Bryston Active Crossover 10B

myview

Bryston Active Crossover 10B
« on: 11 Jul 2011, 09:16 am »
Hi James,

I have searched the Bryston Circle here on AudioCircle and there seems to be relatively little mentioned (except for some rather outdated threads) about the 10b active crossovers.  I wonder why that is so, given that some experienced audiophiles say that a well-implemented active crossover can bring performance up a few notches.  In your product range, is 10b (either standard or sub) popular among your (non-professional market) clients?

Thoughts or comments?

Thank you

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston Active Crossover 10B
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2011, 10:32 am »
Hi James,

I have searched the Bryston Circle here on AudioCircle and there seems to be relatively little mentioned (except for some rather outdated threads) about the 10b active crossovers.  I wonder why that is so, given that some experienced audiophiles say that a well-implemented active crossover can bring performance up a few notches.  In your product range, is 10b (either standard or sub) popular among your (non-professional market) clients?

Thoughts or comments?

Thank you

It runs hot and cold - using an electronic crossover properly is not something a lot of people understand so typically at the consumer level it is used with subwoofer integration rather than active speakers.  It is very popular with Maggie owners where they can BY-Pass the internal crossovers and of course all PMC active speakers use the 10B.

The only new review I am aware of is being done now by Jeff at Tonepub Magazine.

It uses all fully discrete Class A circuits throughout and is extremely flexible.

james

Marius

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2011, 03:15 pm »
Hi Myview,

ever since I started playing with the 10Bsub, I (and a lot of discerning quests in my auditorium) found the Quad ESl63's to not be believed...Since the 10Bsub steers everything below 90-100 hz (adjustable) to my Sub, the ESL's can play a lot easier (and much louder....) without that load.

amazing piece of gear, and wouldn't want to miss it for the world. Performance "up a few notches" would be a mild understatement.

just my professional 2 cents.

Marius

It runs hot and cold - using an electronic crossover properly is not something a lot of people understand so typically at the consumer level it is used with subwoofer integration rather than active speakers.  It is very popular with Maggie owners where they can BY-Pass the internal crossovers and of course all PMC active speakers use the 10B.

The only new review I am aware of is being done now by Jeff at Tonepub Magazine.

It uses all fully discrete Class A circuits throughout and is extremely flexible.

james

myview

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2011, 04:40 pm »
Does anyone here use a 10B Standard for an active speaker set up?  Can you please share your experience?

Thank you

PRELUDE

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2011, 09:18 pm »
Does anyone here use a 10B Standard for an active speaker set up?  Can you please share your experience?

Thank you
It would be much easier to help you if you could tell us what you want to do.Are you ready to go active or you just want some info.I did use the standard for three times for other people but I made the speakers from scratch and worked on each for few months.I do not have any contact with this people any more and it was long time ago other then that I could put all the pictures here.All I was thinking was to finish the job and never took any pictures.

TONEPUB

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2011, 09:33 pm »
I've been using one for a review, with a pair of MartinLogan Aerius i speakers, that have a crossover frequency of 450hz. Thanks to the 10B, I've bypassed the internal crossover components.

So far, using the 10B has allowed me to use a SS amp for the woofer and a tube amp for the panel with excellent results.  The components used in the 10B are of much better quality than the passive components in these older speakers.  I'm about to try them with a few other speakers, but I've come away highly impressed with the 10B so far.

I agree with Marius, a big performance gain.

PRELUDE

nikon

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2011, 10:56 pm »
James

Is the 10B available with C Series cosmetics. If not are there any plans to offer same.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2011, 11:39 pm »
James

Is the 10B available with C Series cosmetics. If not are there any plans to offer same.

No plans at this time to offer C-Series

Jon L

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2011, 01:02 am »
I use the 10B Std for the 140 Hz point, which I need and 10B SUB does not offer.  Something to keep in mind. 

10B Std Selectable points:
70 Hz. 100 Hz. 140 Hz.
200 Hz. 300 Hz. 450 Hz, 700 Hz, 1 kHz, 
1.4 kHz, 2kHz. 3 kHz. 4.5 kHz

10B Sub:
40 Hz, 50 Hz, 60 Hz, 70 Hz,
80 Hz, 90 Hz. 100 Hz.
200 Hz. 250 Hz. 300 Hz.
400 Hz. 500 Hz

TONEPUB

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2011, 03:41 am »
I could have sworn either James told me or the instruction manual stated that custom values could be done.

James....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 12 Jul 2011, 10:37 am »
I could have sworn either James told me or the instruction manual stated that custom values could be done.

James....

Hi Jeff - correct - we can do custom crossover points if required.

james