New BDA/P user

SHV

New BDA/P user
« on: 13 Jun 2011, 02:27 pm »
My BDA and BDP arrived last week; unfortunately I am in the middle of moving into a house that still is in the process of renovation/remodel.  Last night, I was able to do a quick set up with sp 1.7 and the BDs.  It is on my home network and works with flash drives.  At the moment, I don't have the time to educate myself on system set up.  (I know nothing about streaming or music servers, etc.) 

Is the BDP compatible with the i-tunes library on my wife's Mac Book and i-phone?  If so, how do I get them to link up?

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: New BDA/P user
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2011, 03:09 pm »
My BDA and BDP arrived last week; unfortunately I am in the middle of moving into a house that still is in the process of renovation/remodel.  Last night, I was able to do a quick set up with sp 1.7 and the BDs.  It is on my home network and works with flash drives.  At the moment, I don't have the time to educate myself on system set up.  (I know nothing about streaming or music servers, etc.) 

Is the BDP compatible with the i-tunes library on my wife's Mac Book and i-phone?  If so, how do I get them to link up?

Steve

Hi Steve,

With the BDP-1 you would have to copy your music library to a USB thumb-drive or 2.5 inch Hard-drive as a start point. Use a thumbdrive or harddrive which is fomated FAT32 or NTSF - which most are if not purchased at a MAC store.

Have you listened to the Bryston Thumb-drive that came with the unit - that will tell you if everything is working on the BDP-1.

On the BDA - just connect your wifes USB output to the USB input on the BDA-1.  Can your dealer help you out with this - is he near-by?

james

SHV

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2011, 07:47 pm »
"Can your dealer help you out with this - is he near-by?"
Nearest listed dealer is ~ 150 miles away.  Purchased my units from Audioadvisor.  No problem downloading from HDtracks and playing on system, also the 10 internet radio stations work fine.   Was interested to know if i-tunes library can be streamed to BDP.  Hopefully in a month or so, I can do some remedial self education on set-up, interface, etc.

Thanks for the response.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2011, 07:53 pm »
"Can your dealer help you out with this - is he near-by?"
Nearest listed dealer is ~ 150 miles away.  Purchased my units from Audioadvisor.  No problem downloading from HDtracks and playing on system, also the 10 internet radio stations work fine.   Was interested to know if i-tunes library can be streamed to BDP.  Hopefully in a month or so, I can do some remedial self education on set-up, interface, etc.

Thanks for the response.

Steve

Hi Steve

No the BDP is not a streamer - all music must be attached.

James

jas007

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2011, 10:38 pm »
Of course, one could always stream music from Itunes to an Airport Express connected to the BDA-1 via an optical cable.  I've done that along with buying a BDP-1.  Sounds OK.

In any event, if your I-tunes library isn't too big, just buy a small portable hard drive and copy all your music to it, and then plug that into the BDP-1.

SHV

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2011, 03:56 am »
I have been using my BDP-1 with flash drives and internet radio without problems...the more I use this digital gadget, the more I like it.  Tonight I showed the wife how to access BDP-1 local and she loves it.  (Hasn't asked "Are those things with the green lights new?"...yet...)

I connected her I-Pod nano with about 2k songs, this PM.  I-POD says it is connected and the double arrows are spinning...BDP-1 shows BDP-1 and' loading" but nothing shows up on my "Home" other than Playlist and when I click that then Radio1.  No change after about an hour of being connected.

Suggestions????

Thanks

Steve

saveloy

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2011, 10:39 am »
Steve,

I may be wrong, but as far as I understand it an iPod cannot be used with the BDP-1. 
You can, however, plug it into the BDA-1 via its rear USB B socket. 

Kyri

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2011, 11:36 am »
I have been using my BDP-1 with flash drives and internet radio without problems...the more I use this digital gadget, the more I like it.  Tonight I showed the wife how to access BDP-1 local and she loves it.  (Hasn't asked "Are those things with the green lights new?"...yet...)

I connected her I-Pod nano with about 2k songs, this PM.  I-POD says it is connected and the double arrows are spinning...BDP-1 shows BDP-1 and' loading" but nothing shows up on my "Home" other than Playlist and when I click that then Radio1.  No change after about an hour of being connected.

Suggestions????

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

The BDP-1 has to see a 'drive' and it does not with the iPOD - we are looking at that and may be abble to do something in the future.

james

SHV

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2011, 02:35 pm »
Thanks for the help...Can I down load the I-tunes library to a fat-32 formatted HD?  If so how?  As you can tell, I am still stuck in analog point A to point B wiring mentality and abilities.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2011, 04:41 pm »
Thanks for the help...Can I down load the I-tunes library to a fat-32 formatted HD?  If so how?  As you can tell, I am still stuck in analog point A to point B wiring mentality and abilities.

Steve

Yes but album art may be an issue if that's important to you.

Just connected the FAT 32 formatted thumbdrive (most come that way unless its a MAC store) and transfer the files from the computer to the thumbdrive using Finder I believe?. (I am not a MAC guy)

james

SHV

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jun 2011, 03:06 pm »
Will the next software release allow me to connect a Mac formatted 6 TB OWC raid to the BDP and have functionality with MAX?

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jun 2011, 05:21 pm »
Will the next software release allow me to connect a Mac formatted 6 TB OWC raid to the BDP and have functionality with MAX?

Steve

Hi Steve - I do not think so - but I will check.  The BDP-1 was never really aimed at customers wanting access-ability of centralized huge libraries.

james

SHV

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jun 2011, 05:45 pm »
Thanks for the reply....Just thinking "out loud" about possibilities of ripping part/all of my cd collection and how to integrate that into my evolving play-back options including the BDA/P.  More than likely, I will repeat the same road as video, repurchase hi-rez versions if/when they become available.

Steve

SHV

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jul 2011, 04:14 pm »
Can the BDA be used to "feed" two pre-amps via the single-ended and balanced puts?  I want to set up a out-door speaker system and Ihave a Parasound pre-amp with balanced inputs that is sitting in the closet.   
The Parasound and an inexpensive amp be more than satisfactory for a pool-side sound system if I can use the BDA as a source.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 5 Jul 2011, 04:16 pm »
Can the BDA be used to "feed" two pre-amps via the single-ended and balanced puts?  I want to set up a out-door speaker system and Ihave a Parasound pre-amp with balanced inputs that is sitting in the closet.   
The Parasound and an inexpensive amp be more than satisfactory for a pool-side sound system if I can use the BDA as a source.

Steve

Hi Steve - yes you can use both outputs at the same time.

james

SHV

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jul 2011, 04:40 pm »
Thanks for the help. (Yikes, I just re-read my terrible typing, thankfully you could decrypt the message. :>)

Steve