Smoked reference 8b

WerTicus

Smoked reference 8b
« on: 12 Jun 2011, 11:44 am »
Ahh crap, the Mrs did the vacuuming and knocked one of the amps  :duh:

She managed to disconnect the + terminal to the speaker while it was on and playing...

neither of us noticed the loss of a channel and some time later we found the source of the mysterious and worsening plastic burning smell to be the amplifier.

I've opened it up and the only damage I can see is melted / burn insulation on one of (outer edge one) the copper choke coils on the amp side.

Is this all the damage i can expect, seems easy to fix if its the only thing that has died.

I'll get a photo now...

WerTicus

Re: Smoked reference 8b
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2011, 12:06 pm »

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2011, 02:45 am »
I think you're going to find more damage than just the burned coil -- it probably overheated because of blown semiconductor(s) in the circuit with it.  Have you contacted Nuforce directly about this?

Now for the editorial comment -- is there really any  excuse these days for lack of overcurrent / open protection of the output devices in a power amp? :nono:

WerTicus

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2011, 03:29 am »
I'm taking it in to my dealer today to see what he says.  But having it explode because it is not plugged into a speaker is rather unexpected / crap.

WerTicus

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2011, 08:25 am »
My dealer (Pat at war audio) said it was pretty normal and that none of the high end amps have protection circuity because it impacts sound quality.

He also said that more of less the entire output board needed to be replaced.

So he has done that for me.... happy to have the tunes back :)