BMW 3.0I Z3

bogiedr

BMW 3.0I Z3
« on: 27 Jul 2011, 12:52 am »
Hello everyone! Talk to me about a Z3 3.0I, recently picked one up and it is a blast and then some. Anyone here with experience with this beast? It certainly turned out to be more car than I expected ... stereo sucks but easily remedied  :D what do you kids think of this car?
Thanks and hit them straight!!
BogieDr  8)

John151

Re: BMW 3.0I Z3
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2011, 01:22 am »
Great engine, love it/hate it styling (I love it), mediocre handling (for a car of this type, you will notice that no one races these).  Co-worker has a '99 Z3 M and it has been very reliable, although it drinks oil (expensive if you use the BMW brand).

A few known issues:

1)  Problem with rear sub-frame welds breaking (or something like that).
2)  Heads cracking (local engine builder showed me several that he has in for repair).  This affects all BMW models, not just the Z.
3)  Top leaks near the A-Frame.  There is an easy fix, however. 

Otherwise, I believe they are very reliable.  Take care of yours and you should have no problems.   

I would have no issue purchasing one.  In fact, I almost did but it had an issue with the rear sub-frame. 

Got pics?

viggen

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2011, 02:21 am »
Got a 2003 Z4 3.0.  I think our cars have the same engine.  Basically been problem free during the 5 years I've owned it.  Suspension was making some noise but no engine or electrical issue.

Love everything about the car.  The 1 series coupe is temping though.

bogiedr

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2012, 10:56 pm »
Here it is! Sorry it took so long!! Had not been here in a while. It has been the perfect weekend car, love it!!  8)

Crimson

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2012, 11:42 pm »
Very nice! Had a Z4M with an e92 M3 (same engine). The Z was funner.