Thinking about a classic car

mcgsxr

Thinking about a classic car
« on: 25 Jul 2011, 12:34 pm »
Sure, like I need another $ vacuum hobby!

My wife's Dad used to restore Mustangs and T-Birds, so she is used to the idea that a man might want a 3rd car for summer use etc.  Plus, I used to build and ride motorcycles (had 32 over a 10 year period), so I need something to fill that gap, and since my best friend had a very bad bike accident 10 years ago, and with my 2 little girls in the picture, bikes are out for me.

I am looking for a driver, not a high quality restoration or trailer queen.

I believe I have see pics of other folk's toys around, any advice for a guy looking for a 5-10K driver?

Considering:

late 60's Mustang
mid to late 60's T-Bird
mid 60's Ford Galaxie convertible
early 70's Cutlass

Are there AC like forums for broad spectrum of classics?  ie not just 67 Mustang or 69 Galaxie etc.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Thinking about a classic car
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2011, 03:39 pm »
Hey Mark,
Hemmings.com has a forum. I've never looked at the forum area, but stalk the for sale section from time to time to look at the pretty pictures and dream.   :lol:

Bob

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2011, 04:43 pm »
I suggest going to a few car shows. You'll be able zero in on the model and find cars for sale.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2011, 05:21 pm »
Good advice so far.  I attend a weekly gathering at a mall nearby, but most of those are not for sale it would seem, and very few 65-68 Galaxie's there.

That is my preferred choice, having seen a bunch over the past 6 months.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:24 pm »
Good advice so far.  I attend a weekly gathering at a mall nearby, but most of those are not for sale it would seem, and very few 65-68 Galaxie's there.

That is my preferred choice, having seen a bunch over the past 6 months.
I did a quick google search for Galaxies Mark, and found this; http://www.ford-forums.com/ford-galaxie/
You have to be a member to see any of it, but I thought it might interest you since you specifically called out the Galaxie model.

Also, if you ever find yourself near St. louis, I'll take you here; www.gatewayclassiccars.com  :eyebrows:

Bob .

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:25 pm »
I did a quick google search for Galaxies Mark, and found this; http://www.ford-forums.com/ford-galaxie/
You have to be a member to see any of it, but I thought it might interest you since you specifically called out the Galaxie model.

Also, if you ever find yourself near St. louis, I'll take you here; www.gatewayclassiccars.com  :eyebrows:

Bob .

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:25 pm »
 :dunno:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:26 pm »
What the hell?

MaxCast

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:26 pm »
test

srb

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:27 pm »
Bob, what are you trying to say?   ;)

Steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:28 pm »
So I can only post if it's in a quote?
Ok fine.....here's the post I was trying to make........Jesus I hate computers.  :roll:

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:29 pm »
Ok fine.....here's the post I was trying to make........Jesus I hate computers.  :roll:

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:30 pm »
Just reinstalled Windows 7  :|

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:31 pm »

Bob

MaxCast

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:31 pm »
this threads layout is looking a bit weird.

MaxCast

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:32 pm »
Bob broke it.  I'm telling.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:32 pm »
Apparently I can only type three lines at a time, and then only when they're quoted?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:32 pm »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:33 pm »

srb

« Reply #19 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:33 pm »
Bob, if you're using Internet Explorer try the Compatability Mode button on the right side of the address bar.  If that doesn't help, download Firefox and try that until you can figure out what's going on.

Hope everything else in the OS is working!

Steve