Remote Desktop app for iPhone to connect to iMac?

low.pfile

Remote Desktop app for iPhone to connect to iMac?
« on: 24 Jun 2011, 11:42 pm »
What's the smoothest running, easiest to set up iPhone app to provide connection to my iMac's desktop? This will allow access to the entire iMac system, not just iTunes.

I already use Screen Sharing on my MacBook Pro to control everything running on the iMac (which works perfectly for me), but thought I'd check out an iPhone app just for fun.  And of course I use the Remote app to control iTunes on the iMac.

[ iPhone 3GS/iOS4.1 and iMac11.3 /OS10.6 ]

Edited the title and text to replace the incorrect "VPN" term (thanks to Skunark)..I actually meant "VNC"
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2011, 05:52 am by low.pfile »

jparkhur

Re: VPN-like iPhone app to connect to iMac?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2011, 11:57 pm »
look under the network utilities, i think i used vpn net, or some type of program that allowed me to share screen and run what ever, but you could also use it to dive in to other roots stuff.  search vpn, or easy connect...... jp  Sorry not at home right now

skunark

Re: VPN-like iPhone app to connect to iMac?
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2011, 04:50 am »
I think you mean Remote Desktop?    I use iSSH.

low.pfile

Re: Remote Desktop app for iPhone to connect to iMac?
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2011, 05:50 am »
Thanks skunark, I knew someone would straighten me out with the right terminology. I am looking for Remote Desktop app (not VPN --which I was just using for work). And now I will likely find more that I will search using the correct terms (Remote Desktop, RDP, VNC)!
thx, ed

MaxCast

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2011, 11:05 am »
Please let us know what you come up with.
thanks,
Rich

jparkhur

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2011, 01:28 pm »
He is right.  RDC or RDC lite. Work great

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2011, 02:47 pm »
I have been using Logmein with my pad!
Good stuff!  :thumb:

gary

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2011, 03:08 pm »
I use LogMeIn, it's pretty fantastic. Even circumvents the corporate network and lets me control my workstation from the phone. With the iPhone on just 3G controlling a 1900x1200 monitor is very doable.

gary

Crimson

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2011, 09:35 pm »
I use iTeleport. No issues, works great.

MaxCast

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2011, 09:42 pm »
How/will any of these work with iphone to a PC (win7)?

Is lag time an issue?  Meaning what is the time difference between doing something at the computer vs doing the same thing from a remote computer?  Just looking for a rough estimate.

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jun 2011, 11:58 pm »
Another vote here for iSSH -- especially for the great support he gives, the developer is constantly in the support forum, corresponding with users, requests often show up in the next release.  Frequent updates, too.

Running on my iPad, talking to the dual-boot Linux on my PC over wireless, it's just as fast as at the console.

brj

« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2015, 04:06 pm »
Hello, everyone.

Any new or revised opinions in the last 4 years on the best remote desktop solution for controlling a headless Mac from an iPhone/iPad?  In my case, I'm looking for iOS 8.x solution to control a Mavericks and/or Yosemite Mac Mini audio server desktop, purely from within my home.

At the moment, the Mac Mini is hardwired with GigE and the wireless devices are communicating via 802.11n, but even at less than 802.11ac speeds, I hope I won't have much lag with any solution, though that is one concern.

Thanks!

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #12 on: 17 Mar 2015, 11:00 pm »
I use the free VNC app on my ipad / iphone.