New Drivers, Danny anything cooking?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: New Drivers, Danny anything cooking?
« Reply #140 on: 22 Aug 2012, 04:22 pm »
Can you do an OB version of the Omni?  Or does it have to be in a box to get the right dispersion pattern?

Danny Richie

« Reply #141 on: 22 Aug 2012, 07:31 pm »
Can you do an OB version of the Omni?  Or does it have to be in a box to get the right dispersion pattern?

You can't lay a driver on its side in an open baffle or you will be listening in the null. Open baffle drivers have to face the listening position.

Rclark

« Reply #142 on: 22 Aug 2012, 08:00 pm »
What might help is having more detailed information on the reason for the design, what the advantages are, and any possible tradeoffs vs conventional speakers.  And some customer tutorials or links to reviews - all these build confidence for people to give non-standard designs a try.  Same for the OB speakers - there's tons of stuff that could be put on the site that would show people the advantages to give them some idea of what to expect with the build.

Big +1. Make me want these as my next speaker instead of the four other choices I have in mind.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #143 on: 22 Aug 2012, 10:26 pm »
Doh, I knew that :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #144 on: 23 Aug 2012, 05:05 pm »

Big +1. Make me want these as my next speaker instead of the four other choices I have in mind.

Are you looking at one of my omni designs or one of the new open baffle designs that I am working on?

Rclark

« Reply #145 on: 23 Aug 2012, 06:04 pm »
They all seem pretty cool (and the concepts look awesome) but not sure because you haven't put up any info on any of it yet.

Danny Richie

« Reply #146 on: 23 Aug 2012, 07:02 pm »
They all seem pretty cool (and the concepts look awesome) but not sure because you haven't put up any info on any of it yet.

The omni designs are listed on my web site.

Here: http://gr-research.com/av-o.aspx

And Here: http://gr-research.com/o-3.aspx

On the new open baffle designs, more info will me made available as testing is completed.

Rclark

« Reply #147 on: 23 Aug 2012, 07:53 pm »
No, I'm taking X-Otica, etc. The new stuff.

HT cOz

« Reply #148 on: 23 Aug 2012, 08:59 pm »
I already have Ruben covered up.

I bet RMAF this year will be pretty spectacular!  :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #149 on: 23 Aug 2012, 10:18 pm »
No, I'm taking X-Otica, etc. The new stuff.

From the responses I got from the new drivers (via samples). I am guessing that X-Otica will indeed be seriously good.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #150 on: 24 Aug 2012, 12:29 am »
Danny, reading these updates, I'm very much looking forward to your room at RMAF.  Lately, I've been thinking more about trying out an omni speaker.  I'm still playing the super-v coaxes. . . on the floor. . . pointed up. . . with a completely wrong crossover.   :lol: 

I took the time a few weeks back to get them up at the right height (and pointed at me instead of up) and played around a little with placement and such, again just kind of trying to get a feel for the super-v proper.  I haven't drilled out the back cups of the tweeters yet, and the crossover I have has sonicaps on the tweeter rather than the jupiter caps in the super-v crossover.  These things in consideration, I know that the tweeters are most likely running a bit "hot" (among other issues) in comparison to the super-v proper.

What the experiment reminded me of is something I learned when I had strata minis in the house.  I think I'm more of a "half way between center and back on the floor" or "front of the upper balcony" kind of listener, as opposed to a "front row, center" kind of person.  Dumb as it may sound, I get more of the further back in the hall kind of presentation with the drivers pointed up and on the floor.

This really makes me curious about if this is a general trait of the omni designs, or just a set of coincidences in this particular room/rough setup.  It also really makes me want to hear the super-v proper to really see how it is done.

In any case, congratulations on seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on the new drivers!  The audio industry seems a little overdue for some GR-style shakeup, and I'm sure it will be fun to get back to square one tuning audio show demo rooms with all-new speakers.  I mean, seriously, reading the reviews it sounds like you've gotten pretty good at getting the V's dialed in by now. . . :green:

Danny Richie

« Reply #151 on: 24 Aug 2012, 03:30 am »
Jonathon,

You just need to hear a pair of Super-V's.  :green:

morganc

« Reply #152 on: 24 Aug 2012, 04:21 am »
From the responses I got from the new drivers (via samples). I am guessing that X-Otica will indeed be seriously good.

How will the X Otica compare sonically to two of your best, the LS-6 and the Super V, Danny? 

Danny Richie

« Reply #153 on: 24 Aug 2012, 01:26 pm »
How will the X Otica compare sonically to two of your best, the LS-6 and the Super V, Danny?

You'll have to ask me that after I have had time to compare them.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #154 on: 24 Aug 2012, 06:15 pm »
Danny or anyone who would like to chime in, would your new drivers work in a TL design? I need a speaker I can put about 2' from the front wall in a really big room (22' X 37' with a 17.5' flat ceiling)and as much as I would like to build a Super V I just don't have the ability to move them into the room. I have been looking at a particular TL design just because the designer claims I can put them close to the front wall and the bass goes pretty low with two 10" rear facing woofers. Another member mentioned a sealed enclosure as an option, but I would really like to do something from you. Thanks for your help.

Danny Richie

« Reply #155 on: 24 Aug 2012, 06:41 pm »
Danny or anyone who would like to chime in, would your new drivers work in a TL design? I need a speaker I can put about 2' from the front wall in a really big room (22' X 37' with a 17.5' flat ceiling)and as much as I would like to build a Super V I just don't have the ability to move them into the room. I have been looking at a particular TL design just because the designer claims I can put them close to the front wall and the bass goes pretty low with two 10" rear facing woofers. Another member mentioned a sealed enclosure as an option, but I would really like to do something from you. Thanks for your help.

The X-Pro will be a single woofer (new M-165NQ) with the Peerless tweeter in a wave guide. And it will be in a transmission line design that can exit out the front or the rear. 

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #156 on: 24 Aug 2012, 06:56 pm »
Thanks Danny, Do you think this speaker will be able to fill my large room? And how low will it go and how well do you think it will work that close to the wall? I know these are new so a guess is fine with me.

Danny Richie

« Reply #157 on: 24 Aug 2012, 07:09 pm »
Thanks Danny, Do you think this speaker will be able to fill my large room? And how low will it go and how well do you think it will work that close to the wall? I know these are new so a guess is fine with me.

-3db will be in the 34 to 38Hz range, and with the TL terminating in the front it could go fairly close to the rear wall. However, I don't see it filling a large room. It will be more of a small room speaker.

Now if I did an MTM version of it then that might be a different story.

jn316

« Reply #158 on: 24 Aug 2012, 07:32 pm »
Man. Gotta love the different options Danny's about to put out there. Going to look under the sofa cushions for some more coin! Would love to get into one of the new NEO 10 designs.
 :thumb:

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #159 on: 24 Aug 2012, 09:00 pm »
Danny, if you would come up with that type of design I would be all over it. I want to build something good that will work in this #*!!! room of mine.