Never thought I could like Jazz

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Never thought I could like Jazz
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jun 2011, 04:10 am »
Think I'll try some Duke Ellington next....

Try...."Money Jungle"....

And....."Masterpieces by Ellington"...

Two very good recordings... :thumb:

wgscott

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jun 2011, 06:00 am »
I'm in a similar situation.  I was going to buy the iTunes download of the Ken Burns Jazz series, but somehow got diverted and bought the Civil War one instead.  I've got 5 or 6 jazz recordings now.  My very first one was Coltrane's Lush Life. I thought it was going to be about heavy drinking.  ;)  I got it from HD tracks, supposedly 24/96, but I had a look at the fft and it was 44.1 kHz sampled.  It then disappeared from HD tracks, so I guess they knew it was problematic.  It still sounds very good, and I prefer it to Love Supreme. 

I just assumed I had to wear a white polyester leisure suit with a gold medallion to really enjoy it.

simoon

« Reply #22 on: 6 Jul 2011, 07:17 pm »
I find it kind of sad that there are so many misconceptions among so many concerning jazz.

It's not the fault of the public in general by any means, but it's a product of what has been sold as jazz in the mainstream for the last several decades, coupled with the impression that jazz is a 'museum piece'. As if the best that modern jazz has to offer is just more interpretations of typical jazz standards.

And I also blame that very Ken Burns documentary that has been mentioned, and Burns' use of Wynton Marsalis and Crouch as the 'ultimate arbiters' of jazz knowledge.

Isn't it something like 9 episodes leading up to the 60's, then only 1 episode for the following 4+ decades? It would be like making a similar documentary on Classical music, and stopping at Beethoven, as if Bartok, Stravinsky, Webern, Penderecki or Ligheti didn't exist.

This excerpt of a review of the PBS series says it very well:

"Instead, Burns fixates on a particular kind of jazz music that appeals to his PBS sensibility: the swing era. It's a genre of jazz that enables Burns to throw around phrases such as 'Ellington is our Mozart.' He sees jazz as an art form in the most culturally elitist sense, as being a museum piece, beautiful but dead, to be savored like a stroll through a gallery of paintings by the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood"

But back the subject at hand, the music.

Please don't get stuck into thinking that the only 'real jazz' was made before 1960. Jazz is a living, breathing art form that is still innovative and exciting. Jazz didn't stop progressing in the 60's, please don't end your appreciation of it there.

Coltrane, Parker, Davis, Mingus, et al are truly monsters of creativity, technique and innovation.

But so are:

John McLaughlin, Jaco Pastorius, Cecil Taylor, Eberhard Weber, Anthony Braxton, Alan Holdsworth, Ornette Coleman, Nels and Alex Cline, Chic Corea, Steve Coleman, Joe Zawinul, The Brecker Brothers, Pat Metheny, Terje Rypdal, Jan Garbarek....the list goes on and on.

There's avant garde, spontaneous composition, fusion, chamber jazz, metal-jazz, M-BASE. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #23 on: 6 Jul 2011, 08:13 pm »
Like to second Jazzman's rec of that Grant Green Blue Note album.  The pianist on the date, Duke Pearson, has an excellent Blue Note release of his own, Wahoo!  It's a real fine date, too.

wgscott

« Reply #24 on: 6 Jul 2011, 08:16 pm »
So for a complete newcomer, what is the best way to get a flavor for what is out there?  I guess I can just get some CDs from the library, but if you could suggest a couple of titles from that list, it would really be helpful.

To put this in perspective, the only ones from that list I even recognize are Chic Corea and Pat Metheny...  Sorry.   :oops:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #25 on: 6 Jul 2011, 08:26 pm »
Wg, look at the previous post to yours for a couple of recs that won't disappoint.  Jazz is a black art form and the water is fine on those, so come on, JUMP IN!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #26 on: 6 Jul 2011, 08:35 pm »
I have to say for the novice, the Ken Burns Jazz is perfect.
The later stuff is fine, just NOT really great for a newbie!!
For a real novice, i would recommend
Dave Brubeck Time Out (the 1997reissue is the best. with HDCD)
Louis Armstrong Plays W.C.Handy
Count Basie The Complete DeccaRecordings
Miles Davis; Steamin, Workin' Relaxin', Cookin' (four CDs)
Miles Davis Kind of Blue
Benny Goodman Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert
ProperBox set: BeBop Spoken here
ProperBox set: Jazz at the Philharmonic
(plenty more, i am just too lazy to post them all.)

I would say starting with earlier stuff. At least back in the 1950s is best. To get a handle on what was happening.
I personally like a lot of the stuff from the 1930 and 1940s.
For that earlier period the real deal is the sets of stuff dome by the British firm "ProperBox". They make sets of four discs with stuff from the 78 era to the 1950s.
The sound is really good for 1930's 1940s!!!
I own over 45 Proper Box Jazz titles!
 The "Golden Age' of jazz is the 1940's 1950s. Most of the important basic stuff is from that period. So getting a good start in that era give one the basis to explore further.
I recommend a book: All Music Guide to Jazz. The latest edition is only from about 2001. But it has a LOT of great info. Amazon has them available. Even some of the earlier editions are good to have.

