« on: 19 Jun 2011, 10:53 pm »
I just downloaded my first several Hi-Rez albums from HD-Tracks. Amongst them:

Bill Evans - Waltz for Debby
Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet
Louis Armostring and Ella Fitzgerals
Getz and Gilberto
New Paul Simon
Diana Krall - From This Moment On

I purposefully downloaded a few albums (Evans, Getz/Gilberto, Stones, Krall) which I already have remastered version of. I use Pure Music as my playback software.

So far, I have found the hi-rez versin of the albums I already have to sound really good. Better than the 16/44.1 versions in all cases, but to somewhat varying degrees. The biggest difference is the sense of clarity tha tthe hi-rez versions impart. They are all much clearer and seem to have better spatial cues and sound-staging. Good to hear what this Hi-Rez thing is about.
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2011, 12:46 pm by pardales »

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: My first Hi-rez
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2011, 10:59 pm »
Paul Simons recording held that one back in my opinion, if you can deal with Steely Dan then get "Gaucho" I still play that almost daily, that was my first and blew me away......enjoy, everything I was able to get so far in hi-rez is like hearing a fresh new album again even though I've been hearing it for years in some cases. :dance:

Mike Nomad

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2011, 02:19 am »
I just downloaded my first several Hi-Rez albums from HD-Tracks. Amongst them:

Bill Evans - Waltz for Debby
Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet
Louis Armostring and Ella Fitzgerals
Getz and Gilberto
New Paul Simon
Diana Krall - From This Moment On

I purposefully downloaded a few albums (Evans, Getz/Gilberto, Stones, Krall) which I already have remastered version of. I use Pure Music as my playback software.

So far, I have found them all to sound really good. Better than the 16/44.1 versions in all cases, but to somewhat varying degrees. They are all much clearer, have better air and sound-staging. Good to hear what this Hi-Rez thing is about.

I've gotten a number of HD Tracks downloads. The titles I am most happy with:

Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Session
Duke Ellington & Johnny Hodges - Side By Side
Howlin' Wolf - The Memphis Sessions
Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed

firedog

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2011, 11:39 am »
Does the new Paul Simon have heavy volume compression? the regular CD does - I found it unlistenable after a few minutes

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2011, 12:19 pm »
firedog-its just bad all around as far as I'm concerned, trying to figure out what made it so bad would be an exercise in futility!!! Think, some guy with supposed golden ears wants to be artsy and make his "masterwork", the problem is he never took the time to get a feel for the music or learn the software well enough to do anything except make it sound bad. I don't know who engineered it, its all speculation on my part..LOL.

DSD_Mastering

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2011, 01:45 am »
Paul Simon - So Beautiful or So What

Engineer: Andy Smith
Mixer/Producer: Phil Ramone

Mastering: Greg Calbi

Oh well....

firedog

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2011, 04:50 am »
firedog-its just bad all around as far as I'm concerned, trying to figure out what made it so bad would be an exercise in futility!!! Think, some guy with supposed golden ears wants to be artsy and make his "masterwork", the problem is he never took the time to get a feel for the music or learn the software well enough to do anything except make it sound bad. I don't know who engineered it, its all speculation on my part..LOL.

I understand how this happens with lesser artists. I don't understand how it happens with big names with artistic control. The last McCartney album (Memory Almost Full) is the same.

Do these guys not approve the sound of the finished product? Do they not care? Or does someone convince them that "it has to sound like this" to succeed in today's market.

jamesg11

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2011, 12:35 pm »
[/quote]
Noticed that "In Session" has been deleted by HDTracks - some question re faux hires, I understand.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 2011, 12:56 pm »
Does the new Paul Simon have heavy volume compression? the regular CD does - I found it unlistenable after a few minutes

I love Paul Simon, and I posted here (but mostly on the Hoffman forum) about the loudness of even the 24/96 version, and on the Hoffman forum got blasted by most.  I can't listen to it!  It's too damn loud and compressed (plus it feels a bit recycled, like great hooks and rhythms from Surprise, mixed with other stuff from You're The One...both wayyy better albums IMO). 

Mike Nomad

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2011, 01:02 pm »

Noticed that "In Session" has been deleted by HDTracks - some question re faux hires, I understand.

Interesting. I haven't heard the SACD, so, all I have are memories of a succession of low-rez releases: bootleg video; bootleg cassette; CD.

pardales

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 2011, 11:53 pm »
As I make my way through the HD TRACKS downloads I have to say, I am noticing bigger improvements than I originally reported and a few wonderful jazz albums that are new to me.

Larry Coryell Organ Trio - Impressions  :)
Ella and Louis - Duet Album   :thumb:
Massimo Salvagnini - Mancini Dry   :hyper:

I am listening to Beggar's Banquet right now. Certain aspects are improved over the remastered versions I have. Better bass and better detail stand out but will have to spend a bit more time with it to discern.

I have also engaged Pure Music's 2X  software upsampling and it has significantly altered my redbook playback. Again, it will take some time to discern the quality of this alteration.

Did I mention i'm having a lot of fun. Yes this   :banana piano: much fun!
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2011, 01:11 am by pardales »