New Drivers, Danny anything cooking?

LarryB

Re: New Drivers, Danny anything cooking?
« Reply #80 on: 16 Feb 2012, 08:48 pm »
Just a little something to go head to head with and defeat speakers like the YG Carmel, or Merlin VSM

Well, no one can accuse you of not being ambitious. :)

I haven't heard the Carmel but I've heard the new carved-from-solid aluminum billet-drivers in the larger models; paired with excellent electronics, they were amongst the lowest distortion speakers I've ever heard.  Needless to say, they are also extremely expensive.

If you'll forgive the shameless plug, here is a link to my interview with Yoav Geva.

Larry

Danny Richie

« Reply #81 on: 16 Feb 2012, 08:54 pm »
I'll read that interview later when I get a chance.

I met Yoav Geva about five or six years ago at CES. His speakers sounded pretty good and I got the impression that he was a pretty sharp kid. No offense meant, but a any young man his age in this industry is a kid.  :)

LarryB

« Reply #82 on: 16 Feb 2012, 09:07 pm »
He is young, and what he's accomplished in a very short time is nothing short of amazing.  Every aspect of his speakers - cabinets, drivers, and cross-overs -are state of the art, and designed and manufactured entirely in-house.  As he explains in the interview, he got his start by winning a prize in Israel for his cross-overs. (As far as I can tell, the current iteration is about as close to phase- and frequency-perfect as anything on the market.)

Larry       

pslate

« Reply #83 on: 16 Feb 2012, 11:04 pm »
Do you think the X-Otica would benefit much from a 12" or 15" sub added to the mix? Smooth out bass response perhaps? Exciting stuff for sure.

Danny Richie

« Reply #84 on: 16 Feb 2012, 11:45 pm »
Do you think the X-Otica would benefit much from a 12" or 15" sub added to the mix? Smooth out bass response perhaps? Exciting stuff for sure.

It all depends on personal preference. A single SW-12-04 servo sub in each corner of the room with them would be pretty cool.  8)

saisunil

« Reply #85 on: 14 Mar 2012, 05:06 am »
How is 8" sub coming along - I need one (pre-fab)

Thanks

Cheeseboy

« Reply #86 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:48 pm »
Danny might go further in a short period of time if he received a grant from the government to get started as well. 

I can't wait to hear the new speakers in an application from GR.

Danny Richie

« Reply #87 on: 14 Mar 2012, 04:16 pm »
New 8" servo subs are in stock, and I have some new models using them in the works.

saisunil

« Reply #88 on: 14 Mar 2012, 09:56 pm »
I think your 8" servo subs will open new markets - for single or multi-sub implementation ...
The key will be implementation / turn-key / product options etc.

Small is good ... call it an iSub ;-) For desktop, 2 channel, multi-channel, single sub, multi-sub ... cool!

cujobob

« Reply #89 on: 14 Mar 2012, 10:29 pm »
Danny might go further in a short period of time if he received a grant from the government to get started as well. 

I can't wait to hear the new speakers in an application from GR.

I don't want to contribute to de-railing this awesome thread, but I love YG's quote: “If it measures good and sounds bad, it needs improvement. If it sounds good and measures bad, it needs improvement. Only if both are good, we should dare offer it to customers.”

I'm not as excited about the 8" servo subs as everyone else, I guess, but I can't wait for the other drivers. I'm buying the small two-way Danny mentioned ASAP.

Rclark

« Reply #90 on: 14 Mar 2012, 11:01 pm »
It might be a while before I start my next speaker project, but I've done the planar thing, and I'd probably want something different. However I do like the planar/dipole sound, and I by far prefer the characteristics of no box sound, less room interaction, mercurial bass, etc. So definitely anticipating the X-Otica. If it's roughly in the price range of the Super V I could totally see it in my top three of next speaker choices.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #91 on: 25 Mar 2012, 04:08 am »
Danny,

Just thought I would churn up this thread with a couple of questions on the 8" servos, now that they have been "in-hand" for a little while:

I'm going to assume here(!) that they operate/perform similarly to the 12" versions in how they behave in various enclosures.  In particular, in OB in H-frames, similar to how the 12"s are set up in the Super-V, is the optimal depth on the H-frame the same for both the 8" and 12" drivers (6.5" in front and back of driver), or is it different?  Any insight as to the magic number?

