Alpair 7.3 plus helper

chrisby

Re: Alpair 7.3 plus helper
« Reply #20 on: 26 Mar 2012, 10:18 pm »
I changed which driver I was going to use a lot. I ended going with the Anarchy  because I had two in some tapped horns I did not mind trashing.

smoke 'em if you got 'em I say - that'd be in alignment with a frugophile approach

sts9fan

« Reply #21 on: 30 Mar 2012, 12:10 am »
Now just waiting for my MiniDSP to show up. 

sts9fan

« Reply #22 on: 8 Apr 2012, 02:34 pm »
Here they are up and running.  I am startiing out with a 300hz 48db LR.  They sound pretty good but still need to measure.  The amp I am using on the A7 has a volume control so I am matching by ear for starters.  I am in no way saying this is optimal.  Just a beginning/opening.

JohnR

« Reply #23 on: 10 Apr 2012, 12:22 pm »
Sorry, yes, for line (analog) input there is a jumper on current boards to switch to 2v max input. (Older boards don't have this option.) However the line out is still limited to 0.9V rms. So if it's driving a power amp that needs a higher voltage than that to get to full power, then output will be limited to less than full power.

It's not necessarily an issue, just something to understand / be aware of.

sts9fan

« Reply #24 on: 10 Apr 2012, 12:27 pm »
It's funny, had not really blasted this until just now. I am still getting distortion at high volumes/input voltage. That's frustrating.  :(
I think I need amps with higher input sensitivity. Or a clue why when my pre should only be outputting 2V max is the mini clipping. Or just a clue.

sts9fan

« Reply #25 on: 10 Apr 2012, 10:57 pm »
Ok, I got amps with more gain attached and am having no distortion issues.  Here are my initial adjustments.  By ear I had the woofer a little low.  These traces are woofer, FR, both, both FR -13db.  I took these measurements ~1M at a height of 40 inches.  Why? Cuz...
I will take measurements from the listening position and do some more fiddling.

sts9fan

« Reply #26 on: 12 Apr 2012, 08:23 pm »

I am pretty happy where I am after a bit of work today.  The interface between REW and the miniDSP is a dream.  Biquad filters? Check!

ejfud

« Reply #27 on: 13 Apr 2012, 03:09 am »
Nicely done.

Would it make a difference flipping on or both of the cabinets and getting the drivers closer together? :scratch:

stereocilia

« Reply #28 on: 13 Apr 2012, 04:08 am »
I got to hear these briefly before the Anarchy woofers were in and before the DSP was tweaked.  Very impressive; apparently I need to hear them again.  It looks like you have the scaling corrected, too (a couple posts back the peaks were 135+ -- that ain't right).

sts9fan

« Reply #29 on: 13 Apr 2012, 11:59 am »
Flipping the cabs is on the list of tweaks to try. I think I may want the FR flipped. TBD.

strider

« Reply #30 on: 14 Apr 2012, 06:53 pm »
Did you have REW create the biquad, or did you do it manually?

sts9fan

« Reply #31 on: 14 Apr 2012, 07:54 pm »
I had REW calculate them based on a measurement. I think I could drop the woofers one or two db and the filters may be less. I will try it eventually. I am in listening mode right now.

sts9fan

« Reply #32 on: 26 Apr 2012, 08:09 pm »
To update this thread I have flipped the cabs so the drivers are closer together.
I am using a Quicksilver GLA on the A7s and a Parasound HCA1000A on the woofs.
These things sound friggin fantastic. I think the A7 has a lot to do with it but these Exodus woofers are pretty sweet also.
At first "flat" sounded a bit weird but now it really opening up new aspects of the music.

ejfud

« Reply #33 on: 26 Apr 2012, 08:26 pm »
You're making me really want to buy a miniDSP.

Thanks for the update.

chrisby

« Reply #34 on: 26 Apr 2012, 09:08 pm »
You're making me really want to buy a miniDSP.

Thanks for the update.

an observation from my last visit to DaveD's place;  for users of ChannelD's PureMusic or  PureVinyl, there is a built in 64bit 2/3/4/ XO - of course that requires a USB/FW DAC with more than 2 channels out, but even those needn't be particularly expensive these days  ( Edirol /Cakewalk et al ), and I guess it would only function from files in the iTunes library     

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #35 on: 26 Apr 2012, 09:34 pm »
... and I guess it would only function from files in the iTunes library   

PM/PV have a Playthrough option that allows playing other computer sources.... now i just need to figure out getting the PVR output into the PowerMac.

dave

sts9fan

« Reply #36 on: 26 Apr 2012, 09:48 pm »
The miniDSP is cheap and easy also I like it because you don't have to have USB as a source.  I like that I flash the chip and then I am free of the computer.  $140 shipped with the plug-in is a no brainer.  As of right now, using a computer as a crossover is not an attractive thing to me. Honestly I think those companies wish they had the hardware.  Having the user friendly software that can easily flash a component is ideal. YMMV

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #37 on: 26 Apr 2012, 09:54 pm »
The cheap miniDSP is only 48k. Not suffiicent for my needs, the 96k (still limiting) is much pricier.

dave

sts9fan

« Reply #38 on: 26 Apr 2012, 10:02 pm »
Good thing for me I don't have your needs.  8)
It's working fantastic for me. 

sts9fan

« Reply #39 on: 26 Apr 2012, 11:32 pm »
Obviously I would prefer not to have the extra AD/DA but am not sure what my choices are. I guess I could try one of those FirstWatt crossovers but then I loose the room correction. Does the miniDIGI do the same thing just digi in digi out?
Then I would need two DACs which is fine but I would be SOL with my vinyl.
Honestly I am not gonna stress about it but you can see where a nice passive crossover can be nice.  :lol: