How long can you last?

Deftone

How long can you last?
« on: 2 Jul 2011, 05:36 am »
Just want to know what is your average time listening to your favorite music in one sitting. Does it depends on your mood,environment and the genre kinda music you are listening that will effect your listening pleasure. How long does it takes you to feel fatigue or bored after listening to the music?

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: How long can you last?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2011, 05:54 am »

I can go until the wife begs me to stop ( We're still talking about listening to music, right ? ) !

But seriously, folks, with the system I'm assembling, I can listen for hours without fatigue setting in and boredom is never an issue because this is what I love to do. I can vary my music according to the mood I'm in because my tastes are varied and my collection is ever-expanding and really the biggest problem I face is finding enough time to enjoy music...

D.D.

myview

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2011, 06:34 am »
Same here.  What is lacking is time.  So much music, so little time :(

Deftone

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2011, 07:10 am »
Do you ever feels that the music you are listening half way thru your cd/vinyl does'nt excite you at all even though it does put a smile in you at other times before. Could it be the queen of the nagging or some other reasons.

Me too, listen to wide variety of genre BUT jazz is really my main passion.Can sit and get glued at my sweet spot for hours.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jul 2011, 07:35 am »
Is it perhaps because your tastes in music are changing/evolving or perhaps because you need to branch out and hear some new sounds? That can be a challenge-with the new music industry paradigm, it can be tough to find new stuff you enjoy because everybody and their dog is putting out music now and the clutter buries the good stuff...
If it's the system that isn't thrilling you anymore, you've just got upgrade-itis. It's completely curable but you may also end up suffering from some grisly side-effects such as bank-account depletion and angry wife syndrome... :green:

D.D.

sweetspot

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jul 2011, 09:55 am »
Never really thought about this before-but now that you bring it up,I would say about 2 hours a day(more on weekends).Moods have a lot to do with my choices.Sometimes I think I'm in a jazz mood,but it may end up being classic rock or vice-versa.I guess it all depends on what's going on in your life at any given time.Whatever soothes the savage beast in me!!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #6 on: 2 Jul 2011, 01:28 pm »
I put in a set of five Glenn Gould CDs in the changer, and played them about 12 hours straight Thursday AND Friday.
So i do not get bored too easily.
Bach with Gould playing is sort of the original minimalist music.
Part of the time they were playing i was also on the computer.
And then I also took a short nap.... and ate some food...

Mag

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jul 2011, 01:33 pm »
I usually take a short nap before listening, then I can listen from 6pm to 12 midnight or shortly after until I shut it down. The place is a mess as nothing gets done around the house.

Sometimes I have a rock marathon, or mix it up between, hard rock, electronic New Age. The biggest problem is I can't decide what to play anymore. I'm finding new music but that is a long slow process.

Music sounds better in the evening than during the day but I think this is more to due with being relaxed and settled, than weather or electrical grid. 8)

Deftone

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jul 2011, 07:36 pm »
Exactly, sometimes i just don't know what to listen to anymore.Of course i have no issues at all with my gears.Got over a thousand cd's and its growing every month.

Elizabeth

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jul 2011, 08:23 pm »
For listening I tend to go in cycles of the various main musical groups.
So I am now in a Classical mood. And bought a few cheap box sets off Amazon and am playing those. Cheap but still some of the greatest performances.. Nice combination!.
So when, iin a week or three days, whatever, i get tired of Classical, I might hit some Jazz, and stick in an artist and play a bunch of that persons' stuff.
Whatever the mood i switch to other types of music when i hit a 'I'm tired of ... whatever. Usually works!

won ton on

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jul 2011, 08:26 pm »
so how many hours a week does everyone listen.i'm good for 25 hrs./week a bit more in the winter

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #11 on: 2 Jul 2011, 09:06 pm »
Probably 8 hours a day. No, it doesn't depend on all of that. I take breaks during that time frame.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jul 2011, 11:15 pm »
sometimes i just don't know what to listen to anymore.  Got over a thousand cd's and its growing every month.

