Anybody own a BWM 335i or Audi A5 convertible

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Anybody own a BWM 335i or Audi A5 convertible
« on: 23 Jul 2011, 11:25 pm »
Looking for your real world experience...

Thanks,

George

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
Re: Anybody own a BWM 335i or Audi A5 convertible
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2011, 12:03 am »
We have a '08 BMW 335i sedan.  Nice car, but they have a history of problems with the fuel system, notoriously including the high pressure fuel pump and injectors.  Finally a recall was issued, but they still fail randomly, even after new pumps and injectors.  Estimates are that about 30-40% of them will eventually see the pump failure.

For all the gory details, see the two long sticky threads at the top of this forum:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

We've gone through one pump so far at 44K miles.  I do have to say, the modern 3-series are bigger, less involving cars than the older ones.  We traded in our E36 M3 (a '97) on this car, and although the 335 is quite a bit faster, it's not as "tossable" and not as much fun.  Like most modern cars, everything is run by computer.  We also had a problem with the computer deciding to lower all the windows and open the sunroof, all on its own while the car was parked.  Fortunately, it happened to us in the garage -- others have not been so lucky...

I probably wouldn't buy another one, knowing what I know now.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2011, 12:37 pm »
I had a 335i and drove it for 50k on lease and it was great.  The only downside was with that many miles I was going through the run flat tires every 20k.  At nearly $1600 per set, it gets expensive.  Other then that, they're great cars. 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2011, 01:19 pm »
Thanks guys.

Will need to see if tires are covered under maintenance plan.  However, I don't think I will put on as many miles.

George

jbtrio

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2011, 02:26 pm »
You should really be comparing an Audi S5 to a BMW 335i. I have an 09 S5 and love it. IMHO the lines are nicer and the interior is much,much, better. BMW's are a little better track car, put street driving Audi is just as capable. In winter time Audi's quattro is excellent.

Also, BMW are a dime a dozen. Audi are a little more exclusive, put i am seeing a lot more recently.

Just my 2 cents.

Joe

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2011, 02:53 pm »
You should really be comparing an Audi S5 to a BMW 335i. I have an 09 S5 and love it. IMHO the lines are nicer and the interior is much,much, better. BMW's are a little better track car, put street driving Audi is just as capable. In winter time Audi's quattro is excellent.

Also, BMW are a dime a dozen. Audi are a little more exclusive, put i am seeing a lot more recently.

Just my 2 cents.

Joe

Joe,

Good point on the comparison comment.  If I was really doing apples to apples, it would be A5 vs. 328i.

The lines on the A5 are very appealing and the car drove well.  But it didn't drive like the BMW.  ;-)

Maybe I will go back and drive the S5.  BTW, I used to own a S4 Avant, so I am familiar with how the quattro does in the winter time.

George

I have owned a S4 in the past, so

jbtrio

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2011, 03:38 pm »
George,

If you test drive the S5 make sure you put it in dynamic mode. Car feels much more lively that way. The older S4 had more weight on the front axles. The  newer ones have the engine set back a little farther to give it a more balanced ride.

BMW's do have great steering feel, don't they. Porsche are even better :wink:

Good Luck, can't go wrong with either one!

Joe

jaywills

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2011, 05:13 pm »
If you're talking about the convertible model of each, perhaps you will find this to be useful:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/convertibles/112_1005_luxury_convertible_comparison/index.html

Good luck.  Cordially,

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2011, 05:21 pm »
If you're talking about the convertible model of each, perhaps you will find this to be useful:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/convertibles/112_1005_luxury_convertible_comparison/index.html

Good luck.  Cordially,

Thanks.  Already read it.   :green:

Having driven both cars in the last 24 hours, I think the article is pretty much spot on.

George

Chromisdesigns

• Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jul 2011, 06:00 pm »
I had a 335i and drove it for 50k on lease and it was great.  The only downside was with that many miles I was going through the run flat tires every 20k.  At nearly $1600 per set, it gets expensive.  Other then that, they're great cars.

Many, many people (us included) replaced those horrible runflats with conventional tires to great benefit -- better mileage, less noise, MUCH better ride, and the conventional tires don't hop like demented bunnies on meth when you hit road irregularities in a turn!

Oh, and they are much cheaper, as well!

Chromisdesigns

• Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jul 2011, 06:04 pm »
Thanks guys.

Will need to see if tires are covered under maintenance plan.  However, I don't think I will put on as many miles.

George

They are not, at least on BMW.  I'd be surprised if anyone covered tires on factory maintenance.  One thing, if you do get runflats, and intend to keep them (a mistake, IMHO), DEFINITELY get the tire and wheel insurance -- you are going to need it if you drive anywhere except smooth, flat pavement.  In San Francisco, I thought I was going to slam the fillings out of my teeth until I replaced those bricks!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jul 2011, 03:39 pm »
Thanks guys.

George

Not covered.

It's very hard to compare any of the Audi's to a BMW.  Comparing an all wheel drive car or front wheel drive to a rear wheel drive car is apples to oranges.  If your going to stay in the N.E. and deal with the long miserable winters an all wheel drive vehicle might be best.  I can tell you that the 335i is useless in the snow.  I barely went up my driveway that has a very slight incline. 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 25 Jul 2011, 03:54 pm »
Not covered.

