Anybody own a BWM 335i or Audi A5 convertible

Levi

Re: Anybody own a BWM 335i or Audi A5 convertible
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jul 2011, 09:32 pm »
I am sold on the 335i with sports package.  There has to be a better solution for the run flat tires. Once you run them flat, you have to buy a replacement tire(s).

jackman

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jul 2011, 09:45 pm »
I am sold on the 335i with sports package.  There has to be a better solution for the run flat tires. Once you run them flat, you have to buy a replacement tire(s).

I'm not a fan of run flat tires but they work well in a car chase (I imagine) because you can drive over those spike strips the police lay across the road.  Just sayin... :wink:

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #22 on: 25 Jul 2011, 10:09 pm »

There is -- just get conventional high-performance tires, and either carry a compact spare or fix-a-flat.  The conventional tires have it all over the runflats, especially the OEM Brickstones.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #23 on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:16 am »
Well I have over 90,000 trouble free miles on mly 2002 Audi S6 Avant now and see no reason to even think about another car.  Its way faster than I am and is amazing on my annual 1000 mile non stop (execpt for gas and grub) day drive to Denver for RMAF with a load of equipment.

Police ignore it (just another mid size station wagon to them).  Comfortable, quick, and secure, and built like a tank (zero significant repairs). Worst problem, defective rear windshield washer. Free Audi loaner cars when in for routine maintance, and the dealer always gets things right the first time.

Frank Van Alstine

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #24 on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:33 am »
I just put down a deposit for a fully loaded 335i xDrive sedan in Vermillion Red metallic with black oyster leather interior. This was the car that made sense (more so than the convertible) and I was able to secure a very favorable deal.

This isn't my actual car, but it is the right color:

I should hopefully have it by the end of the week.

George

Levi

« Reply #25 on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:36 am »
Hmmm...

I'm not a fan of run flat tires but they work well in a car chase (I imagine) because you can drive over those spike strips the police lay across the road.  Just sayin... :wink:

That is a plausible idea.  Compact spare that hopefully will clear the brakes.  Fix-a-flat and an air compressor would probably the better one.  The 3-series are not great in space let alone a spare tire.

There is -- just get conventional high-performance tires, and either carry a compact spare or fix-a-flat.  The conventional tires have it all over the runflats, especially the OEM Brickstones.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:38 am »
Well I have over 90,000 trouble free miles on mly 2002 Audi S6 Avant now and see no reason to even think about another car.  Its way faster than I am and is amazing on my annual 1000 mile non stop (execpt for gas and grub) day drive to Denver for RMAF with a load of equipment.

Police ignore it (just another mid size station wagon to them).  Comfortable, quick, and secure, and built like a tank (zero significant repairs). Worst problem, defective rear windshield washer. Free Audi loaner cars when in for routine maintance, and the dealer always gets things right the first time.

Frank Van Alstine

Frank,

That's great that you have had an issue free experience with your S6 Avant.  My deep blue S4 Avant was also a "stealth mobile" and I loved seeing the looks on people's faces when they got smoked by a wagon!   :lol:

While I loved that 2001 S4 Avant, it was in the shop 6 or 7 times over a 3 year span.  Way too frequently for my tastes for a new car.  That being said, I could have happily lived with a S4, S5, or S6.  However, I think I made the right choice on going with the 335i and I am looking forward to getting it.

George

jackman

« Reply #27 on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:43 am »
Cool car! I am admittedly biased but I think you made the right choice. That car handles well and hauls ass.  Can't wait to see a picture of the real thing.

J

TomS

« Reply #28 on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:48 am »
I just put down a deposit for a fully loaded 335i xDrive sedan in Vermillion Red metallic with black oyster leather interior. This was the car that made sense (more so than the convertible) and I was able to secure a very favorable deal.

I should hopefully have it by the end of the week.

George
Sweet ride. You have chosen very wisely my friend  :wink:

While the A5/S5 is the only body style I like as well or better than the E39 BMW, I'd still prefer to drive the 335i daily. Go for the snows in the winter too and you'll be a happy camper.

pjchappy

« Reply #29 on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:56 am »
 :thumb:

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #30 on: 26 Jul 2011, 01:01 am »
Hmmm...

That is a plausible idea.  Compact spare that hopefully will clear the brakes.  Fix-a-flat and an air compressor would probably the better one.  The 3-series are not great in space let alone a spare tire.

