Music From iTunes on PC to iTunes on Mac Laptop?

ajzepp

Music From iTunes on PC to iTunes on Mac Laptop?
« on: 29 Jun 2011, 05:00 am »
Hello again...

So I"m really close to pulling the trigger on an Apple laptop and finally saying goodbye to PC. I use my computer as my music source for my audio rig, though, and I wanted to check about something.

I have about 160 gb of music on my Dell laptop, organized by iTunes. If I transfer my music file to an external hard drive, will there be any compatibility issues uploading it to the Apple?

Thanks in advance, guys...can't wait to finally pull the trigger!

skunark

Re: Music From iTunes on PC to iTunes on Mac Laptop?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2011, 06:27 am »
There's no file compatibility issue, but you might notice issues with album artwork which would either missing, different or the same as iTunes normally won't store the artwork as part of the file.    Also, if you ripped your music to mp3, acc, alac or aiff, the tagging will be preserved, but with wav files you will lose the tagging information (title, track, artist, etc).   

If do have "wav" files or concerned about your album art, then another option is to enable home share on both the PC and the MAC and have it "sync" the files over to your new mac.  If you plan on using an external drive for the music, make sure you point the itunes library to that before you copy over. 

Don't forget to get an additional external drive for Time Machine backups.   You should size the drive to be larger than your internal drive and external drives that you want backed up.  i.e. You have a total of 500GB of internal and external drive same that you want backed up, I would get a 750GB or 1TB external drive for back.

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2011, 03:54 pm »
Skunark: Thanks!

bretth

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2011, 02:05 pm »
Should be some sweet new macbook airs with Lion on them in a matter of days or weeks.