What is your reference?

Steve

Re: What is your reference?
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jul 2011, 11:22 pm »
Hi Bill,

I can understand where you are coming from. But I have to say that when listening there comes when I say yes, that is it. The sound just has that rightness where pianos, voices etc just sound accurate, natural, live. That makes my day.

Cheers.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 9 Jul 2011, 11:45 pm »
John,

For the past 30+ years my systems (even in a dorm room) have always sounded way better (maybe not as loud) than any amplified live concerts.

Bill,

Yes room interaction is a hugely ignored factor (unless your room is the size of a basketball court). 

HT cOz

« Reply #22 on: 10 Jul 2011, 12:01 am »
I think the room is very important and I don't think you need a huge room either. How many people can even answer these questions about their rooms:
1 my room has good reverb for music?
2 I don't have a slap wall effect problem

And these are just a start.

I would gush about my speakers more if I knew it just wasn't my carefully constructed room. Lol.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 10 Jul 2011, 11:59 am »
Yes, I use an 8 ft x 13 ft x 22 ft (Cardas room shape - golden cuboid) with their recommended speaker/listening positions.  The imaging/focus really locks in from "the" chair, but nearfield listening isn't for everyone or every speaker.

My single (large) driver speakers "beam" the top 2 octaves, which with nearfield setup helps to factor out the room.  The speakers are mass loaded transmission line designs, so bass roll off matches room gain quite nicely to below 30 Hz.  Of course with single driver designs nearfield coherency is assured.

The room was not expensive to build given that the space was already available.  Storage spaces on two side, the other walls are exterior (basement).  No windows, everything is insulated including the supply air duct and the fiberglass exterior door with weather seal.  Dedicated audio circuits (a no cost feature when building a new house) and cryo'd hospitcal grade 20 amp receptacles (my only real splurge for $99) tops it off.

Without this sort of setup, I'd seriously be looking into a good headphone based system with smaller/simplier speakers for "background" listening.