Free demo for feedback, crossover parts quality comparison...

skeeter99

I got to spend more time with these two nights ago. I've got them set up through my Rotel CD player into my Onkyo 805 running pure direct (or whatever the no processing function is called) through the pre-outs to my Onix A-2150. I was running them full range to get the clearest idea of what could be accomplished and how the two crossovers compared.

Once again, all of my previous comments stand. The difference between the two crossovers is not subtle; I'm really quite surprised at the difference. I listened to the entire Steve Miller Greatest Hits (from 2003) CD and was actively switching back and forth after every track then listening again. Eventually I just stopped switching and listened to the music. OOPS!  :thumb:  Detail and imaging are FAR more precise. Bass is both deep and better controlled. Highs are especially more refined and much less apt to be screeching. Overall they sound fuller and more precise than the original crossover. It really turns these much much better speakers.

Scott

Danny Richie

Very good Scott. You get it, and now you know.  :D

skeeter99

Very good Scott. You get it, and now you know.  :D

I do, I'll never think twice again about spending more money on crossover components  :nono:

Danny Richie

Okay, I am sure Scott would like to send these on to the next guy. Who would like to be next? Any more interested parties in the North West?

skeeter99

Okay, I am sure Scott would like to send these on to the next guy. Who would like to be next? Any more interested parties in the North West?

That's funny, I was just thinking about sending you an email today about it. I've really enjoyed being able to A/B the two crossovers, it was very informative for me and I definitely think others could benefit from the experience as well!

Scott

studiotech

Still interested down on Florida.  Anyone in btw wanna get them next?

Greg

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Sounds like they are heading east after Scott.   :D

skeeter99

Sounds like they are heading east after Scott.   :D

Whenever Danny gets me the info I'll package them up and ship them off to the next happy enthusiast  :thumb:

Danny Richie

Re: Free demo for feedback, crossover parts quality comparison...
« Reply #48 on: 27 Nov 2011, 08:39 pm »
It's funny how everyone has an opinion but no one wants to spend the time to listen and learn.

Come on people who is next?

If you ever wondered just how much of an effect higher quality parts really has then now is the chance to find out for sure.

Maybe we need to take this experiment to one of those forums where all of the nay sayers hang out? Feel free to pass this little challenge along people.

skeeter99

« Reply #49 on: 27 Nov 2011, 10:09 pm »
It's funny how everyone has an opinion but no one wants to spend the time to listen and learn.

If you ever wondered just how much of an effect higher quality parts really has then now is the chance to find out for sure.

Maybe we need to take this experiment to one of those forums where all of the nay sayers hang out? Feel free to pass this little challenge along people.

I've got them packaged up and ready to send to the next person :) It was a great experiment for me and you can fully count me in as a believer now  :thumb:

Scott

tesseract

« Reply #50 on: 27 Nov 2011, 10:11 pm »

I practically begged people at one of those forums to take the challenge. Nothing but excuses (see reply #2 in this thread). Just seen someone over there link to this thread yesterday, but not enough cojones to step up.   

I'll keep throwing the challenge out there.   :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #51 on: 27 Nov 2011, 10:22 pm »
Where is the thread on it?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #52 on: 27 Nov 2011, 10:50 pm »

Many moons ago I linked this thread at another forum ( SH Forum http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=6911614&highlight=#post6911614)
Don't believe anybody ever refered back to it.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #53 on: 27 Nov 2011, 11:37 pm »
Actually the mention yesterday was on a GR sales rep being rude...???
Didnt much get what he was getting at, I've always delt with Danny and hes never been rude, and I can be a little thick.....its here 2nd and 3rd post downhttp://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1375071&page=2

These guys are real twits....I feel like I'm slumming when I go there.

There was another thread a while ago with the naysayers.....but dont know where that is.

Danny Richie

« Reply #54 on: 27 Nov 2011, 11:57 pm »
That is an interesting story. I wonder who that guy really spoke to? I don't even sell Clarity caps.

tesseract

« Reply #55 on: 30 Nov 2011, 01:17 am »
That is the thread, PDR, thanks.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=21256828&postcount=33

I have had encounters with this guy before. Anything to do with AV123, CHT or Danny and he comes out of the woodwork. I usually ignore him, his posts contribute nothing to the threads he snipes in.

The "rude capacitor pushing" comments come from an AH forum moderator... 'nuff said.   :roll:

« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2011, 02:52 am by tesseract »

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #56 on: 18 Aug 2012, 05:30 pm »
Figured I try reviving this thread.

Anyone get the speakers after skeeter99 and give them a try?   :scratch:

Danny Richie

« Reply #57 on: 18 Aug 2012, 08:29 pm »
Figured I try reviving this thread.

Anyone get the speakers after skeeter99 and give them a try?   :scratch:

Skeeter still has them. I guess we need to find them a new home.

skeeter99

« Reply #58 on: 20 Aug 2012, 05:40 pm »
Skeeter still has them. I guess we need to find them a new home.

Correct, they are sitting pretty in my garage ready to ship to the next person. It's really a great way to hear the difference for yourself.

Scott

Captainhemo

« Reply #59 on: 20 Aug 2012, 07:48 pm »
I'd love to take a turn but the cross border shipping cost  make it impractical.
When this "demo" started,  did you keep it quiet as to what  frossover  was  what ?  (the  person  didn't know   which crossover he was listening to).   I realize that after  a while,  it would get out, but it would have been interesting  to  see if  people could tell the difference  without actually knowing.

-jay