What amp for Legacy Focus SE speakers?

diofan56

Re: What amp for Legacy Focus SE speakers?
« Reply #20 on: 21 Sep 2011, 02:40 am »
Hey there Admin!

Did you delete a reply to this thread?  Someone was mentioning an article about class D amps.  It is not there any more.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

modular747

« Reply #21 on: 21 Sep 2011, 02:33 pm »
Why would you expect a post about pos class D amps in a Van Alstine forum NOT to be deleted?

diofan56

« Reply #22 on: 22 Sep 2011, 11:34 pm »
Hey there Mod!

I suppose you have a point there.  When that post appeared I replied and basically said what does that have to do with this thread.  I wasn't trying to be ornery or anything.  I just asked the question.  Maybe the poster thought that the new Modwright integrated was a class D / chip amp.  Not so.

dflee

« Reply #23 on: 23 Sep 2011, 09:21 pm »
diofan56
Checked with Legacy about my speakers specifically and was told that the Classics run a 4 ohm woofer and the mid-tweeter section has a 5.7 ohm load when not joined by the jumper. You might check with them about yours. I vertically bi-amp and can't say it changed in volume any from my jumper days but that is in my system with my amp. Different amps may do different things so you might check with Frank or others as to how their products would mesh.
Let us know when you get everything put together sound wise.

Later
Don

SeagoatLeo

« Reply #24 on: 6 Feb 2013, 02:41 am »
I have the original Legacy Focus and Signature III speakers.  The Focus are being driven with a 130 watt each voltage regulated pair of tube amps.  This is overkill actually.  They previously were paired with an EAR 890 which has 70 watts and played quite dynamically if not quite as open or accurate in the bass (problem of auto biased amps).  On the Signature IIIs, I use a modified Dynaco Stereo 70.  It is only 30 watts but very powerful for the speaker.  The bass is deep and dynamic.  My mod is designed to bring greater dynamics, especially in the bass to this amp.  These speakers do not require huge amounts of tube power, just clean, regulated power supplied amps with adequate current capabilities.