V Inc. Bravo D1 DVD Player

chino

« on: 15 Apr 2004, 09:57 am »
Guys,
Is this player worthwhile? Opinions/comments anybody?
http://www.vinc.com/product.asp?id=31&PID=21

8thnerve

« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2004, 01:50 pm »
Chino,

If you are in the market for a DVI output DVD player, make sure to include the Samsung HD-531 DVD Player in your list.  Not only does it have a DVI out, but it upsamples the 480p signal to 720p.  The only players I have seen that give a better picture are in the $1000+ range.

Now before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I don't sell this player anymore.  I have one, and I love it, but once I found out that J&R sells it for less than my cost from my distributor!!!, well, there's really no point in selling it then is there?  In fact, then I was irritated that I just didn't buy it from J&R.

Andrikos

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2004, 02:56 pm »
I have the Bravo D1 with my InFocus 7200 (DVI connection of course!)and it has a fantastic picture. It's almost as good as HDTV.
For under $200, it's an unbeatable deal. Highly recommended.
The remote sucks though... :)

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2004, 01:07 am »
Your new Avatar is deeply disturbing, Andrikos.  It frightens me!

Just had to get that off my chest! :P  :lol:

Andrikos

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2004, 01:19 am »
Why thank you. :)

It's red meat comic. The character's name is bugeyed Earl. Good stuff! :)

http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2004, 06:23 am »

chino

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2004, 08:12 am »
:) Thanks all! I'll check out the samsung too.

Jon L

« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2004, 08:00 pm »
Before you buy anything, go to avsforum.com-->DVD players and do a search under Bravo D1.  In addition to numerous problems reported with the D1, the new D2 is supposed to be around the corner, even though V Inc keeps delaying its release.

My origianl plan for my DVI-equipped TV was to buy a D2 when it comes out (due to D1's reliability issues), but their "April, 2004" original releaese date was apparently VERY optimistic.

For DVI/HDMI DVD players, there also Toshiba 5960(just out), upcoming Zenith DVB318, and upcoming Panasonics.

chino

« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2004, 08:24 am »
Quote from: Jon L
Before you buy anything, go to avsforum.com-->DVD players and do a search under Bravo D1.  In addition to numerous problems reported with the D1, the new D2 is supposed to be around the corner, even though V Inc keeps delaying its release.

My origianl plan for my DVI-equipped TV was to buy a D2 when it comes out (due to D1's reliability issues), but their "April, 2004" original releaese date was apparently VERY optimistic.

For DVI/HDMI DVD players, there also Toshiba 5960(just out), upcoming Zenith DVB318, and upcoming Panasonics.

Thanks Jon. I was about to purchase it yesterday when it says theres a 4 week wait I think. I guess we ll wait for D2 then. sweeet! Off the topic... btw where did you guys get your dvi cables at? I might need at least a 25M run to my pj.

rotgg

« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2004, 02:38 am »
i would not buy one i have one i played two dvds in and thats it quit and this is afer i waited 3 months to get it now i have to ship it back and they want me to pay for shipping and will not just give me another unit as soon as i get it back it will be on ebay for sale like the other poster said do a search on avs for it many problems i wish i would not have bouth one  :(

bubba966

« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2004, 03:19 am »
The new Pioneer DV-59AVi has DVI/HDMI output. And is built a good bit better than the Bravo is...

Ears

« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2004, 11:53 am »
I tried a Samsung 931 hd through its progressive scan output only and found it the worst looking player out of 8 players I tried.

Having no dvi on my pj, I ordered a Zenith dvb318hd that upconverts to 1080i through component out for 200.00 including shipping from www.wildwestelectronics.net

Also I believe that the 318 has the macrovision defeated right out of the box and is said to beat players at the top of the Secrets list by 25% according to the ever growing thread on avs.

Greg

8thnerve

« Reply #12 on: 23 Apr 2004, 01:52 pm »
Quote from: Ears
I tried a Samsung 931 hd through its progressive scan output only and found it the worst looking player out of 8 players I tried.

Yeah, I ONLY recommend it for DVI output.  It also does not upsample through the component outs, but even if it did, they are terrible.

rotgg

« Reply #13 on: 13 May 2004, 12:54 am »
hey i just got my d1 back from service it only took 2 months and gues what this time it only played one dvd and quit never buy anything from vinc please do yourself a favor

lcrim

« Reply #14 on: 21 May 2004, 03:48 am »
I had the D1 in my HT system for about 9 months and sold it recently for what I paid for it.  If you are using a display that is digital and maps pixels like a projector or plasma then the picture quality provided by the D1 is SOTA.   If all your equipment is digital, then having a DVD  player that employs a digital connection is the way to go.
There are some caveats however.  I am not aware of any display device that offers more than one DVI input therefore a DVI switcher becomes necessary when you have more than one DVI source.  Most of the new HiDef receivers also employ DVI connections like the Samsung 360 that I have and the LG manufactured Sony, Zenith, Hughes receivers.   A DVI switcher will cost a bit over $200 and that kind of kills the great bang per buck quotient of the Bravo.  My display is a Sony CRT screen (34XBR800) and hence is an analog device, so it has to convert the digital stream into analog and couldn't take full advantage of the D1's quality but it was very good.
In addition the Bravo was a pain in the ass to use.  While it never actually quit working, it was very quirky.  Layer changes took an eternity, it would jam in the middle of a movie and restarting it was the only solution.  But picture quality through DVI is very cinematic particularly when upconverting.  
So if you have a regular CRT display, skip it and get a good Faroudjia based progressive player.  If you have a digital display and don't mind paying for a switcher then a DVI or HDMI equipped player makes sense.

chino

« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2004, 10:58 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. Ive made up my mind and decided to stick to what I have now... the 963SA. I use my player for my 2ch audio as well as HT too. I probably might go for Denon 2200 or 2900 for my next double-duty player. What'd you guys think picture/sound wise compare to my 963SA?

drunkonjack

« Reply #16 on: 24 May 2004, 08:30 pm »
Are the Bravos only internet direct purchases ? I'm interested in the D2

Woodsea

« Reply #17 on: 25 May 2004, 01:11 am »
I have on order the Samsung 941, I bought it thru Amazon for $255, but it won't ship until July  18 :cry:  Oh well, I have waited this long for a new cd player what is another 2 months.

F-100

« Reply #18 on: 25 May 2004, 04:36 am »
Had anyone here tried out the  Momitsu V880 player yet? There is a lot of discussion on this player at AVS forum. I'm thinking about getting one. Just not sure if this player is worth the money.

Fife

« Reply #19 on: 25 May 2004, 05:46 am »
V880 is pretty identical to the D1 but maybe a bit better. It does have glotches as well.
People seem to mod the transport and the powersupply.
Lots of firmware upgrades for it though.