Free demo for feedback, crossover parts quality comparison...

grimace

Re: Free demo for feedback...
« Reply #20 on: 9 Aug 2011, 07:10 pm »
No.  I was just hoping to come over when they were setup and have a listen.  I really can't be lifting this stuff.   :(

Danny-
Is the blue stuff just silicone that you used?  Is it on the ends of the caps too?  Care to elaborate?

Oooops, had them setup at my office and they are now back in the boxes back home ready to deliver to you.  I'd be happy to carry them in and place them for you if that will help.  Or, I can just ship them to the next guy.

This was a fun experiment.  I had them connected to my Peachtree Decco at the office and the difference between the two setups was pretty noticeable.  Most of my co-workers could tell the difference.

Let me know what you decide.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 9 Aug 2011, 07:12 pm »
I can just ship them to the next guy.

Please do.

grimace

« Reply #22 on: 9 Aug 2011, 07:26 pm »
Ok - Danny, just let me know who's next on the list then.

Danny Richie

Re: Free demo for feedback, crossover parts quality comparison...
« Reply #23 on: 16 Aug 2011, 10:29 pm »
Where are all the nay sayers?  :lol:

Come on guys, who wants to be next?

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 19 Aug 2011, 05:17 pm »
Funny how many people are vocal about audible differences of stuff and how few there are willing to listen for themselves.

Does someone need to post this on the AV forum or something?

fcraven

• Don't mess with this baritone
« Reply #25 on: 19 Aug 2011, 06:59 pm »
Just saw this, looks like a cool test. I can't do it at this time, but perhaps down the road. I work with some people who would enjoy the test as well.

Personally, I like the "look" of the crossover on the right...but then it looks an awful lot like the crossovers in my speakers...  :D

grimace

« Reply #26 on: 21 Aug 2011, 12:31 am »
Come on gang. They are just sitting in the boxes ready to ship.  :thumb:

grimace

« Reply #27 on: 27 Aug 2011, 04:10 pm »
Bump to top. Still sitting in Garage...

skeeter99

« Reply #28 on: 29 Aug 2011, 07:18 pm »
I'd like a shot at them! I think that'd be a great comparison as I've always wondered if I could hear a difference with upgraded crossovers. What do I need to do?

Scott

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 29 Aug 2011, 07:28 pm »
I'd like a shot at them! I think that'd be a great comparison as I've always wondered if I could hear a difference with upgraded crossovers. What do I need to do?

Scott

You needed to say the word.

E-mail me all of your contact and shipping information.

skeeter99

« Reply #30 on: 29 Aug 2011, 07:36 pm »
You needed to say the word.

E-mail me all of your contact and shipping information.

Well I just saw the thread so couldn't have done it any sooner  :green:  You've got all my info but I'll shoot it to you again :)

Scott

skalos

« Reply #31 on: 29 Aug 2011, 07:40 pm »
I think I would like to give it a try.  Please send details.

1 question, is this a pair of speakers each speaker with diff crossover, or 2 pairs each pair with diff crossover?

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 29 Aug 2011, 07:46 pm »
I think I would like to give it a try.  Please send details.

1 question, is this a pair of speakers each speaker with diff crossover, or 2 pairs each pair with diff crossover?

Each speaker has two crossover in it.

Plug in the upper (stock) binding posts and flip all switches up.

Un-plug upper ones.

Then plug in the lower tube connectors and flip all of the switches down.

Listen closely and report what you hear.

If you have a budget system, then it might help to listen to a music segment several time through to really soak in the details, then switch and repeat.

Danny Richie

« Reply #33 on: 29 Aug 2011, 07:49 pm »
You've got all my info but I'll shoot it to you again

Yeah, but I knew that you had moved since then.

skeeter99

« Reply #34 on: 29 Aug 2011, 07:57 pm »

Yeah, but I knew that you had moved since then.

Oh yeah, that's true :) Thanks Danny! Email returned.

Scott

grimace

« Reply #35 on: 29 Aug 2011, 08:30 pm »
Good deal.  Danny, shoot me the info when you can and I'll try to get these out before I travel again...

skeeter99

« Reply #36 on: 13 Sep 2011, 07:17 pm »
Got these on Saturday right before driving down to the in-laws for the weekend so I packed them up and brought them with :) Hooked them up and listened to them for a while on the stock crossovers to get a sense for how they sound from the factory. I used a demo disk I made up for a GTG I hosted back in January that I'm very familiar with and has a very wide variety of music so you can really test out a speakers versatility.

After I got used to the sound I went back and would listen to one track on the factory crossovers then go back to the beginning of the track and switch to the upgraded crossovers. Mind you I don't have miracle ears but do enjoy good sound so if I can hear any difference it must be VERY obvious to those with more acute/better hearing than myself :D I found that the factory crossover had a fairly significant amount of sibilance. The upgraded crossover significantly, and in most cases completely, got rid of that. On the stock crossovers there are a few tracks where male vocals would get loud and would be especially harsh and I'd have to turn them down. Listening to the same tracks I didn't get that "shout" and sibilance at all.

I also found that bass was much more present and real sounding as well. It was fairly thin and uninvolving (didn't make it sound like it was there with you but rather just a note on the track) on the factory crossover but it turned into a much more "live" and real sound. Kick drums sounded more like a kick drum than a simple bass note if that makes sense.

I also found the high frequencies to be more crisp, clear and realistic as well. Rather than a high hiss, it was cymbals. The upgrade removed much of the harshness at the top end and replaced it with clarity.

Caveat: I only spent about 30-45 minutes with these as I didn't have a ton of time so these are INITIAL impressions. I have never been able to hear an upgraded crossover much less one that was so instantly changeable and it made hearing the differences immediate as my aural memory is not the greatest :D I'll spend more time with these this week then will pass them on to the next lucky soul who wants to try them out as well. As I listen more I'll post more impressions/pictures.

Thank you Danny for this great opportunity!

Scott

grimace

« Reply #37 on: 13 Sep 2011, 07:41 pm »
Glad they arrived safe...it was a long journey from NC to Oregon

skeeter99

« Reply #38 on: 13 Sep 2011, 08:02 pm »
Glad they arrived safe...it was a long journey from NC to Oregon

Arrived in great shape! I was surprised at how the packing tape was still holding both boxes together! FedEX did a good job at handling these.

grimace

« Reply #39 on: 14 Sep 2011, 12:38 am »
Shipping them as "one" box saved about $30.00. They recommended it, glad it worked ok.