Question o' the day: Can someone please explain speaker break-in?

neekomax

Hey AC friends. I'm back with more pesky noobishness  :wink:.

So, I have theimpression that my speakers are sounding better as time goes on. They are about 6 weeks old now, and I've been listening a lot. Specifically, I feel like the low mids/ high bass are filling in better now. When I first got them, it sounded like there was a big null in the 100-200 Hz range (just a guess). The highs seem a bit more tamed as well, maybe partially as a result of more mids in the sound?

Am I just getting used to the sound, or is something happening with the speakers, as in 'break-in'. Is it a real phenomenon? What have been your experiences?

What about 'burn-in' with components? Is this real? How is it possible?

srb

While people agree and disagree over whether electronic components break-in, most do agree that speaker break-in is real for the main reason that the speaker drivers are mechanical components with a spider suspension and surround that moves and gains a little more flexibility over time.

Of course, there is the passive speaker crossover, and it could be argued that it is the electronic components (probably the capacitors mostly) that are breaking in.   ;)

Steve

Wayner

I agree with Steve's mechanical break-in theory. I'm not in the electronics break-in camp, however. 1 out of 2 ain't bad, right Steve?

Wayner  :lol:

neekomax

Are my listening impressions typical of what speaker break-in can 'sound' like?

Wayner

The only speaker that I can honestly say I experienced break-in was with a pair of Paradigm Studio 40V.3s. The HF driver was kind of harsh/in your face, but after some playing (like quite awhile) it smoothed out and now I love the speakers, especially powered by my vintage Marantz 140 power amp.

Wayner

wywires

Each time I have acquired a "new" pair of speakers, I notice that the sound smooths out in the upper midrange and treble and the bass extension and definition improves noticeably. I think 100 to 150 hours of playing time will generally break in the mechanical components in speakers. I've heard that some take longer depending on the exact drivers used. My new Marten Form's changed significantly in the first 50 hours and then a little more over the next 150. Also I'm noticing that the soundstage grows in width and height after the system has been playing for 5 minutes or so. Could it be that the drivers need to warm up?

srb

I agree with Steve's mechanical break-in theory. I'm not in the electronics break-in camp, however. 1 out of 2 ain't bad, right Steve?

Wayner  :lol:

You and I are of one mind and on the same page.  Scary.  Actually when I said it could be argued that the break-in of crossover components do contribute to overall speaker break-in, I meant argued by others, not by me!

My own experience has been that most good speakers sound damn fine out of the box, and the break-in period adds a subtle improvement more than a major one.  Your experience with the Paradigm tweeters might point to the fact that some materials benefit a bit more than others (i.e. metal vs softdome silk) ?

Steve

Wayner

Maybe we've both had a Vulcan Mind Probe  :lol: , but back to the break-in theory, my Martin Logans where great right out of the box. The Paradigms were good too, but they some how seemed to mellow out more. They sure can image.

I suppose one can hypothesize that the surrounds needed some time to loosen up (or in the case of the mid bass/woofers, the surrounds and spiders. Those are concepts I can warm up to.

Wayner

pansixt

I have had used speakers and electronics with hundreds and more hours on them that sounded better the more I listened. User break in effect? Most likely the pleasure effect of new equipment.

On the other hand there were probably new wires involved which may have had a little to do
with the experience (or not). :roll:

Then there is the obvious fact that I don't know everything, so I can't totally rule out any possibilities.
And that my experimentation with sound equipment over the years not being even close to
what some of you have experienced means that I probably don't know dick. :lol:

I am sure that our hearing changes.
It's amazing to me, what with the loud music and exhaust and machinery over the years, that I can still hear as well as I can.

James

« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2011, 11:01 pm by pansixt »

richidoo

We love pesky noobs! Especially cool ones with new stereo gear!

The spiders and rubber surround of the cone drivers will loosen up with playing time and the measurable thiel/small specs do change by a significant amount. This usually happens within 20-100 hours of playing time at normal volumes. Less time if you use a signal that exercises the parts to speed break in. 6 weeks is a very long time and more likely attributable to the caps/wiring. If the electronics have been out of service for a long period they will need time to break in again. The only part I know that needs 500+ hours before it stops changing is teflon capacitors. These are rare in speaker crossovers due to the extreme expense. Does your system have any teflon caps? Maybe teflon insulated, plated copper wiring, this is much more common in speakers. It has been theorized that the electrical fields that form in insulators touching electrical conductors take time to form and stabilize, and that those static fields in turn affect the skin effect of the conductor. A capacitor is nothing but a large area of conductor and dielectric wrapped together tightly so as to hold static charge.

It takes time for your mind to adjust to a big change like speakers, which also change the way the room sounds, so factor that into your perception of changes. ;)
Rich

edit: I like the way James says it better!  :thumb:

Steve

Hey AC friends. I'm back with more pesky noobishness  :wink:.

So, I have theimpression that my speakers are sounding better as time goes on. They are about 6 weeks old now, and I've been listening a lot. Specifically, I feel like the low mids/ high bass are filling in better now. When I first got them, it sounded like there was a big null in the 100-200 Hz range (just a guess). The highs seem a bit more tamed as well, maybe partially as a result of more mids in the sound?

Am I just getting used to the sound, or is something happening with the speakers, as in 'break-in'. Is it a real phenomenon? What have been your experiences?

Physical materials do breakin. You might check with a mechanical or civil engineer for more information. Check out Young's Modulus for instance, and it does change.
As an example, steel beams used in bridges need breaking in, are rid of resonances before placed, especially in suspension structures.

What is uncanny is how close mechanical and electrical engineering appear to be.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2011, 03:14 pm by Steve »

richidoo

Righton steve! Any physicist worth his salt knows that the physical realm is the electrical realm. ;) Our mundane reality is all about how electrons interact with each other. Current flow in a conductor is just a small trick compared to the many other aspects of electron behavior.

neekomax

Very interesting stuff.

Boy, do I know zip about electrical engineering  :o

*Scotty*

Here are a couple of links to some useful information.
http://www.gr-research.com/burnin.htm
http://www.gr-research.com/myths.htm
Scotty

Wayner

Very interesting stuff.

Boy, do I know zip about electrical engineering  :o

Some of this is not electrical engineering, more like voo-doo.

:o

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
The truly scientific mind questions all and is open to the possibility of learning more.   8)

Like a balloon, the more we learn - the bigger the balloon gets, and the more we come into contact with what we don't know.   :wink:

OTOH an ostrich sticks it's head in the sand assuming "there is nothing new out there" and before long could very well end up getting it's butt kicked.   :roll:

nathanm

You have already asked the most important question: 'is it real?'  The desire to correlate your perceptions with objective reality will serve you well.

neekomax

You have already asked the most important question: 'is it real?'  The desire to correlate your perceptions with objective reality will serve you well.

So what have your perceptions manifested with regard to this topic, specifically with speakers? Have you had speakers that have gotten better, smoother etc with time?

JohnR

I think he's saying that you need to figure it out for yourself.

neekomax

I think he's saying that you need to figure it out for yourself.

Hmm, not sure I took that to mean that exactly. I interpreted it as encouragement to keep researching the subject with an open mind, and therefore....

I find it helpful to poll those with more experience then me on the subject. If I rely solely on what I think may or not be happening, I may miss out on valuable insight, no?