It is true Jazz has advanced since the1940's and 1950s!!! but for the beginner, I would say stick with that period first.
Earlier can be good, but it may seem primitive. later is also good, but it may seem too complex and confusing.
 The middle is just right!
« Last Edit: 6 Jul 2011, 11:05 pm by Elizabeth »

wgscott

« Reply #27 on: 7 Jul 2011, 01:51 am »
Thanks!  :D

patela

« Reply #28 on: 7 Jul 2011, 03:05 am »
+1 on the Grant Green - a friend and I heard it for the first time in a restaurant at brunch about 12 years ago, and immediately both rushed home to buy it. 

In fact, I may go put some GG on right now....

Thanks!

hifitommy

there is SO much good jazz
« Reply #29 on: 31 Jul 2011, 05:55 pm »
some suggestions;

weather report-heavy weather, sportin life to start.

miles davis-kind of blue of course and then sketches of spain, siesta, in a silent way

kurt elling-the messenger, and then any of his are worth trying.

patricia barber-modern cool, cafe blue, and then any.

tsuyoshi yamamoto-midnight sugar

diana krall-girl in the other room and thbe dvd-live from paris.

cassandra wilson-blue light til dawn

carmen mc rae-carmen meets monk

that should take a while and be quite enjoyable.

lounge Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 31 Jul 2011, 08:24 pm »
If you want to hear the first light, dawn of bebop get "After Hours" with Charlie Christian and Dizzy and Monk too!  :thumb::thumb: . This is loose, super cool, live-club recordings of Charlie C. in his last day's, Yet he sounds fresh and ready to change the world. And he did! He just didn't live long enough to see it.

http://www.amazon.com/After-Hours-Charlie-Christian/dp/B00004SUFN

frank111

« Reply #31 on: 28 Aug 2011, 03:45 pm »
 I recently purchased some new speakers and have found listening to Jazz Nightly on a nearby FM station(public radio) quite pleasing to the ear. I  have just discovered the Deep Blue Organ Trio, very relaxing after a hard days work. Never thought I could like jazz but I DO !

InfernoSTi

« Reply #32 on: 28 Aug 2011, 04:26 pm »
Check out Bill Evans (Live at the Village Vanguard - Complete Remaster).

I have to echo the "Live at the Village Vanguard" album by The Bill Evans Trio. 

As a bit of background, Bill Evans was the pianist for Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" in 1959.  He formed his famous Trio about the same time.  They recorded four albums, all monsters of jazz.  In 1961 they recorded "Live at the Village Vanguard" 10 days before the bassist was killed in an automobile accident.

The recording is a true live recording and you can hear the clinking of glasses and small talk from the audience if you have a decent setup.  This doesn't take away from the recording and perhaps places it in greater perspective that these guys were playing not in a secluded studio but in the coolest jazz club in New York in 1961.  Wow...

The songs grow on you and years later it won't sound old or tired.  Instead, they become like an old friend that you pick up the conversation just where you left off the last time you talked.  You can listen each musician or you can listen to the Trio.  You can listen for specific details or just take the whole sound in at once. There is a ton of energy that you just feel. This one stands the test of time.

If you like Miles Davis from the late 1950s, you already like Bill Evans.  Spend a couple of bucks and pick this one up: you won't be sorry.

John

P.S. I came out of late 1970s/early 1980s west coast punk scene so I can't stand elevator music of any kind...just can't get there, either!   :lol:

jjc1

« Reply #33 on: 28 Aug 2011, 06:28 pm »
There are also many Bill Evans recordings from the 60's and 70"s with other trios that he formed that are extremely good (like with Eddie Gomez on bass, etc,). Evans was extemely distraught after the tragic death of his bassist Scott La Faro, and it took him a couple of years to get to playing again but eventually he found other musicians to meet his genius. Another great album is "At Shelleys Mannehole". The XRCD is teriffic and also sounds excellent as a download thru the BDP.
  You really can't go wrong with any of Evan's recordings.

hifitommy

like Jazz
« Reply #34 on: 28 Aug 2011, 06:41 pm »
and to this day, pianists are emulating his approach to music.  tord gustavson for instance. 

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #35 on: 28 Aug 2011, 07:05 pm »
Slide Hampton and Count Basie....Not all music was recorded well, everyone knows that, but if you look around you can find some of the old stuff that sounds incredible..

Rclark

« Reply #36 on: 23 Sep 2011, 04:46 am »

I must say, been jonesing to start back on my jazz collection since I got my MMG's, they have definitely taken my enjoyment of jazz to the next level. I stand by my statement that jazz is maybe the one genre that requires a hifi system to be fully appreciated.

Let's see jazz music, Magnepans, I'm starting to fit in a little.

neekomax

« Reply #37 on: 23 Sep 2011, 04:52 am »
I must say, been jonesing to start back on my jazz collection since I got my MMG's, they have definitely taken my enjoyment of jazz to the next level. I stand by my statement that jazz is maybe the one genre that requires a hifi system to be fully appreciated.

Let's see jazz music, Magnepans, I'm starting to fit in a little.

RClark...

Somebody on a 'best audiophile jazz recordings' recommended this recently. I pulled it up on Spotify and have been loving it ever since. Sick piano trio, beautifully recorded!

Peter Erskine - The Interlochen Concert

frank111

« Reply #38 on: 3 Oct 2011, 08:45 pm »
 If you want to listen to 3 hours of Jazz, by a good variety of artists, both current & past, public radio has a nightly show. Its on in the central of the U.S. anyway, Mon-Thurs.

OzarkTom

« Reply #39 on: 3 Oct 2011, 10:52 pm »
Jill Scott's recordings of Jazz and R&B is killer sound on a very good system. The bass and vocals are incredible.

"Beautifully Human: Words And Sounds Vol. 2" is my favorite of hers.