It's very hard to compare any of the Audi's to a BMW.  Comparing an all wheel drive car or front wheel drive to a rear wheel drive car is apples to oranges.  If your going to stay in the N.E. and deal with the long miserable winters an all wheel drive vehicle might be best.  I can tell you that the 335i is useless in the snow.  I barely went up my driveway that has a very slight incline.

Jason,

I know it isn't an apples to apples comparison (on many levels).  That's what makes this more challenging.

If I was being more practical (and I still might go in that direction), I would throw out the idea of getting a convertible.  If I do that, then it would be the 335ix (all wheel drive) vs. the Audi.

George

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jul 2011, 03:56 pm »
Jason,

I kow it isn't an apples to apples comparison (on many levels).  That's what makes this more challenging.

If I was being more practical (and I still might go in that direction), I would throw out the idea of getting a convertible.  If I do that, then it would be the 335ix (all wheel drive) vs. the Audi.

George

How about the best of both...Carrera C4 Cab

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 25 Jul 2011, 04:18 pm »
How about the best of both...Carrera C4 Cab

Probably a little out of my price range. 

George

Chromisdesigns

• Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #15 on: 25 Jul 2011, 06:13 pm »
Not covered.

You need real snow tires on all 4 wheels, either with a RWD or AWD vehicle to do much in snow.  Bet you still had the summer tires on...the stock tires are worthless in slippery conditions.  Put on 4 snows and you would be amazed at the difference!

I used to live in DC and work in Annapolis at a job where I had to be there from Jan through April,  no matter what the weather.  With 4 good snow tires, we drove back and forth in our M3 for 8 years, snow, ice, whatever.  Only got stuck in Annapolis a few times, when RT 50 was closed by the state police.  Never had a problem on the road.

I still laugh at the 4wd crowd who think that because they have 4wd and a big truck, they can do 60 mph on snow and ice...we passed them regularly spun out in the ditch.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 25 Jul 2011, 08:08 pm »
You need real snow tires on all 4 wheels, either with a RWD or AWD vehicle to do much in snow.  Bet you still had the summer tires on...the stock tires are worthless in slippery conditions.  Put on 4 snows and you would be amazed at the difference!

I used to live in DC and work in Annapolis at a job where I had to be there from Jan through April,  no matter what the weather.  With 4 good snow tires, we drove back and forth in our M3 for 8 years, snow, ice, whatever.  Only got stuck in Annapolis a few times, when RT 50 was closed by the state police.  Never had a problem on the road.

I still laugh at the 4wd crowd who think that because they have 4wd and a big truck, they can do 60 mph on snow and ice...we passed them regularly spun out in the ditch.

Summer (high performance) tires on snow is very, very bad thing.   :nono:

I learned this the hard way when I first had my S4.  We got an early snow in October before I put the snows on the car handled like total crap.  All wheel drive does nothing when the tires can't grip!!  Once I put on some nice Blizzak snow tires, the S4 chewed up the ice and snow and was only limited by its low clearance.  I am totally confident in my ability to drive in the snow (especially with the right tires), but my wife is a different story...

George

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #17 on: 25 Jul 2011, 08:32 pm »
With the kind of money involved, I'd buy a used Subaru with blizzaks for winter and protect the nice car from all the various hazzards of driving in the snow on those really bad days.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 25 Jul 2011, 08:36 pm »
With the kind of money involved, I'd buy a used Subaru with blizzaks for winter and protect the nice car from all the various hazzards of driving in the snow on those really bad days.

Great suggestion, but I don't want a multiple car solution.

George

jackman

« Reply #19 on: 25 Jul 2011, 09:07 pm »
This is a tough one because both cars have some really distinct strenghs and weaknesses.  I keep going back and forth but it depends on what's more important to you.

A5 - Better looking car (Sexy!) and nicer interior, IMO.  The A5 is one of the coolest looking coupes on the road.  Also, Audi interiors are the best in the industry.  I think this is because they have to try harder to differentiate themselves from VW.  Best 4WD system in the business (IMO) for good winter driving (are you really going to drive this one in snowstorms?). Are you looking at the 200 hp version?  I'm not sure this is enough power to make this convertible fun.   

335i - Very nice styling (much better than previous generation).  Spartan interior (compared to the Audi) but very functional and high quality.  MUCH more powerful engine.  I also like the way BMW engines "feel" versus a comparable Audi engine.  The 335i with the turbo's is powerful and fun to drive.  Both cars handle well but I love BMW's predictability on everything but snow.  With snow tires, this car is acceptable (the Audi is much better in the snow).  I feel more comfortable at high speeds in a B'mer than an Audi and I've driven both at high speeds over 120mph.  The BMW feels more like a sports car than a non S Audi and is more fun to drive (except in snow!). 

Thankfully, they are different enough to allow you to pick a clear favorite if you drive them.  On paper, it's a tough choice and I like both cars a lot! 

Good luck,

J

PS - I only drove the A5 (non-c'vert) and the BMW 335 sedan.  I've been in the 330d series diesel and really love the engine.  Not sure if it's available in convertible in USA ...