Mini Maggies

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Mini Maggies
« on: 14 Jul 2011, 09:02 pm »
Looks like the wait will be over

The Mini Maggie was originally developed with 3.6 technology and the holdup was due to both filling backorders for the big ones and incorporating the latest advances.
This looks like it'll be a winner for them.

jparkhur

Re: Mini Maggies
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2011, 09:03 pm »
I need pictures....................yesterday.. ...

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2011, 09:04 pm »
That was quick - post modified!

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2011, 09:14 pm »
These things are going to be completely huge....I don't even have any use for them, yet I'm going to buy a set for sure  :thumb:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2011, 09:24 pm »
Those look like they'd be pretty sweet on my desk!  Any idea on pricing?

Bryan

jparkhur

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2011, 09:27 pm »
I have already made a place for them on top of my twin 12x2 subs...  can you say full range with sub lows.... I need them now.. I'll be driving to Roseville in 10 minutes, I hope some one is still in the shop...

Jon P

jparkhur

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2011, 09:30 pm »
I have already made a place for them on top of my twin 12x2 subs...  can you say full range with sub lows.... I need them now.. I'll be driving to Roseville in 10 minutes, I hope some one is still in the shop...

Jon P
Pricing appears to be inside the above ad.  but that includes subs...  i just want panels, no subs... pricing???

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2011, 10:19 pm »
I'll see what I can find out for you.
Now that you mention it, I have a desk. 

I'll paraphrase:
This is a package deal as the crossover point is way too high to integrate with a conventional (dynamic) subwoofer.  We tried and it wouldn't work.

So, it's a three piece system, panels not available seperately.
I suppose that you could always keep the panels and sell the woofer by itself but if Magnepan says that it won't work right without it, I'd believe it.
I have one of the Magnepan panel woofers here and it goes from 40-200Hz and I have not tried it with my SVS subwoofer yet.
I have to get off my butt and try the panel woofer with my MMGs but I'm pretty sure those Mini Maggie panels will just make that combination sound pretty shabby by comparison.
The cover of Jethro Tull's Aqualung springs to mind...
While I think of it, this Mini Maggie System is going to be in very short supply for a bit.

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2011, 11:30 pm »
I wonder if these little minis would be an upgrade to a CC3 for use as a dual center speaker? Magnepan is always touting a dual and tri center, so for those of us with 3.6s or 3.7s, i wonder if throwing some mini's in the middle would be preferable to a single center?  :scratch:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2011, 12:38 am »
I dunno - let me see if I can't get a professional opinion for you.
They're certainly going to open up a lot of possibilities.
I wonder how they stack up against the speakers in the thread that was just started the other day on desktop planars?  What's needed is a Desktop Planar Shoot Out - it would be kind of like midget wrestling.
At any rate, one thing that they keep stressing is that you can't expect them to replace the larger models. 
I guess that a few years back Wendell did a demo at a trade show with the speakers behind a curtain - everyone thought that they were the new 3.7s but it was just the Mini Maggies.
Ever since then he's been worrying that his demo was TOO effective and that people will expect them to replace the 1.7s or the 3.7s when they're simply too small to do so.  Small ones can only take so much power and move so much air.
Guess we'll see but the feeling I get is that if the room is too small for 1.7s you'd want these and if you can squeeze in 1.7s, you'd want to go that route.
I have not heard them so this is just semi-educated speculation on my part.
I just reread the ad and the price dropped since I first heard about them getting ready to go - good deal.

mr_bill

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jul 2011, 03:27 am »
1.  I can't find these on the website.

2.  Will their be stands for them so you don't have to set them on a desk?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 15 Jul 2011, 09:38 am »
For AJ Zepp's question:

No.  A center channel speaker must carry 60-80% of the load. The Mini Maggie is only for desk top or small rooms

For Mr Bill, they probably won't be on the site for a bit until they get them really underway.  These look like they have the oval bases similar to what the woofer has - they attach with two screws.  Anything else would probably have to be a DIY effort which shouldn't be too difficult.

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jul 2011, 05:33 pm »
Thanks for checking on that, Steve. I guess it's a good thing I'm one of the few who actually like the CC3 and how it integrates with my 3.6s lol

josh358

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jul 2011, 10:47 pm »
Just wanted to add that I read somewhere that the crossover is built in to the woofer, so it's definitely a package deal.

Also -- Wendell emailed to say that while he's delighted at the interest in the Mini Maggies, he's very concerned that some people are getting the wrong idea and could end up disappointed because they'd be using them in a situation for which they weren't designed -- using a stove when you need a refrigerator. He says that the Mini Maggies are primarily super desktop speakers, a way of bringing the sound of the big systems to the desktop, rather than tiny replacements for the 1.7 or 3.7, and until Magnepan knows more about how people intend to use them as satellite systems, they are urging caution. So for now anyway, he's suggesting that people buy them for desktop use. He also said he plans to answer some of the questions people have been asking on their website.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 3 Aug 2011, 10:50 pm »
Magnepan is thinking desktop but headphones are fine for me here in front of the PC.
I'm thinking bedroom with them either swinging down from the ceiling and aimed at the bed or pivoting up from the footboard and aimed at the headboard.
I have a question in to Wendell to see if having the woofer on the same plane as the panels would work or not.
You should come over and listen to my stereo, my dear... 8)

TitaniumTroy

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 31 Aug 2011, 10:45 pm »
It looks like production is about to get seriously underway:

We are getting the first reports from dealers on the Mini Maggie System. Here are some excerpts from Mark Ormiston, president of Definitive Audio in Seattle.

"I have it set up on my desk with a Peachtree Nova fed by my laptop. To say it is impressive would be the under statement of my career. Any performance clients that do any work at home or at the office while listening to ordinary "computer speakers" should have these on their desk. There is nothing else like it period. Reference sound on your desk for $1500. .......... This is THE cool product of the year and without question a must have for the performance enthusiast. So so cool.........

.............. Best new product for me since the Goldmund reference turntable when I was twenty four years old......

I would only use it as a desktop product. It does not have enough acoustic power for a full room and you miss the point of it being the ultimate near field monitor.............................It is a genius product that cannot be equaled by any dynamic cone driver."

I am sorry that we don't have enough Mini Maggies for everyone to get a demo set. Don't bother beating me up. Since the 1.7s, I have not been involved in shipping.

Wendell

josh358

« Reply #17 on: 31 Aug 2011, 10:58 pm »

Rclark

« Reply #18 on: 1 Sep 2011, 08:49 pm »
Those look cool. Too bad I'll probably never be able to spend $1500 on desktop-only speakers. I'd probably just rock headphones. Heck, they make planar headphones, if I understand correctly.

But any of you deep pocketed gentleman can sure buy some of these and post impressions!

Meanwhile, my MMG's will be here in a matter of hours.. Agonizing over how to arrange my room. I think I'll wait till they get here. I have no idea what to expect. Well, I do, but merely ideas at this point.

But, on subject, it would be neat to see a review with this against other planar and desktop speakers.

There are a lot of high end ones out there.

For the same price, Dynaudio has a satellite, subwoofer based desktop system that just looks delicious. And it's a real subwoofer that comes with that one.

Then there's tha $1000 desktop planar someone else posted in that other thread.

josh358

« Reply #19 on: 2 Sep 2011, 10:23 pm »
You'll love the MMG's. And they'll get a lot better as they break in.