New RM-9 owner with tube question

hoppy08520

New RM-9 owner with tube question
« on: 23 Jul 2011, 07:07 pm »
Hello, I've been using a refurbished RM-9 for a week now and love it. There's something magical about sitting in a dark room, with 12 glowing tubes, listening to Ella Fitzgerald singing right in front of you. I didn't even have the volume up that high, but I've never heard such a realistic musical recreation as I did last night listening to Ella singing the Irving Berlin songbook.

Roger Modjeski himself refurbished it (it was not stored in optimal conditions before I bought it) and also upgraded the power supply to Mk-II specs. 

First, I think it's awesome that a company president is still personally supporting an almost 25-year-old product. I wouldn't have bought the amp if not for that. Plus Roger answered quite a few questions from me and I appreciate it. Thank you very much Roger. 

I have a question for the community about tubes. The amp came with Siemens EL34 tubes from RAM Labs that Roger said were in good condition. I've read through some of the posts here that people like Genalex KT88 tubes in this amp. A set of 8 is not exactly cheap. Would you say it's worth it?  Is there much of a difference? As I wrote above, I'm happy with the amp just as it is, but one of the reasons I chose the RM-9 was the fact that you can use different power tubes. Interestingly, I also got a copy of the 1989 Stereophile review in which the reviewer raved about KT88s.

I'd also like to thank everyone for supporting this great Circle. I've read many of the posts here and they are a great resource. 

rbwalt

Re: New RM-9 owner with tube question
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2011, 10:46 pm »
hi. welcome to the music reference family. i had a rm9mk2 for 11 yrs. i had siemens nos el34's in the amp and they lasted for those 11 yrs. those tubes are roger's favorite. they are a fine sounding tube as you have found out. i have them in my rm9se. the 88's have a bigger bottom end but can sound a bit fizzy on the top end. allot depends on the speakers. i feel that the 34's are the best balanced tube. i would listen to them for sometime and then change  and see how they sound to your ears. the 34's i feel are going to be better in the mids and highs and very good in the bottom end. guess it all depends on one's preference and the music one listens to.

here is something you might try. put the amp on some brass cones( 3) and then on your amp stand. i have mine on walker valid points and pucks under that. really made a nice improvement. you can checkout mine under systems(r and then rbwalt).

good luck.

ps. a good power cord will do nice things but you have to cut the cord and put on a ec connector.

rob.

Roger A. Modjeski

Re: New RM-9 owner with tube question
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2011, 02:33 pm »
Thanks for the complimients on the RM-9 and service. This is a good place to ask questions of owners, especially now while I am working on some new products and organizing the lab. I haven't even unpacked the transformer winder yet.

The KT-88 tubes that the Dick Olsher raved about at Stereophile were Chinese KT-88 and we still have those very tubes. They are about half the price of the Genelex. I highly recommend them.