New Drivers, Danny anything cooking?

Rclark

Re: New Drivers, Danny anything cooking?
« Reply #20 on: 5 Aug 2011, 08:22 am »

After I get my modified Magnepans in mid December I want to add subs. I've already abandoned the idea of using my Brahma 15's sealed, I'll just put those beasts in the living room in front of the tv where they belong, but for my stereo I'm resigned to the fact that I need GR Research ob subs. Now whether I need to end up with the 12's or 8's remains to be seen. If it is a comparable option pricewise, I think I would prefer 3 ob 8's (so 6 drivers) versus two of the 12" h frames.

But that bridge is still a hazy mess in the distance.

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 5 Aug 2011, 01:48 pm »
I have a new project in the works that involves adding our open baffle servo subs to the Maggies. I will be adding a pair of the 8's below the new 1.7's and a pair of our 12's below the 3.7's. This may also involve a frame support and crossover upgrades. I am just waiting for the new speakers to arrive.

DeeJayBump

« Reply #22 on: 5 Aug 2011, 02:27 pm »
Late 2011 on the 6.5" woofers if all goes well.

Any rough ETA for the completion of the crossovers/design work/voicing of these speaker offerings? And one final set of questions on the x-optima and x-otica offerings: any idea yet how low these will play, are you designing OB or servo subs for them?

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 5 Aug 2011, 02:32 pm »
Any rough ETA for the completion of the crossovers/design work/voicing of these speaker offerings? And one final set of questions on the x-optima and x-otica offerings: any idea yet how low these will play, are you designing OB or servo subs for them?

I am shooting for having these designs completed by the end of the year. Both will be all OB. Details could change once testing begins.

Rclark

« Reply #24 on: 6 Aug 2011, 03:53 am »
Danny, when do you think you're going to offer a Magnepan mod? It sounds like this will be a one piece design?

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 6 Aug 2011, 05:20 am »
I need the speakers here first and they have been on back order for a while.

Bear

« Reply #26 on: 6 Aug 2011, 05:30 am »
Would it not be optimal to place the subs...well, optimally(as opposed to being attached)?  Very interesting.   I also read mention of a wave-guide....abbey killer?  Both these prospects are very interesting.

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #27 on: 14 Aug 2011, 08:56 am »
just wondering, will these new 8's do anything that the 12's wont (well apart from take up less space of course)?

Danny Richie

« Reply #28 on: 14 Aug 2011, 01:21 pm »
Just a smaller foot print.

face

« Reply #29 on: 14 Aug 2011, 08:38 pm »
Danny, if the waveguide is designed to fit the generic 4" tweeter face plate and measure well, they'd be very popular with the DIY crowd.

Danny Richie

« Reply #30 on: 14 Aug 2011, 10:01 pm »
Danny, if the waveguide is designed to fit the generic 4" tweeter face plate and measure well, they'd be very popular with the DIY crowd.

Unfortunately wave guide usage is not what people think it is. You can't just take a well shaped wave guide and use it on any tweeter.

Most tweeters that you add a wave guide to will have cancellation effects in the throat to some degree. And what works perfectly with one tweeter may not work at all with another. It is very dependent on the back wave damping, and how the diaphragm is loaded by the wave guide.

Each tweeter using a wave guide really needs each wave guide custom built for that tweeter.

face

« Reply #31 on: 14 Aug 2011, 10:05 pm »
I agree.  FYI, some Usher, Dayton(RS28), and even some ScanSpeaks share interchangeable face plates.  A waveguide to fit that family would be a good candidate. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 14 Aug 2011, 10:53 pm »
I agree.  FYI, some Usher, Dayton(RS28), and even some ScanSpeaks share interchangeable face plates.  A waveguide to fit that family would be a good candidate. 

If only it worked that way. It takes a lot more than a common face plate to make the same waveguide work the same with each of them.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #33 on: 15 Aug 2011, 02:11 am »
Unfortunately it involves baffle designs that will not be easy for the average DIY'er to replicate.
CNC shop necessary?

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 15 Aug 2011, 02:27 am »
CNC shop necessary?

Yes, the front baffles (CNC cut waveguides) will come with the kit.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #35 on: 15 Aug 2011, 02:45 am »
So, let me get this straight - OB waveguide speakers?  That sounds awesome.

Danny Richie

« Reply #36 on: 15 Aug 2011, 01:47 pm »
So, let me get this straight - OB waveguide speakers?  That sounds awesome.

Yep, two models in the works.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #37 on: 15 Aug 2011, 01:49 pm »
Yep, two models in the works.

Kits?  Release date?

Danny Richie

« Reply #38 on: 15 Aug 2011, 01:51 pm »
Kits?  Release date?

Yes, kits with front baffle, or kits with flat pack. I am working on having these two new kits ready before the end of the year.

Voiceray

« Reply #39 on: 25 Jan 2012, 06:00 pm »
I have a new project in the works that involves adding our open baffle servo subs to the Maggies. I will be adding a pair of the 8's below the new 1.7's and a pair of our 12's below the 3.7's. This may also involve a frame support and crossover upgrades. I am just waiting for the new speakers to arrive.

Any update on the 8's OB design?

Ray