Warpspeed Optocoupler

roymail

• Roy in TX
Re: Warpspeed Optocoupler
« Reply #280 on: 10 Jan 2012, 06:55 pm »
Warpspeed CE, do you know that your PM box is full?  Just tried to PM you, but no go.

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #281 on: 11 Jan 2012, 03:27 am »
Thanks Brad...knowing owners are happy never gets old. I'd rather read great reviews from owners than me singing praises about it.

Roy, I guess I get limited pm being a jr. member. Anyway I prefer you and others email as it is more convenient to see and reply.

I'm Blues over at diyAudio...

Quantum wire coming soon to your high-end stores... http://futureoftech.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/10/10096888-four-atom-wide-wire-may-herald-tiny-computers

praedet

« Reply #282 on: 11 Jan 2012, 01:02 pm »
Any thoughts on when the demo unit will be back up and running?

Netdewt

« Reply #283 on: 11 Jan 2012, 01:32 pm »
I have always been curious about these. How does one know if it works for their system? I assume I'd need a preamp bypass installed on my integrated amp. How does it switch between components?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #284 on: 11 Jan 2012, 06:15 pm »
I have always been curious about these. How does one know if it works for their system? I assume I'd need a preamp bypass installed on my integrated amp. How does it switch between components?
if your integrated amp has main outs/preamp ins, you could insert it there, and simply max out the wolume pots on the integrated.

personally, while the warpspeed seems a great product, it's not for me.  my rig is on 24/7 most of the time, so i cannot do battery power.  and i need remote.  $700 add for remote is ridiculous, especially when there's ldr preamps out there, complete w/remote that does not impede on the sonics, for half the price of the warpspeed remote add cost.   surely, there's a less complicated/expensive way to implement remote control?  :scratch:  a remote control warpspeed is beyond cheap-n-cheerful, me-thinks...

ymmv,

doug s.

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #285 on: 12 Jan 2012, 03:04 am »
Ted, it's way in the backburner...not in the near future plans. Sorry, the tour is suspended indefinitely.

Netdewt, I'll send you an email with some reading material. All other info are in forums like AC and diyAudio. To answer your questions briefly -mainly it controls volume levels using optocouplers, matches most systems -both tubed and ss, options to switch sources are available, kits to install internally in integrated amps are not available at this time. Maxing out the existing volume pots should be a temporary solution, as signal still goes thru it thru the wipers. Better to solder a bypass wire.

Doug, it is a ridiculously steep price that's why I laid out the facts firsthand. It's an option available to everyone though, for those who have tried and don't care about the other designs, but dearly want a W'speed with a remote. It's actually the simplest of implementations but unfortunately pricey.

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #286 on: 14 Jan 2012, 07:10 am »
While they're still endlessly debating and wondering why their LDR designs' lowest possible volume level is still loud on high gain or high efficiency systems; and can't be quiet like a good puppy when you want it to -here is what I've been working on...

Rclark

« Reply #287 on: 14 Jan 2012, 07:12 am »
It's such a simple solution of just wiring the WS to be close to where you will use it.... Remotes are easy to lose too, not ALWAYs so convenient. You can spend more time hunting it down than you would just turning the dial and leaving it... sometimes we get addicted to things we didn't know we didn't even need.

That said, I'm glad to have the BEST SOUNDING ldr  :thumb: :thumb:

BFitz

« Reply #288 on: 17 Jan 2012, 05:30 pm »
Can anyone tell me what the average input impedance on this unit is? What sort of load the upstream component has to drive? I'm into tube tuners and wonder if they can drive it. It appears to be around 1K ohm, but not sure if that is correct. 

jk@home

« Reply #289 on: 17 Jan 2012, 07:17 pm »
Not to hijack your question...:) but also what is the maximum output impedance allowed for the source going into to it. The other popular LDR seems to have a pretty low limit of 100 ohms, unless I'm mistaken. The DAC I want to use as a source is a Channel Island VDA-2, with a rating of 825 ohms.

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #290 on: 18 Jan 2012, 02:57 am »
Thanks Rclark.

BFitz, without getting into the details...the W'speed's input Z starts at infinity and logarithmically decreases to that amount or just above that value before increasing again. You'll be rocking hard even before that...

jk, I have a couple of sources that I use often, a Sony SACD with  a measured 624-ohm output impedance and a Bluray with 932 ohms. Both sources work the W'speed knob from 6:00 thru 3:00 on the 2nd turn of the 3-turn control. Very smooth and continuous sound level response throughout.

BFitz

« Reply #291 on: 18 Jan 2012, 03:45 am »
OK Thanks
I just wanted to make sure I was interpreting the data from your spreadsheet R1.4 here correctly
where you give values at 9o'clock through 1 o'clock and near max CW. I would have thought that input Z would be the sum of series and shunt values in column D for each setting, and was puzzled by your listed "input Z" values, as low as 85 ohms at near max CW. Did you have a typo and mean output Z?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/176847-warpspeed-optocoupler-volume-control-10.html#post2555876

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #292 on: 18 Jan 2012, 04:30 am »
You are correct it is the sum -without the effect of the load...in this case headphones with a 55-ohm impedance. Btw, you are looking at the "Headphones" tab of the spreadsheet...see lower left corner for tab to "Loudspeakers".

