Iwatani Torch

Richard in Idaho

Iwatani Torch
« on: 6 Aug 2011, 05:50 pm »
My local Williams-Sonoma has a Iwatani CB-TC-CLB torch. This seems to be an W-S only model as I can not find it on the net. Did find th CB-TC-Pro. Both fit on top of the fuel can but are some what different. From the pics of the Pro it appears that the one at W-S may be a better unit. And it does cost more ($59.95).
Anyone know if the W-S one is in fact worth the extra cost?

dmatt

Re: Iwatani Torch
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2011, 09:18 pm »
Richard,

I can't comment on the one from W-S. 

But I have the Iwatani CB-TC-Pro you speak of (bought from the sushi chef/proprietor of my favorite sushi haunt years ago) and it works great.  It fits securely on the fuel can, starts and stops easily, flame adjusts easily, and will crank out great creme brulees or sear Ahi.  I'll also use it to roast a marshmallow for s'mores in a pinch.  I see they are selling them on Amazon and are pretty well regarded.

Whichever you go for, you will find this a nice addition to you kitchen tool kit.

Bon Appetit

David

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2011, 06:55 am »
I don't seen any other model on the Iwatani website.  Is w s "williams sonoma"?  I have the plain version and it flat out rocks.  There's no reason I can see to spend more, it does it all.

Richard in Idaho

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2011, 02:43 pm »
W.S. does mean Williams-Sonoma as stated in the first line of my post.

The only one I can find on their web site is a refillable one for $40
My local Williams-Sonoma store has that one and one that attaches to the top of the can. That is the one I was trying to get info on.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2011, 05:00 am »
W.S. does mean Williams-Sonoma as stated in the first line of my post.

D'oh! :duh:  I seriously can't read! :lol:  Anyways, mine is the one one that uses disposable cannisters.  I really love it.  I bought a case of a dozen cans for $24 at a local restaurant supply store, and I also have a portable burner that uses the same one.  The flame adjustment of the Iwatani is great.  Overall it's a tremendous torch.  Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to use the other one.