Which KT88 Brand to Buy? So many to choose from

Freo-1

Re: Which KT88 Brand to Buy? So many to choose from
« Reply #40 on: 5 Sep 2011, 09:10 pm »
Theres no doubt about it the Pentas ARE made by Shuguangs. And yes an identical shug branded tube can be bought, though if memory serves there is some difference whether it be matching tolerances or some other magic pixie dust.

Pez, how much of a difference do you hear between the KT88SC and the Black Treasures?  While I think the Black Treasures are better, I'm not sure they are that much of an improvement overall sonically.  Better, yes, but not necessarily all that noticeable over the Pentas.

BTW, one KT88 I rarely seen brought up is the SED Winged C KT88.  There seems to be good press in Europe, but here stateside, most folks do not seem to like them.  Too bad, as they look more robust than most K88s made currently.   I have not herd them lately, but the last time I did listen to them, they seemed dull sounding.  The JJ sounded compressed, and the bass was not natural sounding.

Pez

« Reply #41 on: 7 Sep 2011, 09:29 pm »
check out my review for my full opinion:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=77818.0

Short answer, the Treasures a much better.

Faust3D

« Reply #42 on: 8 Sep 2011, 03:57 am »
Pez, how much of a difference do you hear between the KT88SC and the Black Treasures?  While I think the Black Treasures are better, I'm not sure they are that much of an improvement overall sonically.  Better, yes, but not necessarily all that noticeable over the Pentas.

BTW, one KT88 I rarely seen brought up is the SED Winged C KT88.  There seems to be good press in Europe, but here stateside, most folks do not seem to like them.  Too bad, as they look more robust than most K88s made currently.   I have not herd them lately, but the last time I did listen to them, they seemed dull sounding.  The JJ sounded compressed, and the bass was not natural sounding.

I got NOS (well they are 12 years old) KT88 SED quad from 1999 and they sound very good in my VAC PA80/80. I like them much better than original VAC tubes (looks like Golden Dragon branded VAC), Shugaung KT88-98 and better than EH KT88 I tried. I will compare to Penta KT88SC soon and report back.

I wanted to try ST black bottle KT88's, but a friend of mine talked me out of it since he tried them and feels that they are basically slightly better Shugaung KT88-98 in a nice box with better selection and HPCC coating. Never heard Golden Lion KT88, but some time ago I heard an amp with Original Tesla NOS KT88-s tubes that replaced chinese KT88 and they were very good sounding tubes, huge difference in that PP amp.

I tend to like how various SED tubes sound, they usually have very good bass, separation and transient response. I heard all this improved over EH and VAC KT88 tubes in my amp. If you like SED sound signature and prefer it over Shugaung tubes in general give them a try, very nice tubes. There is also a very interesting Fullmusic KT88/C and Canada-Fuller KT88 tubes both made in china, never heard them but I would like to.

Freo-1

« Reply #43 on: 8 Sep 2011, 09:18 pm »
I got NOS (well they are 12 years old) KT88 SED quad from 1999 and they sound very good in my VAC PA80/80. I like them much better than original VAC tubes (looks like Golden Dragon branded VAC), Shugaung KT88-98 and better than EH KT88 I tried. I will compare to Penta KT88SC soon and report back.

I wanted to try ST black bottle KT88's, but a friend of mine talked me out of it since he tried them and feels that they are basically slightly better Shugaung KT88-98 in a nice box with better selection and HPCC coating. Never heard Golden Lion KT88, but some time ago I heard an amp with Original Tesla NOS KT88-s tubes that replaced chinese KT88 and they were very good sounding tubes, huge difference in that PP amp.

I tend to like how various SED tubes sound, they usually have very good bass, separation and transient response. I heard all this improved over EH and VAC KT88 tubes in my amp. If you like SED sound signature and prefer it over Shugaung tubes in general give them a try, very nice tubes. There is also a very interesting Fullmusic KT88/C and Canada-Fuller KT88 tubes both made in china, never heard them but I would like to.

Nice amp.  Thanks for your feedback on the SED tubes.

I think the Black Treasures are a bit more than what your friend is telling you.  I do really like them.  I've been comparing the Black Treasures to the Penta KT88, and it's not as big a difference as you would think.  So far, the Black Treasures are definitely better, but the Pentas I'm using still need to break in.  They are getting closer to the Treasures as they break in. 

