Do you guys cook?

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
Do you guys cook?
« on: 12 Jul 2011, 06:18 pm »
Im not sure if the same question was made before, but im curious to know how many of you guys know how to make nice meals?  :P

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: Do you guys cook?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2011, 06:25 pm »
I cook, extremely well, If I don't mind saying so myself. I'm Italian. I cook all the meals here. I only open two kinds of cans, San Marinzano tomatoes and anchovies. My WASP wife isn't allowed in the kitchen.

Doc.

Eric

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2011, 07:01 pm »
Yes, it is one of my hobbies

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2011, 07:32 pm »
But of course!

Actually, I cook all the time -- my wife gave up on the practice when her daughters were in their teens, and subsequently lived with a chef for a while, so she got really spoiled.  We've been together now for almost 30 years, and she still shows up at the table most nights, so I guess it's been a success! :green:

MaxCast

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2011, 07:57 pm »
Yep, wish I had more time to try more time consuming recipes and use my smoker tho.

Photon46

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2011, 11:36 pm »
I've been obsessed with good food all my life. I don't know why, my parents looked a food as nothing more than fuel and preparation of it was to be dispensed with as quickly as possible. When I was sixteen I bought a Julia Child cookbook and started learning to cook. As the years went by, I really got into Asian food and learned about cooking Chinese, Thai, and Indian food. In the last few years, my wife and I have settled on middle eastern/mediterranean food as our dietary mainstay. She's a good cook too, but doesn't enjoy it as much as I do.

jdodmead

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2011, 12:39 am »
Not sure what is meant by nice meals, but I do all the cooking and I'm also an amature bbq pit master. all I do is think about what I'm cooking today, tomorrow and .....

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2011, 01:53 am »
Yup, if I don't cook - I don't eat. I've been cooking from scratch since the 1970's, way back in the hunter gatherer era. Our global vegetarian pot luck group has been meeting once a month for over 25 years. We choose a region, country, or cuisine and prepare a dish to share. We have eaten foods from every continent in the world (except Antarctica).

Wayne

rockadanny

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2011, 11:05 am »
Yep. Love to cook, hate to clean up. Wife hates to cook, loves to clean up. Perfect! :inlove:

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2011, 05:15 pm »
My mother usually worked 2 jobs when I was a kid and wasn't a very good cook anyway. I was the oldest, so once I was big enough she taught me the basics so I could cook for myself and the rest of the kids when she had to work late. It started out with canned soup, boxed mac & cheese [sic], fish sticks, sandwiches and the like. However, I eventually discovered the spice rack and canned tomatoes; from there I was off to the races.

Cooking is my creative outlet. I don't write, paint, sketch, build sand castles or do anything else creative, but I am a damned good amateur cook. When I was a kid there weren't any cooking shows on TV and the only cookbook in the house was an old (1950's) Betty Crocker, so experimentation was the only way for me to really figure ingredients and cooking methods out. I tried a lot of different things, just to see what they tasted like, alone and in combination. Most of the time it was pretty bad, but sometimes it was great. Also, cooking for me is very relaxing, which baffles my wife to no end.  :lol:

rahimlee54

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jul 2011, 03:54 am »
Yep I love food and to get good food you either A) usually have to pay alot for it or B) whip it up yourself.  I choose to make it myself most of the time and it usually turns out above average or better.  I am a chemist by trade the only other career I could have seen myself in would be a cook of some sort.  Either way I mix stuff up and things happen, one just has better hours than the other :).

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #11 on: 15 Jul 2011, 07:27 am »
I cook - and I find that the problem with becoming a good cook is that my standards are higher for food overall, so I enjoy going out to restaurants less, in general. 

JackD201

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jul 2011, 12:12 pm »
I cook - and I find that the problem with becoming a good cook is that my standards are higher for food overall, so I enjoy going out to restaurants less, in general.

Same here. I'm told I'm very good. Then again, I just might have VERY polite friends.

taoggniklat

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jul 2011, 09:06 pm »
Wish I had more time time to cook more often...and experience other food cultures.

bunky

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jul 2011, 10:06 pm »
i love to cook,both of my parents were excellent cooks as are my siblings.i work four ten hour days during the week so i might only cook two nights on weekdays with my daughter cooking one night a week. and we might dine in a restaurant on the remaining two weekdays. on the week ends i have plenty of time to make meals from scratch which is what i enjoy doing  :thumb:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 23 Jul 2011, 09:06 am »
For a living.

geowak

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jul 2011, 01:35 pm »
I am in Iraq. I don't cook anything, I eat at the DFAC (mess hall). I am not going to say the food S**KS, but I will say it's the same stuff, every day.
Prepackaged food and I hate the scampled eggs. I don't think it's made with real eggs.

Can't wait to get back to the states and have real food choices.... I might even start cooking with the wife

My two cents

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #17 on: 23 Jul 2011, 03:11 pm »
When a teenager many centuries ago, I had a chance to work with some of the finest chefs in the world (long story), and later during college worked as a head cook in a restaurant to earn supplemental income.  Although I decided that life in a professional kitchen was not for me, I've had a lifelong interest the culinary arts and can still plate a meal with aplomb.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #18 on: 23 Jul 2011, 05:42 pm »
As the 'dark horse' i respond I never cook. I will use one burner to make eggs if desperate, or to pop popcorn. My stove gets the kind of workout of once a year oven use. Only to bake a frozen pizza.
I do not eat out much either.

At my last place I lived, the Gas cooking fuel was separate from the electric bill. My gas bill was a few cents per month, with the main charge being the service charge. Well, I would pay it like once every several months. After almost ten years of that, someone at the gas co got a bug up the arse about my chronic late payments.. (after four months i owed them $19) and cancelled my gas. I would have to send a $50 depost to have it restored, plus a charge for reinstatement.

So instead i just told them to shove it. I had no working stove at that address for over eight years, and never missed it.
I guess I do not like to cook.
LOL  :thankyou:

Added: what it is I hate the smell of food cooking. And generally do not like it much even when eating. And REALLY hate it afterwards. I never cook meat because it just stinks to high heaven in my place for days afterward...
And yes i can eat the same exact thing day in, day out, every day for years and like it...

datman

« Reply #19 on: 23 Jul 2011, 05:54 pm »
I cook well and a lot, even after managing restaurants.  I finally decided I didn't like restaurant management, but did enjoy cooking.

So here you have a California Jewish boy that cooks Italian, Eastern European Jewish and Louisiana Cajun. An eclectic mix to be sure but one that works for me.

I am also a professional coffee roaster.