What say ye of Jaton?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
What say ye of Jaton?
« on: 3 Aug 2011, 02:58 am »
I recently read a review of the Jaton RC2000S pre-amp/DAC...

What I read of the piece from Steremojo intrigued me (not the DAC per se because I already have two), but the combination of company philosophy, price, content value, features (note remote controlled sub output and bass management), and of course the description of the balanced/neutral sound (in particular soundstage/imaging & voice) pushed many of my buttons.

OTOH I also found a luke warm review from Audiophilia for it's sister piece (RC2000P pre-amp/phono pre-amp).  Perhaps a power cord swap (as mentioned in the steremojo review would have helped).

Honestly I was looking into a tubed pre-amp, but my experience with a popular tubed DAC has been a bit of a turn off.

Not much information out there, any opinions of the company/piece?

cliffy

Re: What say ye of Jaton?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2011, 04:08 am »
I have the 2000P.  Works for me :icon_lol:

I tried the 2000S but the DAC did not accept my cable box input (could not get Stereo PCM data out of the DVR).  I went to the Milpitas factory to pick mine up and they gave me an upgraded power cord.

Where are you located?  I see from your profile you are in Michigan.  A little too far for a visit.  I am in the SF Bay Area.

JLM

« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2011, 11:30 am »
Cliffy,

"Works for me  :icon_lol:" leaves me  :scratch:  Could you elaborate please?

But it's "balanced/neutral" sound could have that effect.

I'm envisioning down the road of having the RC2000S as the center of a downscaled/combined/low maintenance A/V system (an upgrade but similar to what I had 12 years ago  :roll:).

cliffy

« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2011, 02:44 am »
I was looking for a preamp once I got a good deal on Nuforce Ref9SEv3 amps.
 My speakers are VMPS 626 in-wall w/Megawoofers and CDWG's.  Sources are: Comcast HD DVR, SB Touch with Bolder modified Elpac power supply, Oppo DVD player, and an Onkyo 6-CD carousel.  I use the Oppo HDMI switcher to send video to my JVC LCD HDTV.

I first tried a Sherbourn Pre-1.  The sound was great but the size of the preamp did not pass the WAF hurdle. (Let me know if you want to buy it? :D)

I then tried an Emotiva UMC-1. I thought a pre-pro would be nice since it could handle all of the HDMI video switching and also had some room/speaker EQ
functionality.  The size was right and the boss approved of the appearance but not the performance :|.  I could not handle the HDMI handshake delays that occurred during commercials while watching HDTV and the sound for music did not 'connect' with me.

I live in the SF Bay area and heard about Jaton. They are only 30 minutes away from me so I checked them out. They let me try a loaner 2000S.

Unfortunately, I could not get a LPCM signal out of my DVR's coax or optical out (only HDMI) so the preamp DAC was not useful for me. I liked the overall sound and returned the 2000S for a 2000P. They gave me an upgraded PC when I got the unit and this is what I currently use.

I really enjoy the sound of my system. The only caveat would be that my Nuforce amps do not have a ton of gain so extremely inefficient speakers would not be a good match for the Nuforce/Jaton combo.

Hope that explaination helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Off topic:  I went to college in Flint :o

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2011, 11:51 pm »
I recently read a review of the Jaton RC2000S pre-amp/DAC...

What I read of the piece from Steremojo intrigued me (not the DAC per se because I already have two), but the combination of company philosophy, price, content value, features (note remote controlled sub output and bass management), and of course the description of the balanced/neutral sound (in particular soundstage/imaging & voice) pushed many of my buttons.

OTOH I also found a luke warm review from Audiophilia for it's sister piece (RC2000P pre-amp/phono pre-amp).  Perhaps a power cord swap (as mentioned in the steremojo review would have helped).

Honestly I was looking into a tubed pre-amp, but my experience with a popular tubed DAC has been a bit of a turn off.

Not much information out there, any opinions of the company/piece?

Hi JLM,

I am a JATON dealer and thought I might clarify a couple things;

1) The RC2000P doesn't have a phono preamp.
2) The RC2000S has the DAC and the LFE output

If you would like a dealer's perspective on the company, I have worked with JATON for at least 3 years, and they seem truly dedicated to making a good product and offering good customer service.

They have sent me products to DEMO (as a dealer) to get my feedback on what might be needed to make them better.  I spent quite a bit of time with two versions of the RC2000P.  I did find a couple issues with some of their speakers (but not much with the preamp) and they quickly set about to make them better.

If I was to make a suggestion, I would offer that in a serious system you might prefer the "P" version with your own outboard DAC.

PS; I might also add that Cliffy's Sherbourn PRE-1 is ALSO an excellent Preamp in its price class.

However, without knowing your system and ultimate goals, it would be hard to say how effective either would be in your system.

JLM

« Reply #5 on: 5 Aug 2011, 06:45 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I’ve heard the VMPS 626 and really like them and own an old Oppo.  Not familiar with the Sherbourn, but will look into it (whenever the phone company restores the home internet service).  Wow, tough domestic manager!

My Channel Island Audio D-100 (modded Hypex) monoblocks can be configured for 26 or 32 dB of gain (bought used, not sure which these are), so ultimately should be no problem with pre-amp output.  I really like the concept of monoblocks and these use tiny amounts of electricity while sounding great.  I’m committed to CD for now and maybe computer source later (no vinyl).  So I was thinking of only having TV, computer, and blu-ray player (if computer isn’t up to the latest video, currently I’d look at the Oppo 93/95) for sources in a system with LFE subwoofer.  I’d keep this pre-amp and the monoblocks.  So I don’t see a lot of compatibility issues with the limited RC2000P/S output.

Neutral sound, great soundstage/imaging, and especially the bass management/subwoofer capabilities is what got me interested in the Jaton RC2000S as a reasonably priced high-end pre-amp.

BTW I listen mostly to classical and jazz at moderate levels in a 2,000 cu. ft. room with 54 year old ears.  Good to read positive things about all these pieces.  John, why (other than cost) would you recommend the RC2000P over the RC2000S?  Note that I have no need for phono pre or DAC.

Currently I’m running an Onix CD-3 with Scott Endler modded Behringer DEQ 2496 (DEQ/DAC) for a front end.  I use stepped attenuators directly into the monoblocks that are wired straight into Fostex F200A full range drivers (30-20,000 Hz, 8 ohm, 90 dB/w/m, AlNiCo) mounted in Martin King inspired Brineacoustics FTA-2000 mass loaded transmission lines (no need for a sub in this 100% music system).  The DEQ allows me to forgo the baffle step/zobel circuit that the speaker needs and provide some room EQ.  But the system I’m thinking of would include video and be a bit lower scale speakers (sound quality/price) as I approach retirement (and older ears).

College in Flint eh cliffy?  GMI, Mott, or U/M Flint?

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 5 Aug 2011, 07:49 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys!

My Channel Island Audio D-100 (modded Hypex) monoblocks can be configured for 26 or 32 dB of gain (bought used, not sure which these are), so ultimately should be no problem with pre-amp output.  I really like the concept of monoblocks and these use tiny amounts of electricity while sounding great.  I’m committed to CD for now and maybe computer source later (no vinyl).  So I was thinking of only having TV, computer, and blu-ray player (if computer isn’t up to the latest video, currently I’d look at the Oppo 93/95) for sources in a system with LFE subwoofer.  I’d keep this pre-amp and the monoblocks.  So I don’t see a lot of compatibility issues with the limited RC2000P/S output.

Neutral sound, great soundstage/imaging, and especially the bass management/subwoofer capabilities is what got me interested in the Jaton RC2000S as a reasonably priced high-end pre-amp.

BTW I listen mostly to classical and jazz at moderate levels in a 2,000 cu. ft. room with 54 year old ears.  Good to read positive things about all these pieces.  John, why (other than cost) would you recommend the RC2000P over the RC2000S?  Note that I have no need for phono pre or DAC.

I suggested the P since I thought you already had an as good "outboard" DAC.  Also as I mentioned above, neither JATON has a phono pre in it.

However, I would still suggest the "P" if you move on the OPPO BDP-95 since it has a better DAC chipset than the JATON (IMO)

Since you don't find a sub nessessary, you also wouldn't need the LFE/SUB output of the "S".

Currently I’m running an Onix CD-3 with Scott Endler modded Behringer DEQ 2496 (DEQ/DAC) for a front end.  I use stepped attenuators directly into the monoblocks that are wired straight into Fostex F200A full range drivers (30-20,000 Hz, 8 ohm, 90 dB/w/m, AlNiCo) mounted in Martin King inspired Brineacoustics FTA-2000 mass loaded transmission lines (no need for a sub in this 100% music system).  The DEQ allows me to forgo the baffle step/zobel circuit that the speaker needs and provide some room EQ.  But the system I’m thinking of would include video and be a bit lower scale speakers (sound quality/price) as I approach retirement (and older ears).

College in Flint eh cliffy?  GMI, Mott, or U/M Flint?

cliffy

« Reply #7 on: 6 Aug 2011, 01:12 am »
GMI 1991-6.

JLM

« Reply #8 on: 6 Aug 2011, 01:29 am »
Cliffy,

Tri-State University (Angola, Indiana 1974-1978).  We got several GMI transfers while I was in college (we had similar academic programs).  Good students.  Ah!  Those were the days of stereo (audio).  My room-mate coop'd at Electro-Voice, so we had access to really cheap factory seconds of some monster speakers that were silly big for college kids.

I tried to get my son interested in engineering like the old man, but he went to a little school in East Lansing and got a bio-chem degree.

From what I can find looks like the Jaton is a sizable step up from the Sherbourn.

JLM

« Reply #9 on: 6 Aug 2011, 01:53 am »
John,

Somehow I thought the "P" in RC2000P was for phono pre-amp (thought I even recalled MC/MM switch and a phono grounding lug).  But I was thinking of the RC2000S as someday replacing the FTA-2000 with smaller mains with a sub when I consolidate both audio rigs and the HT system.  (Or maybe I should get another pair of speakers, so I could set up a 4th system.  Then I could open an audio shop.   :lol: :roll: :o)

Yes, from what I've read I'd imagine using the Oppo 95 vs. using the on board DAC on the Jaton.