New Drivers, Danny anything cooking?

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
Re: New Drivers, Danny anything cooking?
« Reply #120 on: 6 Aug 2012, 11:41 am »
Neodymium is one of many R/M's that we watch, and the cost has been a hockey stick over the past year.  Note that on Parts Express, Tang Band has replaced some of its former neodymium magnet drivers with much larger (but now less expensive) regular magnets.
« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2012, 10:30 am by Hank »

pureiso

« Reply #121 on: 15 Aug 2012, 03:45 pm »
Danny, concerning the new 6.5" woofers you are working on, did you plan on possibly offering a modification to the X-Statiks? 

Of course, maybe I am thinking incorrectly here and it may not work.  But the midranges would be able to be swapped out pretty easily with something like that and also it would be open baffle, so we would not have to worry about the changes besides to the crossover.

Yes, no, crazy?

Danny Richie

« Reply #122 on: 15 Aug 2012, 04:17 pm »
Danny, concerning the new 6.5" woofers you are working on, did you plan on possibly offering a modification to the X-Statiks? 

Of course, maybe I am thinking incorrectly here and it may not work.  But the midranges would be able to be swapped out pretty easily with something like that and also it would be open baffle, so we would not have to worry about the changes besides to the crossover.

Yes, no, crazy?

Yes, that could be done.

But it might be a better idea to step up to an X-Optima or X-Otica to go another step or two further still.

pureiso

« Reply #123 on: 15 Aug 2012, 04:30 pm »
Would it be a relatively simple swap or would it require a large change to the crossover?

Danny Richie

« Reply #124 on: 15 Aug 2012, 06:43 pm »
Would it be a relatively simple swap or would it require a large change to the crossover?

Oh, the crossover would definitely have to change. 

skeeter99

« Reply #125 on: 17 Aug 2012, 04:22 am »
Yes, that could be done.

But it might be a better idea to step up to an X-Optima or X-Otica to go another step or two further still.

Are you done with the X-Otica and X-Optima designs? Did I miss something??

Scott

Danny Richie

« Reply #126 on: 17 Aug 2012, 04:46 am »
Are you done with the X-Otica and X-Optima designs? Did I miss something??

Scott

I am waiting for the new drivers to arrive. Then I'll get those two models done.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #127 on: 17 Aug 2012, 01:47 pm »
I am waiting for the new drivers to arrive. Then I'll get those two models done.
Any chance they'll show up in time to have something new to show off at RMAF?  :green:

skeeter99

« Reply #128 on: 17 Aug 2012, 02:07 pm »

Ahh got ya. Haven't been online much lately so wasn't sure. Thanks!

Scott

Danny Richie

« Reply #129 on: 17 Aug 2012, 02:09 pm »
Any chance they'll show up in time to have something new to show off at RMAF?  :green:

They will be here before then.

This morning I got measurements of production samples.

They are trying to have these ready to ship on Tuesday.

It has been a long road, but we are almost there.

skeeter99

« Reply #130 on: 17 Aug 2012, 02:28 pm »
They will be here before then.

This morning I got measurements of production samples.

They are trying to have these ready to ship on Tuesday.

It has been a long road, but we are almost there.

I gotta say I'm pretty excited about these designs. Is there a place where you describe each one or is it all through this thread?

HT cOz

« Reply #131 on: 21 Aug 2012, 08:12 pm »
Any chance of seeing the new drivers in an Omni arrangement with a Neo tweeter?

Danny Richie

« Reply #132 on: 21 Aug 2012, 09:17 pm »
Any chance of seeing the new drivers in an Omni arrangement with a Neo tweeter?

I have thought of that, but the problem with those designs has been the looks. While the performance is there in spades, people have a tough time with the looks and understanding how they work. Many still think the sound has to bounce off the ceiling or something...

And sales of my omni designs have lagged considerably behind our conventional designs.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #133 on: 21 Aug 2012, 10:37 pm »
What might help is having more detailed information on the reason for the design, what the advantages are, and any possible tradeoffs vs conventional speakers.  And some customer tutorials or links to reviews - all these build confidence for people to give non-standard designs a try.  Same for the OB speakers - there's tons of stuff that could be put on the site that would show people the advantages to give them some idea of what to expect with the build.

emac

« Reply #134 on: 21 Aug 2012, 10:49 pm »
I have thought of that, but the problem with those designs has been the looks. While the performance is there in spades, people have a tough time with the looks and understanding how they work. Many still think the sound has to bounce off the ceiling or something...

And sales of my omni designs have lagged considerably behind our conventional designs.

My wife and I like the look of the O-3's we have in the living room. :D  Small footprint and usually if people know anything about speakers they go to take a look at the interesting design. 

But I completely agree that people don't understand how the omni's work.  I don't think people realize how good they can sound if done properly.

Another problem I think people run into is the distance you need from the walls.  A lot of people put their speakers close to corners (where they may or may not belong), and that won't work well w/ the omni design.

So, while I would love to have more omni designs, I can see where they would also run into problems. 

HT cOz

« Reply #135 on: 21 Aug 2012, 11:13 pm »
I was thinking they would make great show speakers. Given the size of the show rooms, their ease of placement,  large sweet spot, and holographic sound stage make them seem like a natural for that environment. Add an 8. Inch servo sub and with a little tweeking you would have a great show room.

I understand the challenges with marketing them.

Robert

Danny Richie

« Reply #136 on: 21 Aug 2012, 11:17 pm »
What might help is having more detailed information on the reason for the design, what the advantages are, and any possible tradeoffs vs conventional speakers.  And some customer tutorials or links to reviews - all these build confidence for people to give non-standard designs a try.  Same for the OB speakers - there's tons of stuff that could be put on the site that would show people the advantages to give them some idea of what to expect with the build.

I agree with all of that.

emac, you too are very spot on.

And Robert, I took some O-3's to RMAF one year. I sat them out in front of some OB-7 pluses and most people thought that the big speakers behind them were playing. They sounded great.

Even when you do educate people about the advantages, it is still really hard for them to go for it.

The X-Omni's sound better then the X-LS. Same drivers just a different configuration. And when people ask me I tell them, the X-Omni sounds better. But they still go for the X-LS. It just looks more right. Go figure....

Early B.

« Reply #137 on: 22 Aug 2012, 01:41 pm »

Yeah, omni designs are a hard sell. The only reason I purchased a pair of O-3's was because Danny designed them. A few years ago, my friend had a pair of Mirage omnidirectional speakers, and I didn't care for them at all. I've gone through a lot of speakers over the years, and the O-3's are, by far, the best I've heard in my home.  Once I added the dual servo sub kit, that was the icing on the cake.

HT cOz

« Reply #138 on: 22 Aug 2012, 03:01 pm »
Danny,

Maybe it would be easier if I had Ruben build you cabinets for such a model?  What is the volume lowest volume needed for a sealed or ported cabinet using the new driver 6.5" driver?  Is there a new 5.25" driver, I can't remember?

Robert

Danny Richie

« Reply #139 on: 22 Aug 2012, 03:07 pm »
Danny,

Maybe it would be easier if I had Ruben build you cabinets for such a model?  What is the volume lowest volume needed for a sealed or ported cabinet using the new driver 6.5" driver?  Is there a new 5.25" driver, I can't remember?

Robert

I already have Ruben covered up.