BDA-3 DAC

Lwxian

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #1300 on: 21 Jun 2020, 12:29 am »
Thanks @marcosax! It works! Amazing! You can actually edit the names!

The Rang

« Reply #1301 on: 21 Jun 2020, 04:36 pm »
If my DAC bought in 2018 has no apparent issues, is there any to need to change the firmware?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1302 on: 21 Jun 2020, 05:28 pm »
If my DAC bought in 2018 has no apparent issues, is there any to need to change the firmware?

Hi Rang

No stay with the current software on your unit.

james

GSchrader

« Reply #1303 on: 25 Jun 2020, 01:10 am »
James, I have a question for Bryston in regards to the new volume control implemented in the latest BDA-4 firmware.  As I have too much gain in my whole system, I need a reduction in gain somewhere in the system so as to be able to run my preamp volume control at a reasonable level above the minimum setting.  Currently I am doing this by using a -10 dB reduction in my Nucleus music server via the Roon Headroom Adjustment feature.  It floats the signal from 16 bits to 64 bits, applies the gain reduction, and then floats it back down to 32 bits before sending it to the BDA-3.

Now that I have the option to reduce gain in the BDA-3 directly via its volume control, which method do you think would be less damaging to the sound quality - the Roon method, or by using the volume control in the BDA-3?  I have no idea how the volume control in the BDA-3 is implemented, but I would assume it's digital?

Gerald   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1304 on: 25 Jun 2020, 10:29 am »
James, I have a question for Bryston in regards to the new volume control implemented in the latest BDA-4 firmware.  As I have too much gain in my whole system, I need a reduction in gain somewhere in the system so as to be able to run my preamp volume control at a reasonable level above the minimum setting.  Currently I am doing this by using a -10 dB reduction in my Nucleus music server via the Roon Headroom Adjustment feature.  It floats the signal from 16 bits to 64 bits, applies the gain reduction, and then floats it back down to 32 bits before sending it to the BDA-3.

Now that I have the option to reduce gain in the BDA-3 directly via its volume control, which method do you think would be less damaging to the sound quality - the Roon method, or by using the volume control in the BDA-3?  I have no idea how the volume control in the BDA-3 is implemented, but I would assume it's digital?

Gerald   

Hi Gerald,

Not sure myself - let me check with engineering.

james

Pundamilia

« Reply #1305 on: 25 Jun 2020, 01:19 pm »
With the new BDA-3 interface, is it possible now to change the IP address using Terminal mode. In looking at the Help/Remote Communication Commands screen, I see the command:

%2330IPADQS.

will display the current IP address of the BDA-3. I would like to hardcode the IP address to be a particular value. Previously, it had to be done through a RS-232 connection. Can it now be done through Terminal?

Thanks.

marcosax

« Reply #1306 on: 25 Jun 2020, 08:53 pm »
Hi Gerald,

Not sure myself - let me check with engineering.

James

Looking forward to any update on this topic, as I too am interested in lowering the BDA-3 output.
I tried by lowering the volume bar in the web GUI introduced with the 2020 firmware, but it resulted in a very unreliable setting, also overridden simply by pressing the Upsampling button on the front of BDA-3, with dangerous (for speakers and ears) and unpleasant sudden boost of volume.
This was one of the reasons I downgraded to 2018.05d, which in my experience is a much solid performer.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1307 on: 25 Jun 2020, 09:33 pm »
With the new BDA-3 interface, is it possible now to change the IP address using Terminal mode. In looking at the Help/Remote Communication Commands screen, I see the command:

%2330IPADQS.

will display the current IP address of the BDA-3. I would like to hardcode the IP address to be a particular value. Previously, it had to be done through a RS-232 connection. Can it now be done through Terminal?

Thanks.

It is possible, there are a couple of commands you can enter to allow it (I'll PM you them once a I get access to a BDA-3), but otherwise I would suggest setting up IP Address reservation on your router instead.  The benefit being its all lot easier to talk to the BDA if you change the router, the ip scheme on the existing router, sell the unit or the unit otherwise ends up on a different network.

Chris

bokko

• My Photography
« Reply #1308 on: 26 Jun 2020, 05:32 pm »
It is also good networking practice to reserve IP addresses in router.
If not reserving the IP in router, the IP you give it has to be outside the range of IP addresses your DHCP server (in router) provides. Otherwise there could be a conflict and then two devices won't work or potentially the entire network stops depending on router.

If you insist on giving BDA-3 a dedicated IP address then you need to ensure your DHCP server does not give out that address.

So you could assign 192.168.1.100 - 192-168.1.200 to dhcp server (the 1 after 168 can be any number between 1-253)
Then assign one static address between 192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.99 in the BDA-3.

Good place to start would be the name and model of your router and "how do I reserve IP address" in a google search. Much easier I think.

Bryston tries to make this easy by reserving the name http://my.bryston.com to its ipaddress but this depends on how often the router updates the name to the IP address the BDA-3 has been provided. Which will also improve if you use the reserve IP address for the BDA-3.
I'll get my BDA-3 tomorrow so might add once I get hands on experience.

If your router is under warranty many companies would provide this support through email or phone.

Pundamilia

« Reply #1309 on: 27 Jun 2020, 03:30 am »
Thanks, Chris and Book.

For other reasons, I reset my router to Factory Defaults today and reserved an IP address for the BDA-3 before turning it on and it worked like a charm.