The other tubes you mention (Fuller/Canada Fuller) are a bit of a mystery.  There is some info on the web about them, but do not know of anyone who actually has them.

The best KT88 I have heard is the EAT KT88.  Wonderful, life like sound, but priced beyond reason.

Faust3D

« Reply #44 on: 9 Sep 2011, 03:05 am »
Tried a matched quad of Penta KT88SC with solid plates and triple getters. Different sound signature, much more delicate presentation without powerful tight bass that SED tubes have. Mids, especially lower mids (male voices and such), have a bit less body and are more air. Transient response is better with SED for sure. Nice tubes, different but to my ears not better than SEDs.

Pez

« Reply #45 on: 9 Sep 2011, 05:11 am »
If you like the sound of the SEDs give the gold lion KT66 tube a try. They have very similar sonic, bit more refinement IMO.

Alonski

« Reply #46 on: 9 Sep 2011, 09:22 am »
Greetings from the new guy.

Has anyone tried the Black Treasures KT88 in a VAC Phi 200? I got this superb amp only a few months ago and I just love it. When designing it, Kevin Hayes chose KT88SC-MQS for this amp and they sound great, although I don't know much about them. When something sounds so good, it's sometimes hard to imagine it getting better until you hear it in your own system. I'd be interested in hearing from VAC owners about your tube rolling adventures. Thanks in advance.

Faust3D

« Reply #47 on: 9 Sep 2011, 11:47 am »
Greetings from the new guy.

Has anyone tried the Black Treasures KT88 in a VAC Phi 200? I got this superb amp only a few months ago and I just love it. When designing it, Kevin Hayes chose KT88SC-MQS for this amp and they sound great, although I don't know much about them. When something sounds so good, it's sometimes hard to imagine it getting better until you hear it in your own system. I'd be interested in hearing from VAC owners about your tube rolling adventures. Thanks in advance.

KT88SC-MQS is based on Penta Lab KT88 tube and is made in China by the Shuguang factory, basically a Penta lab version of KTT88.

Faust3D

« Reply #48 on: 9 Sep 2011, 11:49 am »
If you like the sound of the SEDs give the gold lion KT66 tube a try. They have very similar sonic, bit more refinement IMO.

KT66 will not work in my amp, but I will try a quad of old Ei KT90 soon, should be fan.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #49 on: 9 Sep 2011, 11:57 am »
Hmmm.  Never heard of a KT88 amp that wouldn't also take KT66s.  Can it run EL34s?

Faust3D

« Reply #50 on: 9 Sep 2011, 12:35 pm »
Hmmm.  Never heard of a KT88 amp that wouldn't also take KT66s.  Can it run EL34s?

Plenty of amps like that. Nope, it will fry a quad of EL34 in about 2 seconds.

Pez

« Reply #51 on: 9 Sep 2011, 05:12 pm »
Ya not unheard of for a KT88 amp to not run el34s or equivalent. Oh well, how long have you run the Pentas for? Are they broken in?

Faust3D

« Reply #52 on: 9 Sep 2011, 10:39 pm »
Ya not unheard of for a KT88 amp to not run el34s or equivalent. Oh well, how long have you run the Pentas for? Are they broken in?

They had about 60 hours on them before I tried them in this amp. They sound nice, but I don't think they are objectively better than SEDs, just different sound signature. I feel that SEDs are more dynamic and have better transients and bass, in my amp with my speakers, than any KT88 I heard so far.

Freo-1

« Reply #53 on: 9 Sep 2011, 11:38 pm »
They had about 60 hours on them before I tried them in this amp. They sound nice, but I don't think they are objectively better than SEDs, just different sound signature. I feel that SEDs are more dynamic and have better transients and bass, in my amp with my speakers, than any KT88 I heard so far.

I had just the opposite experience with my old HK Citation II.  The SED KT88 sounded dull compared to the Penta KT88.  The bass had no definition.  Now, the SED tubes were late 90's production, so not sure how the current ones are.

I now own an Eastern Electric M88, which is a much different sounding amp from the old HK.  I've been curious about trying SED tubes with the M88.  I have tried the Black Treasures and Pentas with the M88, and they both are great.  The Treasures are really special, but the Pentas are not far behind.

