Tang Band 1808s over Alpha H frames

Ric Schultz

Re: Tang Band 1808s over Alpha H frames
« Reply #20 on: 17 Sep 2011, 01:54 am »
I understand that people like to make things and make pretty things.  But from a performance perspective how can a box equal an open baffle?  Don't think it can.  The original posters speaker (Tang Band on open baffle running wide open and then augmented on the bottom using a separate amp) would sound way, way better.  If you put a speaker in a box, it will sound boxy.  Now you could go on and on about a single speaker and no phase shifting in the bass to a separate woofer.....but if you listened to both (done right, that is) then I cannot imagine your box speaker sounding as transparent or dynamic or deep.  If you are running the Tang Band on its own amp and the woofer on another you can also put a smaller value better sounding coupling cap in your tube amp (or whatever) to ensure the Tang Band has a nice roll off on the bottom so it will play even more dynamically.

This is the open baffle forum, after all.  Open baffle rules!  I am sure the single driver people would love your speaker.  Please post there.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #21 on: 17 Sep 2011, 02:31 am »
Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.  I have had a divine day.  Hope yours is great too.  Maybe after you finish your speakers you can then take them out and put them on an open baffle and run a woof underneath like in this thread and tell us what differences you hear.  Would be educational for all.  I have no desire for a box but a lot of people seem to like these horny/boxy things.  But I hardly ever see anyone doing it both ways with the same driver and commenting on the difference.  The open baffle plus H frame is easier to build but does not look as pretty and you need two amps or a coil on the woof.  No matter, I am sure you will enjoy the heck out of those drivers however you use them....they are great drivers.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #22 on: 17 Sep 2011, 03:10 am »
Ric S or anyone who knows, does the H frame design not work well using an appropriate 12" driver?  A 15" design will look pretty large in my room... WAF you know.  Thanks. :D

Poultrygeist

« Reply #23 on: 17 Sep 2011, 11:46 am »
The TB/H-Frame Alphas don't look out of place in an average sized room. At 39 inches they aren't as tall as many floorstanders and the upper portion seems smaller as it doesn't block one's vision. My wife actually likes the way they look and she's not one to make on over my projects. I've heard what I thought were excellent box speakers but none could hold a candle to these.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #24 on: 18 Sep 2011, 08:47 pm »
The OB's made it out of the garage into a room. The Bottlehead 2a3 Paramours match well with the Tang Bands.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #25 on: 18 Sep 2011, 08:50 pm »

studiotech

« Reply #26 on: 18 Sep 2011, 09:18 pm »
Oh man, all that tile, glass and unfiltered 1808s sounds like treble city.  I'm curious if you have any capability to measure your in-room response.

This is TB's own measurement.  My own were just as funky...

All that detail you guys are hearing is the same as turning the mid and treble knobs up on a receiver.  Not really the same as retrieving what is actually present in the recording.  To each his own and I know many people love these things, but wow, they are not linear at all.  Even crossed over and EQ'd, I could not make them work as a wide range mid for my tastes.

Greg

Poultrygeist

« Reply #27 on: 19 Sep 2011, 12:17 am »
tech, that's not my listening room but it works for picture taking.

jparkhur

« Reply #28 on: 28 Sep 2011, 06:02 pm »
PG,

Did you put a inductor/resister on this to flatten out the gain on the top end above 600hz to 20K ?  Thanks for the info.  Looking for values to stop the high gain on that.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #29 on: 22 Oct 2011, 01:07 pm »
These Radio Shack super tweeters ( said to be made by Fostex ) add a nice shimmer to brushed hi-hats.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #30 on: 22 Oct 2011, 01:10 pm »

Poultrygeist

« Reply #31 on: 22 Oct 2011, 01:13 pm »

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #32 on: 22 Oct 2011, 03:17 pm »
You have your tweeters on backwards.

Adding a tweeter like that will cause some major disruption to the on axis response. Depending on listening height, you will get some 6db peaks and 15db dips all over the place.

Face your tweeter to the rear of the room and you can get the same air and spacial ques highlighted without the huge disruption to the on axis response.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #33 on: 22 Oct 2011, 04:25 pm »
These Radio Shack super tweeters ( said to be made by Fostex ) add a nice shimmer to brushed hi-hats.

Made by Foster (who own Fostex). Be sure to rip the XO out of the pods and replace it with something better and more appropriate,

dave
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2012, 09:07 pm by planet10 »

Poultrygeist

« Reply #34 on: 22 Oct 2011, 07:40 pm »
I tried them facing backwards but the cymbals go "tink" instead of "ting". But who knows it might grow on me.  :lol:

Not much of a XO just a couple of caps to replace.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #35 on: 22 Oct 2011, 09:53 pm »
I tried them facing backwards but the cymbals go "tink" instead of "ting". But who knows it might grow on me.  :lol:

Not much of a XO just a couple of caps to replace.

Ones i have had all had a 2nd order filter with a dinky ceramic core choke.

dave

Poultrygeist

« Reply #36 on: 23 Oct 2011, 12:48 am »

Trismos

« Reply #37 on: 22 Apr 2012, 11:15 pm »
Poultryguist

What are the measurements of both your H-Frame and TB baffle and how did you come up with these? I read in one of your posts that you had a pair of Zu speakers that you parted with because these were better.

I've been looking for my next project and have been waiting for Danny Ritchie's next iteration of OB DIY with his 8" servo speakers but the wait is having me look elsewhere. I like your project and I could see doing it with an active crossover set-up.

Regards
Dave
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2012, 12:35 am by Trismos »

Trismos

« Reply #38 on: 22 Apr 2012, 11:52 pm »
And how about these as an option to the TB's: Dayton Audio PS220-8 8" Point Source Full-Range Neo Driver 

Regards
Dave

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #39 on: 23 Apr 2012, 12:29 am »
Poultreyguist

What are the measurements of both your H-Frame and TB baffle and how did you come up with these? I read in one of your posts that you had a pair of Zu speakers that you parted with because these were better.

I've been looking for my next project and have been waiting for Danny Ritchie's next iteration of OB DIY with his 8" servo speakers but the wait is having me look elsewhere. I like your project and I could see doing it with an active crossover set-up.

Regards
Dave

My new drivers that will be used in these new models will hit the water in 8 days. So I hope to have a couple of new kits available in the weeks to come.