If you plan on getting rid of the runflats (and it's not a lease), see if the dealer will just swap in whatever conventional tires you want at delivery, rather than get a set of runflats you just have to sell.  If you are leasing, you have to turn it in with OEM tires, so you'd probably want to store the bricks unitl lease-end time.

Bavarian Auto (among others) sells a compact spare kit that fits the 335i -- I got mine there.  The jack and tools fit under the trunk mat in wells designed for them (it comes with the OEM tire tool kit and jack), and you can turn the donut over so the well is up and store your spare oil, gloves, compressor, and what-not in the wheel well.  You really don't lose all that much space.  I can still get a standard size rollaboard suitcase on top of the spare in my trunk.  Check them out at www.bavauto.com

For snows, the standard recommendation is downsize one size on wheel diameter and increase the tire profile a corresponding amount -- gives you better ability to dig through in the winter with the smaller tires.  Tire Rack has a whole section on winter tires on their web site.

Congratulations, and hope you don't become a ticket magnet with that fire engine red car!

Regards,

Bob

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 26 Jul 2011, 01:08 am »
I am doing a lease, so I have to think about my options for non-winter tires.  I will live with the run flats through the fall and decide what to do in the Spring.  What you described for snows is exactly what I did with my S4.  Smaller steel wheels + blizzaks = kick ass handling in the snow.

Will need to think about the compact spare kit - thanks for the recommendation.

I wouldn't call the color fire engine red.  It is more muted in person.

George

Philistine

« Reply #32 on: 26 Jul 2011, 05:04 pm »
I have a 2006 325xi with run flats.

The OEM's were Bridgestones and gave a terrible ride, these got replaced under warranty and replaced with Continental run flats - much better tires.  This summer it was time to replace the Continentals and I did a fair amount of research on line and also talked to a friend who works at the local BMW dealership.  Based on this I decided to stick with run flats, the overriding factor being safety and allegedly BMW have tuned their suspensions to counteract the stiffer sidewalls of run flats (this is what they claim and I have no way of verifying this).  The day before I was due to get the new tires I had a tire 'fail' at about 70mph, the only warning I had was a bump as I ran over something on the road and the dashboard warning light - totally without drama.     

Before the 'incident' I'd decided to stick with run flats, I'm sure you can get better performance at lower costs from regular tires but, for me, the safety benefits are just to significant to ignore.

lcrim

« Reply #33 on: 26 Jul 2011, 06:43 pm »
I have a 325i from fall of 2005, the first of the present body style and I love the car. 
Sorry to rain on your parade but the best thing to happen to the car was replacing the runflats w/ Michelin Primacy MXV-4.(non-runflats)
The handling, ride, braking even the mileage improved greatly.  The complaints about those Bridgestones w/ concrete sidewalls are loud and angry, a terrible damn tire. 
My car is rear wheel drive and since I bought it in September of 2005, the 4 wheel drive cars weren't available yet.  My A4 had been demolished and I needed a car.  I've since driven the X models and frankly found them  out of balance.  My A4 was a quattro and while I never A-B compared the X to the quattro, I always felt it was lighter and more spritely handling car.
I would probably have advised the Audi model line w/ the quattro and a turbo.  Just my opinion.
Larry

ltr317

« Reply #34 on: 26 Jul 2011, 07:51 pm »

Go buy one, so I can "test" drive it.  :lol: :lol:

Levi

« Reply #35 on: 26 Jul 2011, 08:43 pm »
No problem Paul.  Just waiting the maturity.  :wink:  I am putting an order for next year 2012. Hopefully Sooner.

Go buy one, so I can "test" drive it.  :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2011, 01:40 am by Levi »

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 26 Jul 2011, 09:43 pm »
Looking like a Thursday afternoon pickup.   :hyper: :hyper:

George

Big Red Machine

« Reply #37 on: 27 Jul 2011, 12:13 am »
George, a classy choice for a classy guy.  Enjoy your new ride.  You deserve it!!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: 27 Jul 2011, 12:17 am »
You need real snow tires on all 4 wheels, either with a RWD or AWD vehicle to do much in snow.  Bet you still had the summer tires on...the stock tires are worthless in slippery conditions.  Put on 4 snows and you would be amazed at the difference!

:lol:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 27 Jul 2011, 12:21 am »
George, a classy choice for a classy guy.  Enjoy your new ride.  You deserve it!!

Thanks Pete.

George