New Drivers, Danny anything cooking?

Marbles

Re: New Drivers, Danny anything cooking?
« Reply #180 on: 12 Sep 2012, 05:35 pm »
Ben, normally you would split the signal after a pre-amp and before the amp section.

rockdrummer

« Reply #181 on: 12 Sep 2012, 05:40 pm »
Thanks Marbles.  So the L and R outs from the preamp splits to two each.  Then before i get to the main amp, i would put the inline high pass so my amp has no low signal to deal with.  My hope is to have the bass sent to A370 servo amps.  In this case the low pass filter in the servo amps will be used.  I think there's a spark in my light bulb!

This is something I've seen mentioned before but I wasn't sure if i needed a preamp with multiple outs.  This makes sense. 

Now to choose a cable company.  Never ends, does it?

I will take suggestions for interconnects a step up from monster.  That's what I have now, but not really able to spend several hundred.

Thanks again,
Ben

Danny Richie

« Reply #182 on: 12 Sep 2012, 07:31 pm »
Thanks Danny, but I do need want speaker level due to the simple receiver setup I have.
Maybe I'll build a high quality passive XO that full ranges the sub and high passes to the monitor.  The sub amp has a built in 80hz low pass on the speaker levels, right?

Is this one of our servo subs?

Danny Richie

« Reply #183 on: 12 Sep 2012, 07:33 pm »
In reference to the inline RCA high pass filter, where does the signal need to be split to get to the subs?  I'm trying to figure this out to see if I can use it with my 2 channel plans. 

Embarassingly clueless. :oops:

Ben

There are a couple of difference ways or places that you can split the signal. Basically you add a Y adapter either at your pre-amp, or at your power amp. Then in the leg leading to your main power amp (driving your speakers) you insert the in line filter.

Danny Richie

« Reply #184 on: 12 Sep 2012, 07:38 pm »
Thanks Marbles.  So the L and R outs from the preamp splits to two each.  Then before i get to the main amp, i would put the inline high pass so my amp has no low signal to deal with.  My hope is to have the bass sent to A370 servo amps.  In this case the low pass filter in the servo amps will be used.  I think there's a spark in my light bulb!

Yeah, you've got it.

This is something I've seen mentioned before but I wasn't sure if i needed a preamp with multiple outs.  This makes sense. 

Pre-amps with more than one output does make it easy, but is not required.

Now to choose a cable company.  Never ends, does it?

I will take suggestions for interconnects a step up from monster.  That's what I have now, but not really able to spend several hundred.

These are still my go to favorites for great performance at a reasonable price: http://www.electracable.com/interconnects.htm

I have some of them in stock and can make you a great deal on them if you are interested in giving them a try.

Marbles

« Reply #185 on: 12 Sep 2012, 07:50 pm »
Yes Danny, one of your servo subs.
I only have 6 of them....I want two more to act as stands for monitor speakers I have and the 8" servo driver will be perfect for this application...two per side.
What I'm thinking is the monitor will be like the upper part of a three way speaker and the sub will be the woofer, as far as the XO is concerned.  What I'm hoping to accomplish is off loading the lower frequencies from the woofer of the two way monitor.

Danny Richie

« Reply #186 on: 12 Sep 2012, 08:13 pm »
The sub amp has a built in 80hz low pass on the speaker levels, right?

Actually it has a 12db per octave slope continuous variable from 25Hz to 125Hz. Then there is a second 12db per octave slope that can be engaged at 50Hz or 80Hz to make the total slope even steeper.

I am afraid that to do what you are wanting to do with your mini-monitor and using the speaker level inputs only, will require you to pull the lows off of your mini's with a passive cap. I wouldn't put it in line with the whole crossover though. I would just put it in line with the woofer circuit. About 100uF to 150uF should do it. Use a good quality poly cap and by-pass it with something like a Gen.2 Sonicap.

And Brian just e-mailed me a little bit ago and said he is sending me one of the new amps on Monday to sign off on. If I sign off on it then it goes into production. It is the smaller sized amps just for the 8" woofers.

Marbles

« Reply #187 on: 12 Sep 2012, 08:44 pm »
Thanks Danny

HT cOz

« Reply #188 on: 12 Sep 2012, 08:47 pm »
Brian just e-mailed me a little bit ago and said he is sending me one of the new amps on Monday to sign off on. If I sign off on it then it goes into production. It is the smaller sized amps just for the 8" woofers.

Woohoo  :banana piano:

richidoo

« Reply #189 on: 12 Sep 2012, 08:54 pm »
Danny, do you know yet what's the high frequency limit for the servo 8"? 

Danny Richie

« Reply #190 on: 12 Sep 2012, 09:28 pm »
Danny, do you know yet what's the high frequency limit for the servo 8"?

About 300Hz will be the limit based on how high the amp will allow them to play.

But keeping the crossover point to around 200Hz or less is ideal as the heart of the mid-range is 300Hz to 500Hz and you really want to avoid a crossover in that area.

Voiceray

« Reply #191 on: 13 Sep 2012, 03:04 am »
Will there be any frequency curve charts for the 8" closed sub?

Cheeseboy

« Reply #192 on: 13 Sep 2012, 03:41 am »
Finally a sub for my office!

Danny Richie

« Reply #193 on: 13 Sep 2012, 06:51 pm »
Will there be any frequency curve charts for the 8" closed sub?

As soon as I get a chance I will make some. Keep in mind though that it is servo controlled. So you can almost make them do anything you want and play to where ever you want them to play.

HT cOz

« Reply #194 on: 13 Sep 2012, 07:23 pm »
Danny,

What will the lowest height possible be for 2 8" Servo drivers?  3 8" Servor drivers?  Can they be angled to reduce the height?

Thanks,
Robert
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2012, 09:04 pm by HT cOz »

saisunil

« Reply #195 on: 13 Sep 2012, 10:39 pm »
I'd be interested in 8" OB subs for small to medium room to go with monitors  :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #196 on: 14 Sep 2012, 02:21 am »
Danny,

What will the lowest height possible be for 2 8" Servo drivers?  3 8" Servor drivers?  Can they be angled to reduce the height?

Thanks,
Robert

Figure 8.75" across the frame of each woofer. And some space between them. The sealed box, low Q versions only need .35 cubic feet of air space per woofer.

Danny Richie

« Reply #197 on: 14 Sep 2012, 02:21 am »
I'd be interested in 8" OB subs for small to medium room to go with monitors  :thumb:

I've got them.

HT cOz

« Reply #198 on: 30 Sep 2012, 04:20 am »
Danny,

If I wanted to build an 8" Sub version of the sub section of the Super V, how will it change because of the different driver?  Will the box be less deep?  Or will the only changes be related to the smaller 8" driver?

Danny Richie

« Reply #199 on: 30 Sep 2012, 05:32 am »
Danny,

If I wanted to build an 8" Sub version of the sub section of the Super V, how will it change because of the different driver?  Will the box be less deep?  Or will the only changes be related to the smaller 8" driver?

If you scaled it down to the 8" servo subs then the size of each 4 sided box around each driver would get smaller and the depth would have to be reduced as well. There are a lot of options as to what can be placed over it too.