Faust3D

« Reply #54 on: 10 Sep 2011, 03:47 pm »
I had just the opposite experience with my old HK Citation II.  The SED KT88 sounded dull compared to the Penta KT88.  The bass had no definition.  Now, the SED tubes were late 90's production, so not sure how the current ones are.

I now own an Eastern Electric M88, which is a much different sounding amp from the old HK.  I've been curious about trying SED tubes with the M88.  I have tried the Black Treasures and Pentas with the M88, and they both are great.  The Treasures are really special, but the Pentas are not far behind.

Interesting. What kind of speakers do you use with your M88?

Freo-1

« Reply #55 on: 10 Sep 2011, 06:37 pm »
I'm using Source Technologies 277SE at the 4 ohm tap.

Here is a link to the speaker information:

http://www.sourcespeaker.com/266WC.html

As I stated earlier, Would be curious to try the SED again  I had used them with Polk LSI 15's to the HK before.

Also, found this thread while researching the Black Treasures:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=89859.0

Craig (NOS Valves) reckons that the Black Treasures are KT88-98 with carbon coating on the plates and glass.   It's impossible to know one way or the other, but I do see where someone with a good background in tubes could come to that conclusion.     THe thread back to the Klipsch forum is well worth reading.   I do really like the sound from the Black Treasures.  Having said that. the Penta KT88SC as it continues to break in is improving, and now has me questioning if the Black Treasurers are much of a improvement over the Pentas (at least with the M88).   

One item worth noting is that Shuguang bought the old GEC KT88 tooling, and uses that to make the KT88SC (which is the closest copy of the original KT88, regardless of marketing hype or dodgy re-labeling to confuse the general public). 

Faust3D

« Reply #56 on: 22 Sep 2011, 09:18 pm »
I had a bit more listening time with SED and Penta Labs KT88. I ended up liking SEDs more, so I pulled Penta Labs KT88s put back SEDs.

I feel they are more dynamic, precise and clean sounding without the softness that Pentas have. Original VAC tubes are similar to Penta Labs but a bit less interesting, and EH KT88 are overall nice but not in anyway better than Pentas and SEDs. I am waiting for NOS Ei KT90 tubes, I heard good things about them in my amp.

Freo-1

« Reply #57 on: 22 Sep 2011, 09:38 pm »
I had a bit more listening time with SED and Penta Labs KT88. I ended up liking SEDs more, so I pulled Penta Labs KT88s put back SEDs.

I feel they are more dynamic, precise and clean sounding without the softness that Pentas have. Original VAC tubes are similar to Penta Labs but a bit less interesting, and EH KT88 are overall nice but not in anyway better than Pentas and SEDs. I am waiting for NOS Ei KT90 tubes, I heard good things about them in my amp.

Fair enough.  Each system is different, so it's impossible to state with any certainty how set of tubes with system A compare to system B.  There are way too many variables to take into account.   I'm sure that the SED would sound different in my current amp vs. how it sounded in my previous amp.

My concern with SED tubes right now is spotty availability with increasing questions of reliability.    The most recent SED 6550 has spiked up n price, and some of the dealers are reporting quality control issues.

Keoma

« Reply #58 on: 22 Sep 2011, 09:50 pm »
In the case of my Prima Luna DiaLogue One (which actually comes with EL-34's from the factory but accepts other types with no issues at all), I have experienced a dramatic improvement by switching to Gold Lion's. The results in my set-up were a bigger, wider soundstage, tighter and more articulate bass, a little bit more air, and better focus overall.

Faust3D

« Reply #59 on: 23 Sep 2011, 02:43 am »
Fair enough.  Each system is different, so it's impossible to state with any certainty how set of tubes with system A compare to system B.  There are way too many variables to take into account.   I'm sure that the SED would sound different in my current amp vs. how it sounded in my previous amp.

Yeah, it's uncanny how the same tubes can sound different in different amps.

My concern with SED tubes right now is spotty availability with increasing questions of reliability.    The most recent SED 6550 has spiked up n price, and some of the dealers are reporting quality control issues.

:( Sounds bad. I hope SED cleans up their act. I have 2 old quads from 1999 form Upscale Audio, pre winged C logo becoming the only one they use, so my boxes have =C= and the big S logo. Very good sounding tubes