Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 Upgrade

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 Upgrade
« on: 20 Jul 2011, 01:23 am »
Does anyone have first hand experience with the SFL-2 upgrades from PartsConnexion?
One of my SFL-2s is getting kind of crotchety and I'm thinking of sending it off to Canada for an update but would like some owner input.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
Re: Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2011, 11:29 pm »
Nobody?
Oh well - the downstairs SFL-2 just took a minor dump on one channel and Chris at PartsConnexion was good enough to have his service tech send me a schematic.
I can't afford the upgrade but perhaps I can get it going again locally.
I would like to mention that PartsConnexion is a good company to deal with and a good source for tubes and parts, too.
They've always been really helpful and provided incredibly fast service.

mjalazard

« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2011, 03:06 pm »
Hello Steve,
I have had both my SFL-1 and SFP-1 recently upgraded by Chris at Parts Connextion.  You can see my pictures on page 5 of the Let's See Your Tubes thread.  I did have other work done as well, including a new power supply by Musical Concepts.  These are terrific products. 
Chris does a first-rate job.  It is worth getting the upgrade done!  If you consider the price of a competitive phono pre-amp, you can't go wrong. 
Mike

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 6 Sep 2011, 03:35 pm »
   The right people to send a SF component to. They really know these products. If you are in NYC area the only other person I would trust is S&G Custom Sound in Douglaston Queens.

charles
SMA

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 6 Sep 2011, 10:57 pm »
Thank you both.
I think that when I can finally swing a second turntable I'll check into Sonic Frontiers - this looks promising:

http://www.10audio.com/sf_phono1se.htm

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2011, 05:45 pm »
Happy day for me - the shop just cleaned everything possible and problem solved!
I was really bummed having to press an NAD integrated into preamp duty - it was interesting to hear the way NAD voiced their product but the novelty wore off after a little bit.
To celebrate, I think I'll do a little tube rolling while I have the cover off.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2011, 05:35 pm »
Crud, the problem resurfaces, back to the shop she goes.
It was fine for about a month and then one channel's output really drops off.  Agita.

jparkhur

« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2011, 05:42 pm »
Have had my SFL 1 sig, SFL 2 and SF 40 all upgraded oh and plus the SFD 1 mkii, loved them all and they did a great job, minus the freaking taxes back to the country...  fedex...uhhh...

JP

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2011, 12:06 am »
The shop could find nothing wrong with it, I got it back home and it now works perfectly.
Maybe it just needed to get out and about some.
If it does go in for upgrades I won't use FedEx, thanks for the heads up.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2011, 02:47 am »
The fellows at PartsConnexion have been very helpful and I'm now running NOS Bugle Boys in the rear four tubes, Russian military tubes (they had a Rocket Ship-like logo) in the front and it worked out really well.
Updated caps coming up next and I think I'll forget the preamp shopping. 

Correction: Bugle Boys in the V1 (rearmost) sockets, Russian Rocket Ships in the front 6 sockets is the winning combination.  Four Bugle Boys ended up with the dreaded bass bloat.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2011, 11:25 am by SteveFord »