Second, I remember reading a while back that you and Brian were considering different (higher) extension filter points for the new smaller form factor amp being designed for the 8"s (current amps having 14/20/28Hz settings).  After having them around for a while, any thoughts on the need/desire to follow through on this, or has experience shown no need to change from the "old" amp setting options?

One last question that came to mind regarding the new 6.5" drivers - would these drivers (with crossover modifications if necessary) retrofit into your existing N2X replacing the M165x driver already in use?

Danny Richie

« Reply #92 on: 26 Mar 2012, 01:35 am »
I'm going to assume here(!) that they operate/perform similarly to the 12" versions in how they behave in various enclosures.  In particular, in OB in H-frames, similar to how the 12"s are set up in the Super-V, is the optimal depth on the H-frame the same for both the 8" and 12" drivers (6.5" in front and back of driver), or is it different?  Any insight as to the magic number?

Optimal depth depends on how high they play. A deeper cavity loads the driver more, creates a greater front to back separation and can increase output. However, what you don't want is for it to play high enough in its frequency extension that the shorter wavelengths set up a cavity resonance.

Second, I remember reading a while back that you and Brian were considering different (higher) extension filter points for the new smaller form factor amp being designed for the 8"s (current amps having 14/20/28Hz settings).  After having them around for a while, any thoughts on the need/desire to follow through on this, or has experience shown no need to change from the "old" amp setting options?

Still yet to be determined for sure.

One last question that came to mind regarding the new 6.5" drivers - would these drivers (with crossover modifications if necessary) retrofit into your existing N2X replacing the M165x driver already in use?

Nope, they need a little more air space than that.

Zerogravity

« Reply #93 on: 27 Mar 2012, 01:45 pm »
Not sure if you have mentioned this before? Any idea as to what type of tweeter you will use in the waveguide, perhaps  a Ribbon or certain Planar? Is it possible for the new 6.5 woofers to be used in the N3, if the port was enlarged?

Danny Richie

« Reply #94 on: 27 Mar 2012, 03:19 pm »
Not sure if you have mentioned this before? Any idea as to what type of tweeter you will use in the waveguide, perhaps  a Ribbon or certain Planar? Is it possible for the new 6.5 woofers to be used in the N3, if the port was enlarged?

I am going to be using a dome tweeter in a wave guide. This will allow a really low crossover point.

The new woofers are too big for the N3 box.

Zerogravity

« Reply #95 on: 27 Mar 2012, 04:00 pm »
Sounds great and looking forward to it!

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #96 on: 28 Mar 2012, 12:56 am »
Optimal depth depends on how high they play.

How about at the 200Hz-ish point of your current kits that could use them as "drop-in replacements" - V2 and OB5/7?

Nope, they need a little more air space than that.

With a little more (enough) box volume, would any crossover changes be needed?  Just thinking out loud that reusing tweeters and crossovers with new woofers and bigger parts-express cabinets could make for nice bang-for-the-buck upgrades to folks who already have neo kits done?

Danny Richie

« Reply #97 on: 28 Mar 2012, 01:47 am »
How about at the 200Hz-ish point of your current kits that could use them as "drop-in replacements" - V2 and OB5/7?

200Hz is a good range. It stays just below the fundamentals of the mid-range. Another thing to remember though is that an H frame around an 8" woofer has a smaller diameter from side to side and top to bottom. So proportionally the depth must decrease. So around 4" to 5" of depth on each side will be about ideal.   

With a little more (enough) box volume, would any crossover changes be needed?

It is still a very different woofer with a different response curve. So the crossover would change a little.

Just thinking out loud that reusing tweeters and crossovers with new woofers and bigger parts-express cabinets could make for nice bang-for-the-buck upgrades to folks who already have neo kits done?

Don't worry. I have some things in mind.

gotchaforce

« Reply #98 on: 2 Apr 2012, 01:33 am »
If youre going wave guide go for a proper high sensitivity setup with B&C woofer possibly. Small 94db sensitivity speaker with wave guide =  :thumb:

jeffh

« Reply #99 on: 25 Apr 2012, 03:44 pm »
Danny,
Any updates on your new designs?