OB design for single 12-16FR

jlafrenz

Re: OB design for single 12-16FR
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jul 2011, 10:37 pm »
If you are really set on OB you could start with the single and then add a second one later on...

That has certainly crossed my mind and it just depends on how one would preform in the meantime.

Rclark

« Reply #21 on: 8 Jul 2011, 08:52 pm »

Is the H-frame fairly easy to build? It's pretty much just flat rectangles and squares with a routed baffle, right? I suppose I could do that.

Can we have a link to the H-frame?

Are there any non-servo options available that might save some money or allow for a second sub?

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 8 Jul 2011, 09:01 pm »

Is the H-frame fairly easy to build? It's pretty much just flat rectangles and squares with a routed baffle, right? I suppose I could do that.

Can we have a link to the H-frame?

Are there any non-servo options available that might save some money or allow for a second sub?

A basic H frame is real simple. It is just a small baffle with sides around it. From my testing with V-1's and Super-V's I'd say side panels that are about 13.5" in total depth with the baffle right in the middle of it works really well.

I could make you a killer deal on a pair of the woofers used in the V-2 and the SA-1 amp if you just want to get your feet wet with it and not tie up to much funds.

Rclark

« Reply #23 on: 9 Jul 2011, 08:38 am »

Well, I may just end up taking your offer there as part of the next system. I plan on moving these GR-Insignia's into the living room and starting on a more next-level system soon after my amp gets fixed.

I plan on doing a little write up for your Insignia kit shortly after that happens. They're sitting silent right now.

I wonder what kinda output that V2 woofer, SA-1 amp combo would give, probably something like 40 watts? Might not be too bad

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 9 Jul 2011, 03:59 pm »
I wonder what kinda output that V2 woofer, SA-1 amp combo would give, probably something like 40 watts? Might not be too bad

The SA-1 amp will peak 200 watts into those two woofers.

Rclark

« Reply #25 on: 9 Jul 2011, 08:37 pm »
Really, and ob? That sounds pretty nice. I'm gonna seriously consider that. Read what the 8's are like first, and price difference for equivalent setup.

jlafrenz

« Reply #26 on: 9 Jul 2011, 09:11 pm »
Danny, would you mind PMing me the specs and price and that setup?

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 9 Jul 2011, 09:27 pm »
I can get you two of these woofers: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-894 Specs are listed in a .pdf file on that page.

And the SA-1 amp: http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=156

For $269.

Rclark

« Reply #28 on: 9 Jul 2011, 11:22 pm »
That is just a ridiculously good deal and may have to snap on that soon.

How would one do in a 16*12 room, lengthwise? If I place it vertically I should get a nice spread huh? Or are pairs really the only way to go?

jlafrenz

« Reply #29 on: 10 Jul 2011, 10:44 pm »
I can get you two of these woofers: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-894 Specs are listed in a .pdf file on that page.

And the SA-1 amp: http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=156

For $269.

Would you suggest these be built in a  single frame or separated? What size would the frame be if they were in the same frame?

jrebman

« Reply #30 on: 10 Jul 2011, 11:03 pm »
One possibility is to build the sub section of the V-2s and you'll have a nice, lowprofile sub that you can either stand on end or lie flat -- though my guess it is that it would be better to put some sort of base for added mass and to raise it off the floor a bit if laid on it's side.

-- Jim

jlafrenz

« Reply #31 on: 10 Jul 2011, 11:29 pm »
I thought about that or maybe even using the design from the 12-16's posted on the website.

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 11 Jul 2011, 02:39 am »
One possibility is to build the sub section of the V-2s and you'll have a nice, lowprofile sub that you can either stand on end or lie flat

What he said.

jlafrenz

« Reply #33 on: 11 Jul 2011, 03:14 am »
I see that those drivers are only rated down to 40Hz. I would think that a driver used for a subwoofer would go a but lower. I realize specs aren't everything though.

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 11 Jul 2011, 05:00 am »
I see that those drivers are only rated down to 40Hz. I would think that a driver used for a subwoofer would go a but lower. I realize specs aren't everything though.

That's just what someone arbitrarily came up with as a good range that a guitar would play well threw these. Keep in mind that the Fs is 31Hz and the SA-1 amp has a transform circuit on it to make the woofer play lower. So you are looking at a -3db range in the upper 20's.

jlafrenz

« Reply #35 on: 11 Jul 2011, 01:07 pm »
Thanks for the clarification. I knew there was likely more to it than just the posted specs.

Rclark

« Reply #36 on: 11 Jul 2011, 11:43 pm »
Danny if I decided I'd like an OB servo sub instead can I buy from you direct or do I need to go to Rythmik?

Danny Richie

« Reply #37 on: 11 Jul 2011, 11:49 pm »
Danny if I decided I'd like an OB servo sub instead can I buy from you direct or do I need to go to Rythmik?

I am the only one stocking and selling the open baffle version. You can even order the SW-12-16FR model right from my web site.

sfdoddsy

« Reply #38 on: 23 Jul 2011, 04:26 am »
I would love to do dual subs in separate areas, but space is limited and I am trying to watch the budget. Will I loose that much output from an OB sub that a single 12 won't have enough to fill in the low end in a spare bedroom?

An OB sub has about 1/4 the output of the equivalent sealed sub. So you would need four drivers to match the output of a single sealed driver.

jlafrenz

« Reply #39 on: 29 Jul 2011, 12:26 am »
Received a package from Danny earlier this week. Not sure if I will have time this weekend to get started or not. Perhaps I can knock out the housing for the amp.