Where loading will be an issue, as with low impedance headphones, a buffer is recommended. Although in cases where the source can supply enough current a buffer might not be needed.

I have a v1.5 and cannot remember if I have posted it already...

jk@home

« Reply #293 on: 18 Jan 2012, 11:59 am »
Thanks Warp. I'm thinking about incorporating one of these with a Dodds basic buffer (on the output side of the LDR) running a 6H30P-DR tube. The tube will put out a lot of heat, so my initial idea is to join two rectangular chassis together with a non-conductive material, and have a small air break in between the two boxes. Have the tube exposed on the outside top panel of one, the Warpspeed in the other chassis. What's the max temp these things can tolerate?

daimbert

« Reply #294 on: 23 Jan 2012, 04:32 am »
Hey guys don't mean to hijack but Warpspeed told me to pose this question to everyone here directly.

I just ordered a V4 warpspeed and wanted everyones opinion on what DAC would pair well with SB touch, the Warpspeed and Quad 12L Active speakers. Just want to be careful because I heard some people had some issues. Forgot to mention, $1000 limit (give or take).

Thanks

djbnh

« Reply #295 on: 25 Jan 2012, 11:10 am »
Ordered a V4x3 on 1/4/2012; shipped on 1/24/2012! Outstanding communication, input, turnaround time, and professionalism on every level from Allan - couldn't ask for more. [Also, a number of ACers provided thoughtful input along the way - thanks so much to each of you.]  I'm looking forward to hearing what the Optocoupler will do in my system; if what I've experienced in working with Allan is a harbinger of things to come, my ears should be in for a treat. :thumb:

FYI - high WAF!!! :beer:

djbnh

« Reply #296 on: 27 Jan 2012, 02:45 am »
Optocoupler 4X3 unit arrived today, a day ahead of schedule. Insured with tracking number. Excellent packaging - double boxed and wrapped, fragile stamped numerous times on package. No worries.

Workmanship appeared 1st rate: wood finished nicely and smoothly, clean case lines, non-bright "on" led, good feel when turning volume knob, etc. Although there is no lettering for on/off switch, inputs, outputs, Allan's included schematic clearly indicates what is what.

The battery I ordered is not due until this coming Monday; however, I had one in a disconnected / unused UPS that sufficed. Hook up into my system (Zu Omen Def speakers, Niteshade NS-40 tubed amp, Jolida JD-100 cdp, older Sony cdp, etc.) was easy. Gave a bit of time for easy listening, as the JD-100 and NS-40 tubes warmed up, that pointed to better things ahead. The JD-100's output with the Optocoupler / NS-40 easily drove the Zu Omen Defs to louder than necessary levels. Although  an active preamp would probably provide even higher sound pressure levels, my cochlea and auditory nerve would not tolerate those levels without sustaining damage. I note my dedicated listening room is approximately 22'X14', speakers on the long wall.

Early notes re: critical listening after 25 minutes of system warm up. The Optocoupler presented to me and the Mrs. organically. Lots of space around instruments and voices, very good placement and soundstaging (front/rear; side-to-side). No noise/hum at all. Great strike and decay. Realistic came to mind. My JD-100 is not the last word in detail; however, intermittent sibilance my system once had was no longer present, and the amount of detail seemed increased. (The older Sony cd changer presented better, too.) Head nodding / toe tapping involvement related to assorted music: Chemical Brothers, Beethoven's Pastoral, Alison Krauss, Kenny Chesney, Billy Idol, Hall and Oates, Billy Joel, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Sting, Talking Heads, Paul Simon, and more.

We're looking forward to enjoying this unit. Great job Allan, thank you.  :thumb:

gooberdude

« Reply #297 on: 28 Jan 2012, 12:07 am »
 :thumb:

If you get the right mix of tubes & cables, your WS + NS 40 should be, literally, dead silent & forceful.  NS amps are known for not having tube noise (hushhhhh), mine have none.

Dont recall my WS having bad sound while breaking in.  It was lush & kaboom-ey from the start.

djbnh

« Reply #298 on: 28 Jan 2012, 12:17 am »
:thumb:

If you get the right mix of tubes & cables, your WS + NS 40 should be, literally, dead silent & forceful.  NS amps are known for not having tube noise (hushhhhh), mine have none.

Dont recall my WS having bad sound while breaking in.  It was lush & kaboom-ey from the start.
The tubes on my cdp usually take about 25 minutes or less to get right. Been having fun listening to my system already tonight! The Optocoupler is a keeper.

Rclark

« Reply #299 on: 28 Jan 2012, 12:40 am »
I'll never forget when I first got the demo unit up and running, definitely a jaw dropper  :thumb: