Hard wired power cord adaptor

aln

Hard wired power cord adaptor
« on: 14 Jul 2011, 01:54 pm »
For those of us who have a hard wired ac cord on our equipment, this may be a solution.  Just cut off your hot and ground and attach to the adaptor, allowing you to try different aftermarket cords.  Haven't tried it yet, just ran across it while looking for an ac adpator.

http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/2246/2923

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Hard wired power cord adaptor
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2011, 02:25 pm »
What  i want is a small plastic block that a normal IEC male panel socket will fit into, which can be attached to the back of the chassis. So the IEC is firmly stuck on the back of the chassis.
The glue would need to be really strong, so the IEC block would not fall off. and the block would need to be large enough to hold the bit of extra wire along with the body of the IEC.
If i made some, I would provide extra long self tapping threaded screws and a drill bit. So  the block could be both glued and long screws could be added IF the user could open the chassis and be safe drilling the small extra holes.
For chassis without that possiblity, either because the user does not want to do it, or because the stuff is just too packed in there.. then a glue only option.
Like I said, the glue would need to be REALLY strong. (like Gorilla Glue, or an epoxy)

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2011, 02:40 pm »
  How about you take your powercord of choice and just have it hardwired to your gear ??? That is what I did.
   If one is ordering a new AVA component have it done by them, just send the cord.

charles

rcag_ils

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2011, 03:35 pm »
I've been waiting for all sorts of cable, power cord discussion popping up here.

Since Frank switch from the fixed power cord to the removeable power cord, so now there's no excuse to move these threads to the galactic waste bin.

Minn Mark

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2011, 03:38 pm »
rcag,

+1 !

MArk-happy with my captive cords.

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2011, 04:52 pm »
  How about you take your powercord of choice and just have it hardwired to your gear ??? That is what I did.
   If one is ordering a new AVA component have it done by them, just send the cord.

charles

The only power will be thru the new IEC socket.

Wayner

trebejo

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2011, 05:10 pm »
I've been waiting for all sorts of cable, power cord discussion popping up here.

Since Frank switch from the fixed power cord to the removeable power cord, so now there's no excuse to move these threads to the galactic waste bin.

Excuses? We don need no steenkeen excuses...   :wtf:

Other circles here have subcircles (e.g. Omega speakers spun off a new brand so they made a subcircle for it). Frank could have a power cord/superwire/magic capacitor subcircle. Normal people could think of it as the toxic waste bin, and the sciencesux crowd would finally have a safe place to crossbreed.

Jeez, there's an advanced degree or two reading this, let's pretend we know what we are doing and charge as much for a wire as Frank charges for a small amp. Then we can afford all his upgrades.  :icon_twisted:

There's even a choice of emoticons for the subcircle:
:deadhorse:  :spammer:  :banghead:   :fishing:  :wine:  :violin:  :no_see:  :no_hear:

rcag_ils

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2011, 11:17 pm »
Franks power cord strategy may be counter productive, folks spent all their money to buy $10,000 power cords and have no money left for the upgrade.

The only reason audiophiles want IEC is so they can put a expensive power cord their.

pansixt

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2011, 11:38 pm »
I could play music 24/7 and pay the electric bill for a long time with that kind of dough.

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2011, 03:05 am »
The only reason we went to removeable power cords was that not offering this "feature" was costing us sales.

Now we shall see if now having this wonderful feature attracts more new buyers that told us this was their main reservation before.

So far not much evidence of this.

Frank Van Alstine

modular747

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jul 2011, 06:53 am »
The same people who want magic power cords want to see that you use the current "right" brands of capacitors and resistors (not that they know what capacitors and resistors actually are).

pelliott321

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jul 2011, 12:18 pm »
our local audio club did a blind test with powercords ranging from cheapy stock (like the ones that come with computers) to to +$800 cords.
the one that was the majority best sounding (this test was with a very high resolution system on the preamp power cord) was a heavy duty (12ga) shielded printer cable which cost about $12
I did clearly hear differences between cables but felt those differences were so slight that it just did not matter which I would choose 

simon wagstaff

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jul 2011, 01:02 pm »
Not to add fuel to the fire.

:)

I upgraded the power cord on my U70. it had junky lamp cord. I put a 5 dollar hard wired heavier duty cord on it. Also replaced the speaker connectors and input jacks. You can get high quality ones on e-bay pretty cheap, 2-4 bucks. Difference?  I don't know. I was happier.

Rather than a power cord I recently upgraded my power center from a Monster Power HTS 3600 to a 5100 MkII. Now, I basically look at those things as nice power strips. I am pretty surprised at the improvement I heard. Not huge, but blacker blacks, deeper soundstage. I really did hear things I had never heard before, like the clanking of bells in the deep background of Slipknot on blues for Allah.

Certainly I am just hearing things, there can't possibly be a reason for improved sound. I will just mention that there are a few of these that show up on E-bay. I paid 110 bucks for mine and is worth it to me to just have one button to turn everything on. Only thing not plugged in is the cable box, it loses all the channel information when you turn off the power.

martyo

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jul 2011, 02:39 pm »
Not to add fuel to the fire.

I upgraded the power cord on my U70. it had junky lamp cord. I put a 5 dollar hard wired heavier duty cord on it. Also replaced the speaker connectors and input jacks. You can get high quality ones on e-bay pretty cheap, 2-4 bucks. Difference?  I don't know. I was happier.

Rather than a power cord I recently upgraded my power center from a Monster Power HTS 3600 to a 5100 MkII. Now, I basically look at those things as nice power strips. I am pretty surprised at the improvement I heard. Not huge, but blacker blacks, deeper soundstage. I really did hear things I had never heard before, like the clanking of bells in the deep background of Slipknot on blues for Allah.

Certainly I am just hearing things, there can't possibly be a reason for improved sound. I will just mention that there are a few of these that show up on E-bay. I paid 110 bucks for mine and is worth it to me to just have one button to turn everything on. Only thing not plugged in is the cable box, it loses all the channel information when you turn off the power.

If you were listening to Blues for Allah all is well. 8)

simon wagstaff

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jul 2011, 02:54 pm »
yes, it was.

More well than usual.

aln

« Reply #15 on: 15 Jul 2011, 05:15 pm »
Frank:
Do you think this adaptor is an option for those of us who have a hard wired cable?

rcag_ils

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jul 2011, 10:38 pm »
I did clearly hear differences between cables but felt those differences were so slight that it just did not matter which I would choose 

If the differences you heard were so slight, then you did not clearly hear any differences.

rcag_ils

« Reply #17 on: 15 Jul 2011, 10:56 pm »
The only reason we went to removeable power cords was that not offering this "feature" was costing us sales.

Now we shall see if now having this wonderful feature attracts more new buyers that told us this was their main reservation before.

So far not much evidence of this.

I do understand the reason for the removeable power cords for the AVA.

Give it time, Frank has just anounced this new feature, it may take a little time for the word to get out.

Modular747 is dead on about
The same people who want magic power cords want to see that you use the current "right" brands of capacitors and resistors (not that they know what capacitors and resistors actually are).

Not to mention that they want to see 1/2" thick face plate, amp weights min. of 250lb, shipped in a wooden crate, and all that. 

To make AVA more unique, my idea in the past is to manufacture a limited number of limited edition AVA product with circuits that are not in the regular product, do this for a limited time, and make a special looking face plate, a few new features, a little gold plate with Frank's signature on it, that would draw a lot of attention. Look at the high dollar magic cables, most were shipped in a nice little wooden box.

Frank has a place in the audio history, it just too many people have been brain washed by Stereophile magazine in the 90's.

srb

« Reply #18 on: 15 Jul 2011, 11:16 pm »
Not to mention that they want to see 1/2" thick face plate, amp weights min. of 250lb, shipped in a wooden crate, and all that. 

Either you are exagerating and/or trying to be humorous.  The fact is that most people who want the IEC removeable power cord want it because they believe a different cord will make a difference in performance, they don't like a trailing cord when moving a component around, or both.

Most don't want a 1/2" thick face plate, 4mm to 6mm or 3/16" to 1/4" is plenty.  Most don't want a 250 lb. unit, if the amp has an analog power supply they want some beef in the transformer, 40 - 75 lb. will get the job done.  And most don't want a wooden crate, a sturdy cardboard double box with 2" to 3" of semi-elastic foam is perfect.

Steve

rcag_ils

« Reply #19 on: 15 Jul 2011, 11:49 pm »
Either you are exagerating and/or trying to be humorous.  The fact is that most people who want the IEC removeable power cord want it because they believe a different cord will make a difference in performance, they don't like a trailing cord when moving a component around, or both.

Most don't want a 1/2" thick face plate, 4mm to 6mm or 3/16" to 1/4" is plenty.  Most don't want a 250 lb. unit, if the amp has an analog power supply they want some beef in the transformer, 40 - 75 lb. will get the job done.  And most don't want a wooden crate, a sturdy cardboard double box with 2" to 3" of semi-elastic foam is perfect.

Steve

Humorous? Not really. Maybe not quite 1/2" thick face plate, but more than 1/4". 75lbs? Just tell me how much a vintage top of the line Threshold weigh? Also the Jeff Rowland. The CJ Evolution , how much does it weigh? Audiophile actually built cart for these things so they can roll them around instead of breaking their backs lifting them. No cardboard double boxes could have held those things.

You may not want them, but hardcore audiophiles who want removeable power cord do, and they want magic caps to go with that.