I have the same problem - you go up to your collection and your mind just locks up- overwhelmed by choice.
Here's what you do:

a) Carefully approach your music collection while averting your gaze so as not to not to be frozen into inaction by all the possibilities before you

b) Close your eyes tight and extend one arm, index finger extended as if to point at something.

c) Spin around a few times to lose any pre-conceived sense of direction which might direct you to a certain part of your collection. Do not open your eyes ! This would spoil the surprise...

d) Crash into and/or fall over the piece of furniture nearest to you as you dizzily stagger around after completing
    step c). If you are married, now would be a good time to call out to your wife for assistance. Seeing you like this
    may also have the desirable effect of re-inforcing her bond with you as many women find a man who is a "fixer-
    upper " appealing and at this stage, you will definitely have the appearance of being one of those...
    If you are either single or alone in the house, perhaps your dog will come and lick your face as you lay stunned on
    the floor. If you have a cat, you are probably on your own.

e) As soon as you are able, drag yourself over to your music collection, make a selection at random and enjoy. :thumb:

Badda Bing Badda Boom - Problem Solved!  

You're welcome !  :D

D.D.

Elizabeth

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jul 2011, 02:54 am »
I have suddenly been in a buying spree for Classical sets off Amazon.
First this week i got the Complete Beethoven string quartets with Budapest String Quartet, a Sony 24bit reissue for $20.
LIked that, then saw reviews which looked interesting and made me also buy Complete Beethoven Quartets by Emerson for $26.
I have to say thier playing is invigorating!
Even the first quartet was exciting with the Emerson Quartet!
(I already owned the complete Beethoven Qs with Smetana on Denon bought many years back.)
Several other box sets dirt cheap off Amazon. So I have plenty to listen to that is very exciting.
Trouble is it poisons me toward paying big bucks for sets of Classical music.... But that is just me. Cheap cheap cheap.

Mag

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jul 2011, 03:33 am »
I have no shortage of music to choose from which is divided into sections.

Discards: Stuff that is not deemed good enough to listen to a second time. Won't live long enough.

Keepers: Music usually a mixture of bad & good songs, not bad enough to discard, but not good enough to be in the favorites section. Gets played occasionally for a change from wearing out the favorites.

Favorites: The go to music that is tried and proven over the years. You know you like it you just don't want to wear it out like some song that has been played on the radio for the millionth time. Many are compilations extracted from the keeper section.

New: Gets played regularly with a handful of other new stuff until you fear wearing it out. Then usually gets placed in the favorites section where it gets played less often, but enough to keep ya happy.

Photon46

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jul 2011, 12:01 pm »
Wee, there's different KINDS of listening. At times, I'll put some classical music on and do some reading, work on my art, or computer work. This sort of listening isn't very mentally involving, so I might listen for several hours in this mode. However, if you're talking about serious listening where you try to listen for the entrances of all the composers themes, variations, recapitulations, and modulations, etc, this takes a bit more involvement and mental energy. If I'm listening like I'm trying to follow a score, about two hours of it and I'm ready for a break. I generally listen for a couple of hours a day. I like the experience of music to be something special and not a routine background of life. If I'm listening to jazz or rock, I still like the concept of listening to the "album." Mixing stuff up on iTunes is ok for background music at work, but it bores me at home.

larevoj

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jul 2011, 04:13 am »
With Bryston a good source is very important or you will bleed from your ears!  :lol:

I learn this from my past experience having toslink out from my Mac Mini - it was horrid. However, if you improve on your source, good isolation, reasonable cables, elevate your cables, etc...Bryston Rig is a very neutral and musical...still there are horrid tracks that nothing much can be done.  :D

I can listen ALL day.   

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #17 on: 19 Jul 2011, 12:32 am »
From this...

To that...

Be well...

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #18 on: 21 Jul 2011, 09:15 am »