they are much more beautiful than I would have thought.  Sound really nice too.  He had the upgraded crossovers and No-rez inside.  I confirmed they had no-rez when I had to replace a defective woofer. 

Regarding the 9's, my older pair are piano black.  More recently, I was lucky and found a LS9 kit (with upgraded crossovers and No-rez) with Moho cabinets for $3K and no shipping.  Turns out the seller was less than 2 hours away.  He also had a MPS-1 that he sold to me for $800 but that's another story.   lol     :thumb:    I have to be honest and say I've been really lucky to find such great deals these last 6 months or so.     :oops:

My ultimate plan is to refinish all three to a super glossy white mother-of-pearl with gold colored baffles.  My current plan is to save up for a while and build external crossovers for the Moho 9's.  I'm waffling between Duelund and CC MR for the caps.   Sometime in the future, probably at least 2-3 years from now, I'd like to have Mr. Dodd look at the possibility of that 7 channel fully differential buffer.   And... maybe a built in Lightspeed Attenuator too.      :icon_twisted:

shadowlight

« Reply #11 on: 17 Aug 2011, 08:17 am »
Neo2x is what I am planning to use.  I also have x-omni's but do not have the 2 to 3 feet in the rear  :duh:

Jerrin

« Reply #12 on: 17 Aug 2011, 03:37 pm »
I've used a N3-S as a CC for my 9's for about a year now and it matches very well.  I would think some of those or the AV1-RS would work well.  Just depends on whether you have to wall mount or if you have a little room.  Either way, Danny won't steer you wrong.